12000 lump lamp???

jawnn

Enlightened
I realy don't know where to put this question, so here it is::naughty:

I want to replace an ac 75-watt quartz halogen spot bulb that claims 11000 lumens…is there a reflector that will produce a one-foot wide beam at two-foot distance? And what kind of led to put inside??

Or is there an existing bulb that will do the job??? Maybe I'm just too far ahead of the tech???

R33E8

Newly Enlightened
Heh.. 1100 or 11000?? if it's 11000 you might want to keep it because it would be hard to find an LED that efficient (147lm/w) to be that bright..

For 1100 lm you could probably used 2 or 3 Cree MC-E's or P7's.. I have no idea what to do about the reflector part...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I see an array of 40-50 single-die power LEDs, each with its own optic (see also: Data Bank 70), all set into an Archimedes-type reflector with moving/tilting surfaces around the outside so you can adjust the concavity/beam focus distance. Good luck with that :p

lolzertank

Enlightened
Wha? 1100, 11000 or 12000? Anyways, let's first figure out the beam angle. 1 foot spot at 2 feet = 1/2 radians = ~30 degrees.

1100: 2 Cree MC-E/SSC P7 and 2x Ledil Boom medium reflector.

11000/12000: ~100 underdriven Cree XP-G (to keep it within 75 watts) behind the same number of Carclo frosted narrow 10mm optics. This won't be cheap.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
We can assume he's referring to a 75 Watt Halogen Par30/38 flood. These are about 1000 lumens.

Not that familiar with MC-Es, but inexpensive Acrylic / Carlco optics should be no problem.

How do you guys conclude he needs 2 rather than 3 MC-Es?

He'll also need to resolve heatsink issues and get a pretty heft driver.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
550lm is probably a reasonable out the front value for a high bin MC-E at full noise

Does Cree have documentation showing this?

Can you get this out-put at neutral white? If he's switching from Halogen (no idea what he's doing yet) he might not care for cool-white.

lolzertank

Enlightened
Cree has documentation showing the effects of temperature on output. The efficiency of the optics are in the optic's datasheet since the optics aren't designed by Cree.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree has documentation showing the effects of temperature on output.

True...but their standard specs give lumen values quite a bit below what a few of you have stated.

Generally when I look at LED specs for projects I assume typical heatsinking and standard bin LED that's readily obtainable.

This considered, can I assume 550 lumens from a neutral-white MC-E on a standard heatsink driven at factory spec current?

znomit

Enlightened
True...but their standard specs give lumen values quite a bit below what a few of you have stated.
How do you figure?

Neutral is a bit down on cool but getting awfully close to 550.

Neutral white K bin is 370lm @ 350mA.
700mA is a tad over 1.7x that output.
15% optics losses.

Drop a bit for heat, add a bit for not being at the bottom of the bin.

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampMC-E.pdf