12 Ga Shotgun Weapon Light advice

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to try to simplify the last page or so.

Malkoff makes lots of drop ins. Flood, throw, and in between. They are all suitable for use in weapon applications. All of them will fit in any Malkoff host, Elzetta host, or Surefire host.

Vinh and Nailbender also make solid dropins. They are also available in a variety of configurations. They will not fit in Malkoff hosts or Elzetta hosts but will fit in surefire hosts.

If you don't feel the need to go outside the Malkoff family, you are safe with a Malkoff or Elzetta host.

If you are considering a Malkoff drop in but may also consider others in the future, get a surefire host.

Tada!

Nailed it, thanx!

I got a while to make up my mind on this one. I'm thinkin' I'll go Elzetta though.

I'll know a little better when I get one next week.

This thread has been very informative, I had not been on CPF for a while.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AVA weaponlight mount arrived today, and I've installed it. The directions state that the Surefire 6-Series and the E-Series have both been tested, the 6-Series bezels have flats and points, those points will need to be aligned between the barrel and magazine tube for proper clearance.

The first time I had all the screws tight (with the clamp securing the tailcap to the body), the head would not rotate at all for battery replacement. I loosened all the screws and tried again. This time the head is able to be removed with minor rubbing of the head's hex portion against the barrel. Later this evening, I'll loosen them again and try to rotate the unit down away from the barrel to increase clearance. While it does work now (thanks to play in the threads), I don't consider it to be an ideal situation.

It's getting pretty dark now, so maybe I'll go do that now, and start my evaluation. Without even turning on the light, I know the barrel shadow is going to be pretty severe, and a lot worse than my previous solution, but there's no real way around that.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
The AVA weaponlight mount arrived today, and I've installed it. The directions state that the Surefire 6-Series and the E-Series have both been tested, the 6-Series bezels have flats and points, those points will need to be aligned between the barrel and magazine tube for proper clearance.

The first time I had all the screws tight (with the clamp securing the tailcap to the body), the head would not rotate at all for battery replacement. I loosened all the screws and tried again. This time the head is able to be removed with minor rubbing of the head's hex portion against the barrel. Later this evening, I'll loosen them again and try to rotate the unit down away from the barrel to increase clearance. While it does work now (thanks to play in the threads), I don't consider it to be an ideal situation.

It's getting pretty dark now, so maybe I'll go do that now, and start my evaluation. Without even turning on the light, I know the barrel shadow is going to be pretty severe, and a lot worse than my previous solution, but there's no real way around that.

Thanx for that info! Very interesting. You bring up some interesting observances.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to apply more downward force on the mount when tightening the top and bottom screws, and the bezel ring can now be rotated without it touching the barrel (if it's slightly pulled outward while being turned).

I still need to evaluate 5 different 3" slug loads, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to see how it tolerates recoil.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
I was able to apply more downward force on the mount when tightening the top and bottom screws, and the bezel ring can now be rotated without it touching the barrel (if it's slightly pulled outward while being turned).

I still need to evaluate 5 different 3" slug loads, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to see how it tolerates recoil.

Do you have a set of calipers? If you do, I'd Love to hear the diameter of the Light head.

jdboy

Enlightened
I've been running a JetBeam Military on my 590 for several years. I also run the JetBeam tape switch but without it the tailcap is the same size as the body.

25aqdsw.jpg

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a set of calipers? If you do, I'd Love to hear the diameter of the Light head.

Across the wide flats, the diameter is 1.252".
Across the narrow flats, the diameter is 1.369".
While rotating the head within the calipers, the max diameter is 1.370".
The forward round diameter is 1.246".

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Across the wide flats, the diameter is 1.252".
Across the narrow flats, the diameter is 1.369".
While rotating the head within the calipers, the max diameter is 1.370".
The forward round diameter is 1.246".

You're an animal! Thanx!

I guess they are serious about the 1.25" being a max measurement allowable.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another note (or 2).....

If you plan to unscrew the body from the tailcap to change/test cells, you won't be able to. 20 inch pound of force compresses the tailcap enough to lock the threads together.

Also, I thought about using it as a picatinny rail for a separate offset light mount, to raise the light and move the barrel shadow down. I tried it last night, and wasn't able to attach my QD offset Elzetta ZROC or LaRue mounts. The section that surrounds the mag tube interferes with the light mount from clamping onto the rail. I was able to attach an inline LaRue mount, with the QR lever at the top, but that's not much better than using the integrated ring, and made activation less ergonomic. A non quick detach mount will likely work, but I don't own one.

Low profile is good, as long as it doesn't interfere with function....like this.

Last edited:

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Another note (or 2).....

If you plan to unscrew the body from the tailcap to change/test cells, you won't be able to. 20 inch pound of force compresses the tailcap enough to lock the threads together.

Also, I thought about using it as a picatinny rail for a separate offset light mount, to raise the light and move the barrel shadow down. I tried it last night, and wasn't able to attach my QD offset Elzetta ZROC or LaRue mounts. The section that surrounds the mag tube interferes with the light mount from clamping onto the rail. I was able to attach an inline LaRue mount, with the QR lever at the top, but that's not much better than using the integrated ring, and made activation less ergonomic. A non quick detach mount will likely work, but I don't own one.

Low profile is good, as long as it doesn't interfere with function....like this.

Hmmmm, interesting. I was reading about the thread deformation and cap locking up so I kinda thought that would plague the Elzetta. Wonder if the Surefire tailcap is stronger? The Elzetta seemed a bit thin. I can live with this because it will be a dedicated weapon light that will have 10 year shelf life on the Batts.

The beam shadow I'll just have to live with I reckon as well. I had seen some beamshots that showed the shadow on the Benelli forums and thought, "that sux".

Thanx again for the awesome info!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just removed the 6P and replaced it with a bored ZFL-M60. The standard heads are too large in diameter to work. A low profile head leaves plenty of clearance between it and the barrel.

The body easily unscrews from the tailcap, at least the way it was installed this time. It's not completely straight in the mount, so it may be different after I reinstall it, but I doubt it. In addition to being smooth, the Elzetta tailcap is also smaller in diameter than the Surefire.

The low profile head's round profile and lack of knurling makes it difficult to get a good grip to unscrew it from the body. This isn't a big deal since the body can be removed from the tailcap. Care must be taken when threading the body back onto the tailcap, to avoid cross threading the short, and rather loose fitted (to allow for easier turning for high/low activation) threads. I've got a protected 18650 in the body now. After I get the body inserted better, I'll try it out with a couple primaries and will report back here.

Time to go mow the lawn. At least it's not unbearably hot this evening.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
I just removed the 6P and replaced it with a bored ZFL-M60. The standard heads are too large in diameter to work. A low profile head leaves plenty of clearance between it and the barrel.

The body easily unscrews from the tailcap, at least the way it was installed this time. It's not completely straight in the mount, so it may be different after I reinstall it, but I doubt it. In addition to being smooth, the Elzetta tailcap is also smaller in diameter than the Surefire.

The low profile head's round profile and lack of knurling makes it difficult to get a good grip to unscrew it from the body. This isn't a big deal since the body can be removed from the tailcap. Care must be taken when threading the body back onto the tailcap, to avoid cross threading the short, and rather loose fitted (to allow for easier turning for high/low activation) threads. I've got a protected 18650 in the body now. After I get the body inserted better, I'll try it out with a couple primaries and will report back here.

Time to go mow the lawn. At least it's not unbearably hot this evening.

Thanx! You're right, I just measured my standard head and the crenelated head and they are about 1.4". Looks like a couple of low profile heads are in my future. I did not know there was much difference there. What is the diameter of the low profile head?

I'll keep the crenelated Klingon head on my Bump in the Night Light

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've reinserted the Elzetta into the mount, and the body is still easily removed from the captive tailcap. Two Surefire CR123s are slightly longer than a protected 18650, but I was still able to screw the body without too much effort. Actually, if the head were installed with the body mounted, it's unlikely you'd be able to tighten it enough to make it hard to remove, with it installed.

I would be surprised if the Elzetta shifts during recoil. It wouldn't take much thickness, maybe a couple layers of phone screen protector, to ensure it stays in place.

I must say that the matte HA and smooth lines of the Elzettas match the M4 better than the glossy Type II, blockiness, and odd head hex section of the 6P. I may need to dedicate an Oveready Smoothie bezel for it.

beaconterraone

Newly Enlightened
I don't pretend to be an "operator," so my weapon light need is minimal. I have TacStar WLS 2000s with later-upgrade Lighthound LED drop-ins.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would update this thread.

I just got my 2 Elzetta Bravos and 1 Charlie back from being bored.

For my 2 Shotgun lights I'll be using the Bravos with Malkoff 61N's in them.

I'm using the AVATactical mount I mentioned earlier on the Benelli. It is awesome with the Elzetta light.

Thanx for everybody's input!

I know it's been a while since I started this thread, but it's been 8 months or so waiting for the bodies to be bored...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Les, does your Elzetta say in place in the AVA Tactical mount? I picked up a cheap Bravo a while ago, and put it in place of the 6P.

I finally took the M4 to the range today, and with 2 3/4" slugs, the light had shifted forward considerably after 7 rounds. This week, I'll look for some sheet plastic to eliminate the issue.

Javora

Enlightened
Just throwing out another option, I bought a Lumintop TD15S a while ago and really liked it. It comes with the mount and corded tail cap.