12 Ga Shotgun Weapon Light advice

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a Malkoff M31w. The M31 series is the low voltage variant that will run on a single cr123.

Note that many (most?) other drop ins will not fit the Malkoff host. It's kind of a 1 direction thing... Malkoff drop ins fit other hosts but other drop ins don't fit Malkoff Hosts.

To be honest, you're not going to find another drop in that will run on a single 123 that will perform much better than the Malkoff. You're getting almost 300 lumens in what I would describe as a floodier than average beam pattern (large hotspot with good spill). There really aren't that many drop ins out there that run on a single CR123 cell (compared to a single Li Ion or multiple CR123s) and getting much more than 300 lumens out of one is going to require a significant increase in current draw. Using an XM-L might get you those extra lumens and definitely increase your flood. As you say, see what Vinh or NailBender can do but again note that those drop ins won't necessarily fit the MD1.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
It's a Malkoff M31w. The M31 series is the low voltage variant that will run on a single cr123.

Note that many (most?) other drop ins will not fit the Malkoff host. It's kind of a 1 direction thing... Malkoff drop ins fit other hosts but other drop ins don't fit Malkoff Hosts.

To be honest, you're not going to find another drop in that will run on a single 123 that will perform much better than the Malkoff. You're getting almost 300 lumens in what I would describe as a floodier than average beam pattern (large hotspot with good spill). There really aren't that many drop ins out there that run on a single CR123 cell (compared to a single Li Ion or multiple CR123s) and getting much more than 300 lumens out of one is going to require a significant increase in current draw. Using an XM-L might get you those extra lumens and definitely increase your flood. As you say, see what Vinh or NailBender can do but again note that those drop ins won't necessarily fit the MD1.

I figured out the voltage thing today, but didn't know other P60's wouldn't fit. Not that huge of a deal. The M31 looks pretty good.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Vin and nailbender modules would work just fine with the oveready host. Both would be safe in a weaponlight as long as they are potted. XML2 or even XPL would be more floody and give significant more output at lower current draws. For a single cell, you probably would not want to go above 2 amps, maybe a little less. The M31 is rock solid anyhow.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know we're past it in this thread but the Stock MDC SHO comes in @ 2.6 OZ with CR123 for those who might be curious.

Last edited:

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
I know we're past it in this thread but the Stock MDC SHO comes in @ 2.6 OZ with CR123 for those who might be curious.

I almost hate to post this, but since I'm amongst a bunch of Obsessive compulsive Flashoholics perhaps you guys won't nail me too bad.

I've decided that the MD1 Malokoff and some 2 Cell options are only about 1.6 oz different. I decided I think I'll swallow that to get the ability to select possibly better dropins. Also, if I followed what is said earlier, Malkoff lights only take Malkoff dropins? If that's true, I'll have to factor that in. I imagine this makes them better heatsinks though.

The MDC is in a permanent penalty box. The mount manufacturer says I can't use it and he is having some issues with tailcaps that are smooth, like the Surefire Fury 2's and 3's. They are coming loose under recoil. I read about 25 pages on it last night. If the cap is knurled, no issues. There are ways to address this in various ways and I'm sure he'll figure it out on his end.

One thing is for certain, I have to use that mount. For that gun, it is the only real solution, everything else pales. I did a lot of research on mounts for the M4 because frankly his mount is very expensive. But they all had PITA problems, weight problems, design problems, reliability problems, etc. Basically junk. He is fair in his price considering how many he sells though, as well as his quality.

I really want to have a long term platform to upgrade to a P60 dropin if an interesting one comes down the road or I decide to re-purpose or change the light.

So this makes me think Elzetta Bravo. I would have a solid light, not super lightweight, that would take a P60. It would be about 1.2 oz heavier than the MD1 above. The MD1 would lock me into the M31 and be a niche light. Haven't totally ruled it out yet but I'm leaning towards the Elzetta.

Of course going 2 cell opens everything up again...

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta host with Malkoff M61 would be awesome.

The M60 will get you more flood 235Lumens, M61 more brightness more throw 325 Lumens @ 1.5 HRS. You pick the tailcap on that one.... Clicky / Twisty Hi/Low Hi/Strobe remote switch ect....

I find the 325 Lumens M61 fine for indoor usage....others may think it's to bright.

The MD1 crossed my mind several times but I neglected to post.

Yes, Malkoff makes Malkoff dropins for the MD2, but also for Maglite / Surefire / Streamlight / and Elzetta hosts if thats what your asking. OverReady makes hosts as well that accommodate Malkoff or Oveready drop ins.

Problems with SF's P2X P3X coming loose? You mean the mount?

The 3 cell Elzetta would be cool for a handheld, but now your really bulging around the belly mounting that.

I think the Elzetta host with an M61 would be a happy medium.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elzetta Bravo can't be considered a P60 host. It's only compatible with Malkoff drop-ins. If flexibility is desired (though I've yet to find a single emitter drop-in that surpasses a Malkoff), a 6P would be a better option.

The MD2 doesn't use a socket to hold the drop-in, like the Surefire P,C, and Z, and Elzetta. The drop-in is secured in the head via a threaded ring that pressed it against the front of the head. The only direct contact between drop-in and head exists at the front and rear surfaces.

Last edited:

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it will be the Elzetta 2 Cell. I guess I'll try the M61. I am thinking about the M91B for the Elzetta Charlie, I'll have it next week. The 91B looks like it is better than the AVS head to me.

The thing I was mentioning about the Malkoff was pointed out previously that an MD series like may not take other manufacturers dropins, whereas a light like the Elzetta may take the other guys. It must be true, I read it on the Internets...

The problem they are having with the mounts is that if the finish is kinda smooth on the tailcap and barrel, the rings on the mount clamp are allowing the light to slip under X amount of 12 ga Buckshot or slugs. I'll post the pic below, but you can see that in an effort to cut as much weight as possible off the mount, they skeletonized the clamp area. I'm gonna suggest they quit milling that out.

I'm using the Elzetta 3 cell Charlie with the Klingon Crenualtions as my grab my light and Glock and go see what that noise is "kit" that I sleep with. It is replacing a Fenix TK15. Which is a pretty good light.

Benelli%20M4%20Light%20Mount.jpg

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
The Elzetta Bravo can't be considered a P60 host. It's only compatible with Malkoff drop-ins. If flexibility is desired (though I've yet to find a single emitter drop-in that surpasses a Malkoff), a 6P would be a better option.

The MD2 doesn't use a socket to hold the drop-in, like the Surefire P,C, and Z, and Elzetta. The drop-in is secured in the head via a threaded ring that pressed it against the front of the head. The only direct contact between drop-in and head exists at the front and rear surfaces.

Hmmm, another nice piece of info.

So which has the better heat sinking, the Elzetta or the MD2?

So a M61 and M91B should work fine in the Elzettas?

A Surefire Dropin won't go in an Elzetta? I was under the impression that if you took the spring off they had similar profiles.

Thank god I'll have my Solarforce L2P to fall back on when it gets here!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drop-in to socket fit of the Elzetta is very tight....much more so than the 6P. The increased direct contact and decreased air space leads me to believe that the Bravo transfers heat better from LED to external air. Since the MD2 head works well, this increased thermal efficiency is likely unnecessary.

Yes, the M91B will work well in the Charlie. My M91AW is one of my favorite high voltage drop-ins, but I don't think it's spent much, if any, time in a Charlie.

I have not tried a Surefire P60 incan LED or incandescent bulb in an Elzetta. I have tried Nailbender, Vihn, PFlexPro, and Oveready drop-ins.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
(though I've yet to find a single emitter drop-in that surpasses a Malkoff), a 6P would be a better option.

I'll say it again. Surefire 6P original and a malkoff M61. :)

There you go, 2 experienced shooters, both Malkoff with a 6P. I don't support L2P as its a direct ripoff of the 6P.

I don't care for SF either, but the 6P is an older model from the glory days of PK. It's a solid and time proven host.

I will admit though les, you got so many lights flying around Im a bit lost......glad your learning thought, it's part of the process.

All I can really contribute is Malkoff anything is the most solid stuff available. Period.

I keep it simple for my application, a MDC SHO HA followed up by a 1XCR123 MDC Throw when I get the cash.

Thats my "collection".

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
You certainly would be confused by my Spyderco obsession then...

Well then you can tell me what direction these **** bearings go on my Spyderco Dominio Blue.

They are ever so slightly different on either side. The knife is back together and perfect, but the bearings are haunting me.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to try to simplify the last page or so.

Malkoff makes lots of drop ins. Flood, throw, and in between. They are all suitable for use in weapon applications. All of them will fit in any Malkoff host, Elzetta host, or Surefire host.

Vinh and Nailbender also make solid dropins. They are also available in a variety of configurations. They will not fit in Malkoff hosts or Elzetta hosts but will fit in surefire hosts.

If you don't feel the need to go outside the Malkoff family, you are safe with a Malkoff or Elzetta host.

If you are considering a Malkoff drop in but may also consider others in the future, get a surefire host.

Tada!

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Well then you can tell me what direction these **** bearings go on my Spyderco Dominio Blue.

They are ever so slightly different on either side. The knife is back together and perfect, but the bearings are haunting me.

I just found out you can slow down youtube, DOH! Because of this video.

I've never taken mine apart, but have thought about it because it's not that smooth really. Neither is the Dice I have. The same system on 2 Southards is like glass.

Last edited: