KL1 Gen Serial Numbers?

Hammerhead

Newly Enlightened
Is there any way to tell from the serial number on a KL1 head what generation it is, and the approximate manufacture date?

I just bought an E1L that looks identical to the photo on Surefire's site, but in the process of twaddling with the other heads to find the right HA3 color match (yeah, I know...) I lost track of which head was which, and didn't think to check for the highest S#. So I'm curious to know whether there are any variances from one serial number to another that I ought to be aware of.

The S# on the KL1 head that came home with me is A09502.

Thanks!

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL1 generations are fairly easy. I assume all the heads you have are GEN4. GENS1-2-3 look quite different as the bezels have heavy rings around them and the GEN4 is smooth.

If all of yours are GEN4, AFAIK there are no significant changes other than the standard LED variations.

I don't know how to decode the SN's.

Mark

Hammerhead

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Mark, I wasn't clear. I only have the one head, I was just being anal about HA3 color match, so I was swapping out the KL1 head on the new unit amongst the other two that the store had on demo, and just lost track of which was which. So I became concerned that there might have been earlier "less refined" versions. This one has the optic, so I guess it's Gen4. Just became concerned that I might have hosed myself by getting an earlier firmware rev, or lower grade diode, or something.

Great little light, btw. Nicer than I expected, and I've come to expect a lot from Surefire, since I own an M2 already. Looking forward to using this a LOT.

Hammerhead

Newly Enlightened
I was just matching HA color. I didn't think to check tint, but this one is alright by me. A little on the 'ice blue' side, but other than that, hard to notice unless compared to an indandescent beam such as from my M2.