well i got vonage

raggie33

*the raggedier*
so far i give it 3 thumbs up very good tech suport they answer then phone oin less then 3 minutes it seems.the sound quality is very good.has a lot a features and cost less then my regeler phone. and it has long distance

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Cool beans, Raggie! I do recall that their service comes with a lot of features that the regular telcos charge extra for. Keep us posted with your experiences with it!

TorchMan

Enlightened
One thing I have to wonder about is can you use it in a black out? My cable offers digital phone, and it has battery back up, but if the power is out in a wide enough, or the right area, i.e., the cable company has no power, you still lose service. And I don't know if it's marketing or not, but many alarm comapnies recommend you keep your land line, and have their techs come out if you have VoIp.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome to the club raggie!!! I love my vonage!!

Torch,
No it will not work in a power outage (unless you have backup power).

Doug

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
... and if you're lucky enough to have backup power, the cable company has to have backup power in their fiber node as well as the trunk leg that feeds your home. These days many cable operators that are serious about VOIP are doing so, so you MIGHT be ok, but it's going to vary by cable operator and the vintage of their outside plant. However many people own cell phones also so they're not worried about temporary outages if the power goes out.

Make sure you go through the e-911 registration process with Vonage. VOIP is different from a landline for 911 purposes.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i never use phone dureing black out anyways i use the time to refeclt and relax hect i seldem use phone at all well yesterday i did a bit cause i wanted to try vonage

Kris

Newly Enlightened
TorchMan said:
One thing I have to wonder about is can you use it in a black out? My cable offers digital phone, and it has battery back up, but if the power is out in a wide enough, or the right area, i.e., the cable company has no power, you still lose service. And I don't know if it's marketing or not, but many alarm comapnies recommend you keep your land line, and have their techs come out if you have VoIp.

Vonage is a really good VOIP service (you can save alot of money).

No it will not work in a power outage but Vonage has a network availability feature. If your network connection is disrupted your calls will be automatically forwarded to the number of your choice (mobile phone...).

For your security system you can have your security company add a cellular transceiver to your security system, this will transmit your systems alarm signal. You can use a cellular transceiver as your primary communication device or as a backup device.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I had Vonage for about a year. I liked the service a great deal, and the features such as e-mail and web access to voicemail messages, setting up your own call forwarding, and the online viewing of phone logs was awesome. The idea that I could take the VOIP adapter to any broadband connection on earth, and after 30 seconds to re-register itself with Vonage's servers, the phone would ring with my "home" number if it were called, was cool.

The biggest plus was not giving my local baby bell any of my money. :)

We only discontinued the service because my wife and I had lived for a year + as "cellular only" users, and even at the cheap price for Vonage, we hardly ever used it. We always have our cell phones in our pockets, and have lots of airtime, and many of our family and friends are on the same carrier, giving us even more free calling.

With the majority of people using cordless phones, they won't work in a power outage anyway. We didn't even have a corded phone that would work off of the phone line voltage alone as a backup.

However, if you are concerned about 911 service, here's a little secret neither Vonage or the local "Bell" will tell you. Even if your outside line is "dead" with no dial tone, but as long as it's got a physical connection to the phone company, 911 will still work. It's required by law that the telco switches will still take a 911 call on any line. The telco won't advertise this fact as they want people to subscribe, and Vonage won't mention this as a "backup strategy" because they don't want to point out the weaknesses in 911 with VOIP. (Which admittedly are being fixed quickly in most areas.)

So if you're a VOIP or just a Cell-only type of phone user, get yourself a "red phone" and leave it connected to one jack that is wired to the outside phone line for 911 dialing only. Keep a sharp eye out for a "legitamate" emergency nearby like a fender bender, a reckless driver, threatening stray dog etc, so you have way to test. That way you have confidence that it will work for "your" emergency.