Will the Nite-Ize LED Drop-in for MiniMag 2AA work on Brinkmann Legend 2AA?

MVB

Newly Enlightened
srvctec said:
If the Brinkman Legend is the one that looks so much like a MiniMag that you have to read the engraved name to tell them apart, then YES. If this is a more recent Brinkman model, than I am not sure.

I have a Nite-Ize drop-in in my Brinkman 2AA MiniMag clone, and it works OK. It's not all that bright (I'm sopiled by Luxeons, especially in the Fenix L1P...) but it's a low cost conversion. No spot beam, though. Flood only.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know they will fit in the Quest Minimag clones available @ 3 for $7.50 from ****'s Sporting Goods...

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a pic of the Brinkmann Legend 2aa:

BrinkmannLegend2aa.jpg

skillet

Enlightened
It will work, I have one in my Legend right now.. However, you can't use the included "reflector" that comes with the Nite-Ize module. It doesn't seem to affect the light output anyway.. I do recommend putting mineral glass lenses in all your Nite-Ize mods.. The Mag and Brinkman have the same size lens(22.5mm)

I saw those lights available at Crawford Tool.. I thought I might get one of each color and put Nite-Ize in 'em just to have something a little different..

skillet

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
skillet said:
It will work, I have one in my Legend right now.. However, you can't use the included "reflector" that comes with the Nite-Ize module. It doesn't seem to affect the light output anyway.. I do recommend putting mineral glass lenses in all your Nite-Ize mods.. The Mag and Brinkman have the same size lens(22.5mm)

I saw those lights available at Crawford Tool.. I thought I might get one of each color and put Nite-Ize in 'em just to have something a little different..

skillet

Cool! I'm going to have to check my local Wal-Mart for the Nite-Ize mod.

:thanks:

InfidelCastro

Banned
srvctec said:
Cool! I'm going to have to check my local Wal-Mart for the Nite-Ize mod.

:thanks:

It's nothing special. It does at least, make a 2AA Maglite useful for an around the house at night light.

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
Sure am glad I found this forum- I have learned so much already!
Here's my first question-
I have one of the older 3AA Brinkmans- almost identical to the 2AA shown above. It has never had a particularly good pattern and the bulbs are not readily available....
Would the Nite-Ize MM conversion work in my 3AA (mainly asking about the 3 batteries being too much voltage)?
I have one in my std MM 2AA and it works fine, I already checked that the new reflector won't fit the Brinkman- I'd probably just use it reflector-less...or maybe drill out the opening on the existing reflector????

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Dont try and use 3 x AA's to power the Nite-Ize or you'll fry the module.
The Nite-Ize is rated for 3v not the 4.5v which 3 x AA's will supply. You can still use the module in the light but you'll have to use a spacer in place of one of the AA batteries. A spacer could be easily made from a a few nuts and plastic washers + a suitable length of screw. Another option would be a AA diameter length of dowel with a hole drilled through it utilising a length of wire etc. No rocket science involved.

Doug

Last edited:

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answer- can't say that's the answer I was hoping to hear though, bummer. I had read the other post about the Nite-Ize C/D version being adaptable for the 2-6 cell choices..Oh well, glad I asked.
I have actually already made some fake AA's/spacers just because the 3AA bulbs are not readily available (and I have plenty of 2AA bulbs)..I used a spent 30-06 brass cartridge and shaped the open end down to a blunt point, and wrapped it in electrical tape....the screw/nuts idea is a good one too!
Rando

Lenny7

Newly Enlightened
srvctec said:

I have an older Brinkmann Legend...maybe 12 years old or better...the kind style that looks like a MiniMag clone, and the NiteIze drop in did NOT fit. I can't recall now why it wouldn't, but it didnt' appear obvious, at least to me, how to easily make it work.

bhjazz

Newly Enlightened
I'll be testing this out today on a non-Legend 2AA Brinkmann from..maybe the 90s??? It looks like it will fit...the conversion kits are $12.95 at REI which is only a few minutes from me. I'm sure the 3W TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 would net a brighter light, but I'll try the nite-ize. Take one for the team!

Here's the old Brink now...
2007_0911Flashlight0001R.jpg

And the all-important head...
2007_0911Flashlight0003R.jpg

Last edited:

sims2k

Enlightened

skillet

Where do you get mineral glass lenses for the AA MiniMag ? I would like to put them in my collection of AA MiniMags with the TLE-EX5 drop in mods.

bhjazz

Newly Enlightened
I'll be testing this out today on a non-Legend 2AA Brinkmann
The answer is a definite...maybe. My old light seems to be suffering from far more problems than the bulb at this point so it did not work. The LED unit and the reflector fit perfectly, however.

sparc

Newly Enlightened
Here is a pic of the Brinkmann Legend 2aa:

BrinkmannLegend2aa.jpg

Anyone know if the TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 is a direct drop in replacement in this Brinkmann Legend AA light?

it's a great little light that i'd love to upgrade to LED

sparc

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if the TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 is a direct drop in replacement in this Brinkmann Legend AA light?
I gave it a shot. TLE-5EX seems to fit pretty well.

Had a little trouble getting the reflector centered, but eventually got it to center correctly.

Nice upgrade for this light. Thanks CPF.