Inova T3 or Pelican M6 3W?

Marty

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for something bright that has good throw and spill (isn't everyone LOL). From what I can see, these 2 are good candidates. Which do you prefer? Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep the price around $80 or less.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've never had the chance to play with that particular Pelican but I have a T3 and it isn't really known for its great sidespill... just a few rings really but if you are walking through woods when the moon isn't very bright, the T3's sidespill certainly won't illuminate the ground right in front of you while being shined forward... It's literally probably in the top five bad lights for a use like that.

igabo

Enlightened
If you're looking for sidespill, Inova's aren't very good for that, the beam is very narrow, compared to other lights. M6 LED is quite expensive too, so personally, I would suggest a Nuwai 3W, http://store.advancedmart.com/nulu3wledalf.html. It has a great sidespill, better than both lights mentioned above, though throw is diminished.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
I agree also with what has been said. I actually purchased an Inova T3 yesterday and last night went outside to do some comparisons between some of my other LED lights and ended up taking the Inova T3 back for a refund today.

It has a very tight focused beam but no sidespill and in comparison to my CPF LE 16 or my Dorcy 3D Cell for distance it seems weaker.

The Nuwaii Q3 would be a very good option for you.

iNDiGLo

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova T3 has the advantage of runtime--2 hours versus 1.5 hours for the Pelican M6 3W. But the Pelican has more throw, more total output, and much better sidespill. The Pelican is a smaller flashlight, too.

Be forewarned that the Nuwai Q3 will give you much less throw and output than either the T3 or the M6 3W. (That's not the same as the 3W Nuwai flashlight that igabo linked to.)

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
I own a Pelican M6 3W LED and also an Inova XO3 (same beam as T3)... and I just happened to take them both along for our walk tonight.

ASDalton has accurately nailed the differences between these 2 lights. They're both very good lights.

The PM6 3W certainly has more useful spill, although I'm not yet adjusted to the sharply defined hot-spot centered in its hazy corona. In some ways, I find the tightly-focused XO3 almost preferable to use for our nightly walks because its limited side-spill allows more discrete "low-profile" navigating here in woodsy suburbia.

Both lights are relative bargains... and keepers. It all depends on the subtle performance differences that best suit your needs.

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
The T3 doesn't really have enough sidespill for walking round at night. The M6 3W would meet your requirements much better. It is however, over your budget. Personally, I'd say go for the M6 3W, as it's not far out of your budget. Also, you might want to consider the Nuwai Q3 as mentioned, or the Streamlight 4aa Luxeon as alternatives that satisfy all your requirements, including cost.

:)

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Marty, some further thoughts...

WHERE you'll use this new flashlight will make all the difference in the world.

Questions:

1. Inside?
2. Outside -- in totally dark woods and fields?
3. Outside -- where the streets/sidewalks/yards have competing ambient light clutter... and you just need to light up targeted shadows 50-100 ft. away?

If your uses are mostly 1. and 2., I'd recommend the PM6 3 W. If your main uses are per #3., either will work well, though I'd actually prefer the Inova T3/XO3 for this scenario.

Of course, you can always use the "ceiling bounce" method with the Inova to turn it into a passable "inside" illuminator for rooms, barns, warehouses, etc.

Last edited:

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
I dont know what the big deal with sidespill is. Sidespill sidespill sidespill!
Yes. Everyone should know that Inovas dont have alot of sidespill.
However, Joe Shmo doesnt need alot of sidespill does he?

I remember that 10 years ago there was no sidespill unless you had a reflector the size of a cantalope. Everyone had a plastic light or a 3D mag. :sick2: My how things change.

The XO3, T3, T4, and T5 have more sidespill than a Mag3D incan fully blown. I have never found that any of my Inovas werent up to the task and that I needed more sidespill... unless I was out hunting with the X1. How dumb would that be?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
pfmedic said:
The XO3, T3, T4, and T5 have more sidespill than a Mag3D incan fully blown. I have never found that any of my Inovas werent up to the task and that I needed more sidespill...

Agreed! But being someone that has spent a fair bit of time in very remote woods (ie... no trails, just woods!) I find side spill very useful. I'm not saying the Inova lights aren't up to that task with with something like the Pelican, you can hold the light just about parallel to the ground, shinning ahead, and the spill beam will more than adequately light the ground at your feet and let you know if you're getting ready to walk into saplings. This ins't nearly as important to folks that mostly use their lights in established cities with freshly-mowed backyards or paved sidewalks and park trails, but when you're walking over extremely uneven terrain that has never been bush hogged, let alone mowed with an actual mower, side spill becomes radically more important.

In my opinion only... which is equally worthless as everyone else on the forum!
icon12.gif

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Marty, also consider the great SF L5. Good Throw, great Spill.

Yeah, at $180 retail/$150 street, it'll bust your budget. It'll also do everything you want better than the alternatives... and spare you from a broken ankle or a thorn-bush in the eye. That value increment has its price... and long-term cost benefits.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PM6 that has been highly modified, however before you discount me.. before I had it modified (for a day), I used the PM6 against my other throw lights. and the PM6 hands down beat them all, it has great throw and a well defined hotspot, the spill to me was very useful. If I were you it would be an easy answer. get the PM6 you won't be disappointed.

batterystation still has some but not many serialized HA III versions.

doug

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Streamlight Tasklight 2L for $70. Lux 3 with 2 power levels is hard to beat.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
Those aren't in his requirements. HA3 is always good but I would give it up in a second to get 2 power levels. Personal preference. SL 2L should be a serious contender with the ones mentioned.

Longbow

Enlightened
Marty, HA III isn't everything it's cracked-up to be, but then neither is flood or throw. A worthy flashlight should also boast runtime. The Inova T2 is not your father's X1, but rather a nice (useful) blend of throw and flood, tempered with 5 !/2 hrs. of flat regulated runtime. BTW it's built with a coated glass lens, rear clickie, HA III, is waterproof, and has a lifetime warrantee. Prices vary from $99.00 to $39.99.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few weeks ago I was doing come calculations of flashlight efficiency, and the Inova T2 turned out to be one of the best 123A flashlights as measured by lumen-hours per cell.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
Marty, HA III isn't everything it's cracked-up to be, but then neither is flood or throw. A worthy flashlight should also boast runtime. The Inova T2 is not your father's X1, but rather a nice (useful) blend of throw and flood, tempered with 5 !/2 hrs. of flat regulated runtime. BTW it's built with a coated glass lens, rear clickie, HA III, is waterproof, and has a lifetime warrantee. Prices vary from $99.00 to $39.99.

Brightguy.com has them for about $48.

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
Well, he did ask for other suggestions, and someone did throw the Inova T2 into the mix. What about the new Fenix L2P? Fully regulated, HA III and running on a pair of AA's. Chuck a couple of NiMH rechargeables in it and enjoy a 4-hour runtime (according to Fenix). Fenix even throws in those extra goodies with it like they do with the L1P. Should be available shortly, I think. I certainly intend to get one as soon as they are. Price is certainly right. Just my $0.02.