• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: TW0H emitters for sale

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decent quantity of some nice TW0H Lux III Emitters, white, Lambertian

[Edit] 1/1/2006 SOLD OUT.

Prices:
$20 each
$90 for five

These are the new style slug--completely round with a slightly lower die. As this is the current standard design from Lumileds, all future Lux IIIs will have this slug also. [Edit: McGizmo has reported hearing from a rep that the new round slugs have been "adjusted/corrected" back to the old die height. However, no concrete evidence, i.e., a round slugged LED with the old die height, is yet in anyone's hands, so this is unverified rumor at the moment.]

For most modders, the height of the die is easily accommodated if one is using a reflector. Just sand away .01" from the bottom of the reflector and the beam will be fine.

All postpaid via First Class Mail to CONUS, foreign orders please add $2 per order. Orders for $30 or over sent with Delivery Confirmation. For insurance or other mail service, please PM.

PayPal cash to: PayCashPal (at) photonfanatic.com
or
PayPal with credit card (please add 4%) to: fanatic (at) photonfanatic.com

Thanks.

Last edited:

HgRyu

Enlightened
Re: Back in stock: TW0H emitters for sale

Does these have old slug(high) or new slug(low) ?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

BUMP.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have some of those already from an earlier batch that Fred had.
I'm quite happy with them and highly recommend. :)
These go great on a Hotlips with a downboy1000 or a georges80 1000ma bucking regulator in lights of 4.5-16 volts in size. :)
You just have to "bullseye" the led on the hotlips with Arctic Alumina and there ya have it. ;)

pbarrette

Enlightened

Hi 3rd_Shift,

Actually, these are likely going to go into ArcAAA heads with a parabolic reflector cut into the head on my CNC lathe and powered by the LTC3490 circuit to provide ~350mA of constant current into the LED. :)

I've got some RY0J binned Lux1's on the way as well, so I'll have to test both first. Of course, the H Vf bin of PhotonFanatic's LEDs plus the superb W0 tint is what got me in the end. The H bin should provide a decent improvement in runtime over the J bin.

Whichever one works better, I'll still have 10 high quality Lux emitters left that I'll have to do something with. :)

pb

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you provide more detail about how you cut the parabolic reflector on your lathe, please?

Hey, it's my thread and I can hijack it if I want :D

pbarrette

Enlightened

Hi PhotonFanatic,

Sure. :)

I haven't cut the heads yet since they are still in the mail. At this point I am still gearing up for the cutting. So far, I have modeled the parabolic curve in Solidworks, then transfered that to OneCNC 2000 Lathe and generated the G-code required. Now I am working on a custom nylon collet to hold the heads in the lathe without marring the finish. I also ground a HSS toolbit down so it fits inside the head and still has a bit of clearance to move.

I have a spare ArcAAA head that I will be using for testing as well. Hopefully, I can get a good shape on the reflector such that it actually reflects some of the light forward and tightens up the beam some. I've tried a few different things before, to include simply polishing the reflector, then I tried cutting down a NX05 to fit in a bored out ArcAAA head. The NX05 was so short that eventually, the center "lens" broke out and left me with a donut shaped NX05. When I replaced the circuit in that light, I also replaced the NX05 with a chopped up Mag Solitaire reflector.

For the lazy, who don't want to click the links, the various pictures of the heads of each incarnation are here:

Polished only..
ReflectorOff.jpg

Cut down NX05..
ArcAAA--Lux1-NX05-02.jpg

Chopped Mag Solitaire..
DownTheHatch.jpg

There are problems with each. Just polishing the reflector doesn't really tighten up the beam that much. So you are left with a lot of flood and very little throw. The cut down NX05 leaves you with the characteristic square beam when using a high-dome Lux. The solitaire reflector performs suprisingly well in terms of beam shape (certainly better than I expected) but it isn't very sturdy in an exposed housing like the Arc head. I've had that last one in my pocket every day for the past month or so and the reflector looks a lot worse now.

So.. I figured, this time around I should just do what I've been putting off and cut a real parabola into the Arc head. When I'm finished and get the result I want, I'll post up the g-code and build photos. I'll also post the g-code for the custom collet, though that's less likely to be useful to most since I have a Sherline lathe which uses a #1 Morse taper in the spindle. It was a bit of a trick to figure out what the taper angle is since it seems to be specified different ways.

Anyway, if you have any other thread hijacking questions, feel free to fire away. :)

pb

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any idea if this new batch of TWOH has the emitter height set back to the old LuxIII or is still lower than the the old LuxIII? I know that the 5 TWOH I bought from the early batch was lowered and gives a flood instead of a focused hot spot when used with McR20 reflectors.. Don has started a thread regarding this issue here.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

Continuing with the hijack:
Pbarret, it looks like your doing the same as Andrew Wynn with his nano. I wonder, could you make it in less than a year and a half? awr doens't seem to be able to...
Will you be selling these?
[/hijack mode off]

pbarrette

Enlightened

Hi GregW,

Not only is it the new round slug, but also the lower die height. I suspect that all of the Lux3's from now on will have the lower die height as well. It makes sense since these new Lux's are supposed to have a lower thermal resistance. Part of that new, lower thermal resistance is likely the fact that the die is now closer to the "user end" of the slug.

---

UncleFester..

AWR's Nano is a bit different in that his lights will be using a Li-ion battery with an LDO circuit to regulate current. I plan on using a boost circuit so alkalines, NiMh's and 1.5v lithiums can be used. Yes, I plan on selling these and yes it will be done within the next month or two.

---

Sorry for the hijack PF.

pb

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peter,

No problem with the hijack--after all I started it. :D

Plus, I'm interested in the topic and you are trying to use these LEDs, so it is still relevant to other buyers, too.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

PhotonFanatic said:
gregw,

It clearly states in the top post that these are the new, round slug. :D

Based on Don's post here, it seems that Lumileds may have actually moved the emitter height back up to where it was with the old LuxIII in the new batches, even though it is the new slug.. It may seem that the lowered emitter height in the first few batches of TWOH and UX1K maybe just an aberration. So, just because it is the new slug doesn't mean that it has lowered emitter height.. :shrug: Is there anyway you can do a comparison and let us know? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested in this...

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

gregw said:
Based on Don's post here, it seems that Lumileds may have actually moved the emitter height back up to where it was with the old LuxIII in the new batches, even though it is the new slug.. It may seem that the lowered emitter height in the first few batches of TWOH and UX1K maybe just an aberration. So, just because it is the new slug doesn't mean that it has lowered emitter height.. :shrug: Is there anyway you can do a comparison and let us know? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested in this...

gregw,

I measured the height on a TW0J with the Double-D slug and the die was .025" above the black shoulder of the LED.

The same measurement on the new, round slug TW0Hs gave a reading of .015", so the die is .01" lower on this set of TW0Hs.

I have yet to receive any newer TW0Hs that what I am selling here, although I do have a shipment on the way. So there is no way that I can confirm or deny what Don is reporting--that the die height on the very latest round slug LEDs has been returned to the .025" height.

So for now--these are indeed the new round slug, with the lower die.

Last edited:

pbarrette

Enlightened

Hi PhotonFanatic,

I think the lower die height is actually good news for me. Since the die height is lower, it means that I effectively end up with a deeper reflector. Since I don't have a whole lot of space to work with in the first place, the extra .01" in focal length may help some.

Obviously, it's not that great for people who want to use existing optics which are optimized for the original die height. For my application though, it effectively increased the length of my Arc heads by another hundredth of an inch.

pb

Bob_G

Enlightened

Based on Don's post here, it seems that Lumileds may have actually moved the emitter height back up to where it was with the old LuxIII in the new batches, even though it is the new slug..
gregw - more recent developments in the saga here

Fred, I'll take one :)