18650 battery test with capacity curves for many cells

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I can probably change the background for the legend, but I do not believe that will help much, there are way to many curves in these comparisons charts.
I have been thinking about make a extra document where I split the batteries up in maybe 3 groups and make a set of charts for each group.

I have no right to ask you to do any more work than you have already contributed, but ran into a similar scenario doing discharge tests using the CBA-II software. I did screenshots of the final combined tests, then found a place to add a color matched text label in a larger font. Just an idea, meant in the most appreciative and diplomatic way possible--because I know how much work and time you spent on all those and want to see and use it.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have no right to ask you to do any more work than you have already contributed, but ran into a similar scenario doing discharge tests using the CBA-II software. I did screenshots of the final combined tests, then found a place to add a color matched text label in a larger font. Just an idea, meant in the most appreciative and diplomatic way possible--because I know how much work and time you spent on all those and want to see and use it.

I do not believe it would be possible to label the curves in my combined charts, there are to many. Next problem is that I have to regenerate the chart when adding a new battery, with the current format it is automatic. If I had to do some editing on each chart it would be a lot of work.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never trust those damnfire battery nor expected them to have a rated capacity
but the UF 3600mah is overly bluffed(or even exceeded the limit of capacity of 18650)
Whats the difference btwn 2 purple Panda$onic 18650?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Certainly as far as commercially available cells of standard chemistry are concerned, 3600mAh cannot currently be achieved with a li-ion cell. These and Ultrafire's 4000mAh are just a flight of fancy to attract people who don't know any better. Even UF's 3000mAh - a capacity that is achievable - are highly overrated. There may well be other brands of cell that can achieve a genuine 3000mAh capacity, but with the UF cells, you may only see a half of that capacity (depending to some degree on the discharge rate of course).

I believe the difference between the two *Samsung* cells is that one has been charged to 4.2v prior to discharge, the other charged to 4.35v. Some of the the newer, high capacity cells, are made to be charged to higher voltages (and some to be discharged to lower voltages), and need to be so in order to achieve their full rated capacity.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Whats the difference btwn 2 purple Panda$onic 18650?

I believe the difference between the two *Samsung* cells is that one has been charged to 4.2v prior to discharge, the other charged to 4.35v.

Stephen has the correct answer, the Samsung cell is designed for 4.35 volt, but I also tried it at 4.2 volt to see how much capacity is lost when using a normal LiIon charger.

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
Great review and oversight of this very nice type of batteries.
With my RRT-3 triple XM-L to arrive, some spare 18650'would be very nice :)

HKJ

Flashaholic
so whaddabout SANYO cells or XTAC 2600mAh?

The question is if I add more cells to this roundup, or start a new one. I have been building a new test station that has better precision and is more automated.

And what are the comparison results? Which are the Top3?

That depends on what parameters you look at:

For capacity or energy you just look at the bar graphs and pick the one with the longest bar, at the current you need.
If you want reliability and safety you stay away from the cheap cells.

If you have a light that drops out of regulation at a specific voltage, you might want to study the curves and find the battery with highest capacity/energy, before it goes below that voltage.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good job. Many thanks for your effort. HKJ! :thumbsup:
This is really nice information thread for 18650 cells.

KH

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
I see 3100 mAh Panasonic model NCR18650A LiNiCoO2 NNP cells advertised online for $9.97 (counterfeit?)

Wonder how they and the new AW 3100 mAh cells perform compared to those in your tests here?

=================================================================================================================

AW Protected 18650-31P (3100mah) ---- $19.50 each ***NEW CELL*** In Stock (specs and details pending) Order now. Should ship Monday 11/14
New Protected 18650-3100P
SPECIFICATIONS:
Nominal Voltage : 3.6V
Capacity : 3100mAH ( rated at 0.2C discharge 4.2V - 2.5V @ 25℃ )
Operating Temp. : Charge 0 to 45℃ / Discharge -20 to 60 ℃
Recommended Charge Rate : max. 885mA ( 0.3C ) - ambient temp. 25 ℃
Max. Discharge Rate : 6.2A ( ambient temp. 25 ℃ )
Dimensions :18.52 X 68.16mm ( +/- 0.3mm )

The 3100 also features a new ultra thin pcb connecting flexi strip that is heat resistant to 500F ( instead of a bare metal strip ).
The new flexi strip will protect the battery from a direct short in case the outer plastic wrapper of the battery is torn / damage

Data sheet for the Panasonic NCR18650A
http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-...A4000CE254.pdf
================================================== =====
Some websites show:

- Built with Panasonic LiNiCoO2 NNP cells.
- Powers up a WA1185/1111 with a single click.
- Three triangulated raised dots ensure solid cell to cell connection when used in series.
- PCB protection against overcharge/ over discharge / short circuit.
- Safety vent with thermal cut off protection.
- Heat Resistance Layer (HRL) technology that forms an insulating metal oxide layer between the positive and negative electrodes. The layer prevents the battery from overheating even if a short circuit occurs.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I think that I know the supplier that you are referring to for the $9.97 3100mAh Panasonics. I have three of the protected versions of these on order, along with three protected Sanyo UR16650ZTs. No promises as to how quickly I will get around to it, but I fully intend to supply some discharge testing results.

vleong1

Newly Enlightened
Is it the AW 2600 or Samsung 3000 4.35v that has the best energy/capacity upto 2A?

Last edited:

Latest posts