8 LED & 4 LED Flashlight ($8.99 shipped) at surpluscomputers

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best I can see from the pic's, these are the ones ACO hardware sells around here for $3 (3xAA 4 LED, not 2xAA) and $6 (3xAAA 8 LED). On sale for $2 and $4 respectively, I bought several, but did not feel I got more than my money's worth. I canibalized the head of an 8 LED for a close flood on top of a 5W incan. bike light setup, works OK, but only up real close.

The 3 x AA is plastic, and you just tighten the head to make contact between the metal strip from the spring in the tail and the edge of the LED assembly, kind of weak switching. The intensity is less than the average Dorcy 1xAAA, but current draw is low, so run time is extreme. The 3 x AAA is probably pot metal, LED museum has a review of one like this, but uses a reverse tail clickie, and is decently bright. However, it pulls as much current as a 3 x AAA Dorcy Metal Gear with Luxeon I, and is not at all in the same league for output, but then it is much more compact.

Again, this is based on the photos, but every detail I can see matches my lights. It appears you get both lights to your door for $8.99, so I would say if you aren't expecting too much, it's a fair price.