My wife needs a flash/spot light..

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
So she can find the dogs when they run off chasing god knows what in the 10000000 acres of woods and cotton fields surrounding out house. Two black dogs and no outside lights have broken her resolve not to spend money on anything other than purses and shoes. So I need some help from the experts.

I was thinking a rechargable but it is not often I get the opportunity to waste cash on a good light so please offer some advice.

Thanks John

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ropes4u said:
So she can find the dogs when they run off chasing god knows what in the 10000000 acres of woods and cotton fields surrounding out house. Two black dogs and no outside lights have broken her resolve not to spend money on anything other than purses and shoes. So I need some help from the experts.

I was thinking a rechargable but it is not often I get the opportunity to waste cash on a good light so please offer some advice.

Thanks John

Wow...amazingly similar needs as Alan in this thread...

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99750

JM-99

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a thought, equip the dog with light not just the person.

There have been a number of threads about LED collars that are bright though some folks also use normal AAA lights on the collar.

-LT

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Streamlight TL-3---great throw in a small size at a bargain price. Best deal I've seen recently is $47.74 w/free ship at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008VE4C/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Then get a DSD charger and 2 protected 17500 rechargeable cells from AW (great guy to deal with) for $38.00 total. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97268&page=1

For $85.74 you have a very nice set-up. I likewise try to keep up with where the dogs are heading at night, and, without going up to magmod size, this is the one I like best.

Good luck.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most important thing is to get something on the dogs. There are numerous reflective or led collars available. Pet stores carry them and there are a bunch of places online. I favor a reflective collar because they always work and there are not issues with batteries or reliability if wet.

For the light stick with an incandescent. They are superior in lighting up an animals eyes compared to even the brightest LED. This is the easiest way to spot a dog or any other mammal in the dark.

A Streamlight Stinger or Polystinger would work great. Keep it on the charger near the door and it will always be ready. Also a fine light to have for other people uses as well as dog finding.

Mark

moonkat

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here, but I can relate ...
I got the Thor 10Mcp and 15Mcp spots and both work well for dog finding and even some outdoor activity.

We used to be in the dark looking for our two Golden Retrievers in back yard or spotting anything from the deck until I got the Thors. Now they stand out even in the spill (they are light colored) and I have surveillance beyond the property - 1,000 yards plus.

I also park the 15Mcp in the pasture and use it to play fetch with the pups.

CLHC

Flashaholic
What about getting those inexpensive NiteIze LED Reflective fandangled thing?

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
Thank You for the suggestions I will look into it. She has reflective collars on the dogs already but they sometimes get to rooting out turtles, opossums or coons and their heads are burried...

John

AlanH

Enlightened
they sometimes get to rooting out turtles, opossums or coons and their heads are burried...

And I thought I had problems !

I would just love to see my better half's face if my lot came back with a turtle or a racoon. Mind you I suppose in deepest darkest Essex, I guess they'd make the papers !

Alan