what's the advantage of a purpose-made headlight over....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
what's the advantage of a purpose-made headlight over a pocket light in a headband adapter like the Nite-Ize headband?

i'm wondering what the big deal is with a dedicated headlight, after all, for around $5 i can get a Nite Ize headband and put any number of my EDC's in it...

Minimag with Nite-Ize retrofit
Inova X0
Inova X5

heck, i could probably sew on another stretchy-fabric strap or use a velcro strap and fit a NIMag on each side....

with a headband i have the versatility of running any of my EDC lights as a headlight or a handheld light, wheras a headlight can only be used as a headlight...

InTheDark

Enlightened
MacTech said:
with a headband i have the versatility of running any of my EDC lights as a headlight or a handheld light, wheras a headlight can only be used as a headlight...

Why does a headlight only have to be used as a headlight? Your hand is much better adapted to holding irregular shaped objects than your forehead is. It's much easier to hold a headlight in your hand, than strapping a flashlight to your head. A nite-ize will attach a flashlight to your head, but not very well. It's usually pointed at the wrong spot, at the wrong angle, being blocked by hair, and not very comfortable to boot. If you actually try one and compare that to a purpose made headlight, you'll notice a big difference in comfort and utility. I have the nizeize headband, it was after buying it that I started to appreciate my headlamps. I'd rather have a headlight than a flashlight anyday.

The only advantage I can think of for the Nite-ize is that it lets you select which flashlight you want to use in a particular situation. But with the new headlamps that have come out with various power levels and flood settings, it seems like this is no longer an advantage unless you have a specialty flashlight that just isn't made into a headlamp.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
MacTech said:
what's the advantage of a purpose-made headlight over a pocket light in a headband adapter like the Nite-Ize headband?

Good point; but I think it all depends on your intended use.

Although a minimag in a Nite-Ize band will work just fine, you can't beat the built-in versatility of dedicated headlamps. With them you can have the option of different battery packs/battery options, larger reflectors (some with focusing), LED/incan hybrids, LED/Luxeon combos, high powered bulbs (as in BD Soliras), etc.

For certain tasks that require a versatily light source, you can't beat a headlamp. For general walk-around camp to the loo kind of tasks, the Nite-Ize will do fine.

Right now I have a modded miniMag on my bike helmet. It works OK, but a dedicated helmet lamp would offer a broader range of focusing and beam aiming options. I'm sort of stuck with how to aim the beam because of how my helmet is built (of course I could build a custom holder -which I have-). Also, until I get my hotwire mod from AuroraLite running, the miniMag just doesn't put out enough light for my needs.

I'm rambling...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked this very question two winters ago. While I still throw a NiteIze or home made head band into my coat pocket or hip pack, they don't get used for long periods. I even had wider elastic loops made with Velcro so I could tilt a light on the strap. The strap takes up little room and is handy to take along.

However, purpose built head lamps (good ones, anyway) are usually better for fit, stability, and weight distribution. When I know I'll be out for awhile I usually take a head lamp but a headband is a great accessory when you don't want to carry the bulk of a head lamp you may not use - that way you can go hands free if necessary.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
One advantage of a headlamp is it is in the middle of your forehead and aim is better closeup and at a distance without moving your head to the side.
Other than that is is about the form factor and usability. I have been tempted to
do the mag+niteize adapter but lack of a decent switch on the mag makes it less suitable than my headlamps with switches on them for quick on/off.
Another thing is most headlamps are mostly plastic and your aluminum lights weigh a noticable amount more.