18650 Battery and Charger Recommendation

immahooo

Newly Enlightened
Best 18650 battery and charger???

Hi,

I'm soon going to buy a TN30 but I don't have any 18650 batteries yet. Also, the TN30 uses 3 batts at a time so I'm looking for a charger that charges to 3~4 18650 batts at a time.
Any suggestions?

STiFTW

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best 18650 battery and charger???

Orbtronic, Eagletac or AW for batteries, use the search and decide which you feel most comfortable with. There are 100's of pages of reviews.

Chargers: again search is your friend, there are some very in-depth reviews. My quick choices to research:
Xtar WP6 II
SC-S1-MAX (v3 only).

IME from all the reading that I have done, Orbtronic 3400mAh protected cells and the SC-S1-MAX is what I have chosen. When they update the Xtar WP6 II charger to have voltage readings on it I will get one of those too, I have 20+ cells to keep charged.

Sc00ter079

Newly Enlightened
New to 18650's need advise

I am new to the addiction and my first good light (besides my pd20 I've had for years) is on it's way. Now I need two 18650's and a simple charger to go along. Does any one have and advice or where to get a deal on two batteries and a charger with out spending a fortune..... Links would be great

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Re: New to 18650's need advise

Seek and ye shall find. Google search for "18650 recommendation", filtered <1 year old posts.

Read up* about the safe handling/use/charging for Li-ion cells, remember they're well within the realms of 'the hobbyist' and will burn/injure/kill if mis-handled. That said, treat them with respect, follow 'the rules' and and you can enjoy the cost saving/extra runtime/extra power gained V's CR123's.

You'll need a volt-meter too.

*Point 5 on that first thread is a little dated, for starters, have a look at CPF member HKJ's reviews on chargers here. (Also more 18650 tests than you can shake a stick at).

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am new to the addiction and my first good light (besides my pd20 I've had for years) is on it's way. Now I need two 18650's and a simple charger to go along. Does any one have and advice or where to get a deal on two batteries and a charger with out spending a fortune..... Links would be great

I've been using an Xtar WP2 II for a year and a half and two EagleTac 3100s and two Panasonic naked NCR18650As during that period, to good effect in my ZL SC-600 and Fenix PD32 lights.

You can find the Xtar WP2 II on Ebay for ~$22 shipped and you can find protected Panasonic 3400s for $20 shipped, also off of Ebay, from r-lsales.

Whether they fit a particular light of yours, I can't comment on that.

Chris

Sc00ter079

Newly Enlightened
New to 18650's need advise

Thanks for the advice and good reads.... I found a deal on a xtar wp2ii and two xtar batteries for 35 shipped .... Think I'm gonna snag that

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice and good reads.... I found a deal on a xtar wp2ii and two xtar batteries for 35 shipped .... Think I'm gonna snag that

I don't know if Xtar uses the better Chinese cells, or whether they're using the Pannies or the Sanyos, but that's not too bad a price.

The Xtar WP2 II errs on the side of not fully charging cells up to 100% everytime, but it can. IME, it just depends on the particular cells and by not doing so, you gain a little longevity out of any particular cell, by not being charged up fully.

Xtars come with 12v car adapters, so that's a nice bonus.

Chris

Ace12

Enlightened
Best 18650 and charger?

I am considering getting a 18650 headlight for work. I was wondering what brand batteries are considered to be the best for run time and output and also what charger you guys recommend? I would like to be able to charge thme in my work truck if possible, as long as there is no cons to using a vehicle charger vs a wall charger. Thanks.

Scarfinger

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best 18650 and charger?

I am considering getting a 18650 headlight for work. I was wondering what brand batteries are considered to be the best for run time and output and also what charger you guys recommend? I would like to be able to charge thme in my work truck if possible, as long as there is no cons to using a vehicle charger vs a wall charger. Thanks.

I am interested in the subject also. I did some searches and it seems all I can find is info from several years back. The search continues...

Scarfinger

Newly Enlightened

This charger came up in a thread Xtar WP6, charges 6 batteries. I would probably be more interested in the WP2 II Charger. Looks like they have a few charging options:

XTAR WP2 II 14500/ 14650/ 17670/18350/ 18500/ 18650/ 18700/ 10440/16340 3.7V Li-ion battery charger

This set includes:

- WP2 II Charger
- US / EU / JP AC adaptor
- Car Adaptor
- 2 x Spacers
- Packaging

Charging qualifications and structures
Operation Temperature: 0~40℃
Input AC: 12V DC: 1000mA
500mA CC Current: 500m A±5%
1000 mA CC Current: 1000m A±5%
Cut-Off Voltage: 4.2±0.05V
CV Cut-off Current: <100mA
Standby Current: <20.0m A
TC Current (Battery Volt 2.0~3.0V): 80±20m A
Auto Recharging Threshold Value Voltage: 3.9±0.15V

Something to look into and see what kind of reviews it has...

Good luck

Scarfinger

Newly Enlightened

Unfortunately , you generally get what you pay for ... I'm not saying that all cheap chargers are bad , but with Li-Ions you need a charger that will terminate at the correct voltage every time ... This is far more important if your torch contains more than one Li-Ion battery ... If your torch uses three cells , they all need to be charged to exactly the same voltage ... The cells also need to be exactly the same Ah capacity ... Protected cells are essential in this scenario ... Because of this , most users only buy torches that contain only one Li-Ion cell ... Read up on the problems with using (in particular) multiple Li-Ion cells and buy a reasonable measuring instrument to check the individual voltages of your Li-Ions.

I always charge my 18650's at one amp which is perfect for 3100mAh Panasonics ... You might need a spare set of batteries too , if you are charging your cells in a single or double bay charger ... You certainly need to do a lot of reading (as we all did) before you get into the world of Li-Ions.

I would certainly recommend that you consider buying a cheap Solarforce L2 (single 18650) torch as well.

Most of the better protected 18650's seem to be a bit longer ... Some are 18700's ... Make sure that your torch will take the extra length of these cells and also make sure that the charger will accept the longer cells ... If the cells are too tight , you risk damaging the ends of your 18650's and that could be dangerous.

Good luck.

If I knew how to provide a link back to this tread I would. I just searched, 18650 charger, and found some good info.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened

1pce.png

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am pretty new to the 18650 field, having decades using dozens daily of nicd, then nimh variety.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-are-c2-advanced-multi-charger/ looks interesting, and reasonable price point for a mere 4 cells.

1. I don't have the shut off issue with my protected 18650's on the Intellicharger I4. Is this because they are protected cells? (The i4 Tops off at 4.19 volts, cells don't ever get hot.)

2. My current oem fenix 2 cell charger cuts off at, like 4 volts, and I can see a huge drop in runtime. Runtime is whole reason to use 18650s for me. (The oem fenix will charge one cell that drops to 2.5 volts, where the I4 will not charge it. ) I wonder if the are-c2 will top off to 4.12; and would it not be more logical to choose between a conservative and liberal top off charge?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have the shut off issue with my protected 18650's on the Intellicharger I4. Is this because they are protected cells? ...would it not be more logical to choose between a conservative and liberal top off charge?

What shut-off issue? I don't think HKJ or Selfbuilt had any issues with early or late termination with lithium ion cells, nor have I, nor have I heard any complaints about that on CPF. It shouldn't make any difference whether they are protected or not - all it has to do is shut off at a given voltage, unlike NiMH where termination is more complicated. The weakness of the i4 is mostly with NiMH...

I think the full 4.2 volt charge is the best solution - if you want maximum runtime, this is the way to go. If you are willing to trade runtime for cell longevity, you can always take it off the charger a little early. This seems like a better solution than buying a charger that is (by design) incapable of fully charging a battery.

bassopotamus

Newly Enlightened
18650 for Nitecore SRT7

I just ordered an SRT 7 Bundle on Amazon that comes with a nitecore charger and one Nitecore 2600 mah battery.

I'd like to get a pair of extra batteries, but am a total noob. What I have gleaned from reading this forum is that:

1. Not all batteries fit all lights.
2. The cells inside most 18650s are from a handful of manufacturers.
3. It probably isn't necessary to have a protected battery in a single cell light.
4. Feel free to correct me on any of these points.

So anyway, I'm thinking I'd like a pair of 3100 or 3400 mah cells that will fit in here, want something that wont' burn down deer camp, and will do it at a reasonable price (I'll pay for quality but don't want to get ripped off). So please, recommend me some batteries, that will for sure fit in this light.

Thanks in advance.

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
18650 for Romisen

I just got a Romisen RC-T602. I am currently running 2 CR123A's in it but would like to get a couple 18650's and a charger. Looking on Amazon there are all kinds. Are any of the 2 batteries and charger for around $15 any good?
Any recommendations?
Thanks for any help

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 18650 for Romisen

I can't post links (Edit: yes I can, here you go), but fasttech has genuine panasonics, either with or without protective circuit added, in their 2900, 3100, or 3400 mAh variations for very good prices with free shipping, and CPF members get a further 5% discount by using the coupon code which is the three letter acronym for CandlePowerForums.
Additionally, they have some good 18650 chargers, such as the Nitecore i2 smart charger, or the XTAR WP2S.
If I were in the market for a li-ion charger today, I'd buy one of the two named above. Probably the XTAR, it looks pretty good, follows good CC/CV charge method, and has extra protection by means of the fireproof ABS shell cover. Plus it has the bonus feature of being able to use li-ion cells as a USB power supply for smartphones/tablets etc, anything that charges via USB.
But the Nitecore looks good too, and has the bonus of being cheaper, and also being able to charge NiMH cells, in a pinch.
Again, you can get 5% off fasttech for these too. I don't have any affiliation with them, for the record, I just happen to have found that they have pretty good prices on some of this stuff. If you can get better deals elsewhere, go hard. Just with cells, you want to make sure they're genuine name brand cells underneath: Sony / Sanyo / Panasonic, and if they are protected, that the protection circuitry is tried and true, perhaps models that have been tested by forum member HKJ and stood up well to high current tests.

PS, in answer to your question "re any of the 2 batteries and charger for around $15 any good?", I'd have to say no. You'll get what you pay for, generally, and it's not a good idea to skimp on li-ion cells or chargers. Buy at least reasonably reputable brands and quality, is my suggestion.

Last edited:

bassopotamus

Newly Enlightened

I can't post links (Edit: yes I can, here you go), but fasttech has genuine panasonics, either with or without protective circuit added, in their 2900, 3100, or 3400 mAh variations for very good prices with free shipping, and CPF members get a further 5% discount by using the coupon code which is the three letter acronym for CandlePowerForums.
Additionally, they have some good 18650 chargers, such as the Nitecore i2 smart charger, or the XTAR WP2S.
If I were in the market for a li-ion charger today, I'd buy one of the two named above. Probably the XTAR, it looks pretty good, follows good CC/CV charge method, and has extra protection by means of the fireproof ABS shell cover. Plus it has the bonus feature of being able to use li-ion cells as a USB power supply for smartphones/tablets etc, anything that charges via USB.
But the Nitecore looks good too, and has the bonus of being cheaper, and also being able to charge NiMH cells, in a pinch.
Again, you can get 5% off fasttech for these too. I don't have any affiliation with them, for the record, I just happen to have found that they have pretty good prices on some of this stuff. If you can get better deals elsewhere, go hard. Just with cells, you want to make sure they're genuine name brand cells underneath: Sony / Sanyo / Panasonic, and if they are protected, that the protection circuitry is tried and true, perhaps models that have been tested by forum member HKJ and stood up well to high current tests.

PS, in answer to your question "re any of the 2 batteries and charger for around $15 any good?", I'd have to say no. You'll get what you pay for, generally, and it's not a good idea to skimp on li-ion cells or chargers. Buy at least reasonably reputable brands and quality, is my suggestion.

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered 2 protected 3400s from Fasttech. They are actually a whisker smaller than the Nitecore ones, and I figured the Nitecore ones ought to fit their own flashlights :)

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered 2 protected 3400s from Fasttech. They are actually a whisker smaller than the Nitecore ones, and I figured the Nitecore ones ought to fit their own flashlights :)

I'd be interested to hear how they perform. I've got some unprotected authentic Panasonic 3100's from Fasttech, but I haven't ordered any of their protected ones.