2-C MAG MODS (Where Have I Been?)

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to try True Value. The TCs near me carry 5 and 6 cell replacements whereas the HDs and Ls don't.

The KPR118 is almost as bright as the KPR112 when both are run on 3x123 but is yellower. I don't see the point. Now the KPR118 on 4x123 ius not bad, but why bother?

Wilkey

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found some 5 cell whitestar bulbs at Sears.

Is it worth putting these in a 3 x 123 config? Or are 6 AA batts just as good with two 3AA to D converters in a 2D config?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two configs are going to be pretty similar to the eye. Just make sure you're using modded 3-D holders or else the resistance will degrade your performance.

Wilkey

TOB9595

Enlightened
I prefer the 112. I couldn't see the difference in the MagStar.
Plus it's easy to find the 112 here @ RS. I have the ****en's finding the MStar.
and it's less than 1/2 the price of the magstar.
I get ~ 1 hour on the 3-123's. Haven't blown a 112 yet.
Going on 6 2c mags for family. One gets heavy dog watch use.
Put ~ 5 sets of batts thru that one so far.
Killer light.
If you're having a difficult time finding the 112 @ your RS drop me a line and I'll pick some up for you here in Flem.

Seems that not all RS carry the same. I was in PA last week and the RS I stopped in didn't have any 112 and the guy didn't have a clue what I was talking about.Tom

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
TOB9595 said:
I prefer the 112. I couldn't see the difference in the MagStar.
Plus it's easy to find the 112 here @ RS. I have the ****en's finding the MStar.
and it's less than 1/2 the price of the magstar.
I get ~ 1 hour on the 3-123's. Haven't blown a 112 yet.
Going on 6 2c mags for family. One gets heavy dog watch use.
Put ~ 5 sets of batts thru that one so far.
Killer light.
If you're having a difficult time finding the 112 @ your RS drop me a line and I'll pick some up for you here in Flem.

Seems that not all RS carry the same. I was in PA last week and the RS I stopped in didn't have any 112 and the guy didn't have a clue what I was talking about.Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the offer, however I ordered them from RS online earlier today. I went to 2-different RS stores and they didn't have them.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KPR gets my vote on light output, cost and availability. They always have them in one of the three RS near my house.

Wilkey

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xcal stopped by today, and showed me his 2C Mag running 4 123s with a Carly#808. Lordy, I have a fresh bulb, fully charged Ultrastinger, and it burned a hole in the Ultrastinger beam. Crappy Mag reflector for sure, but WHAT a hot spot !!! LUMENS !!!!!!!!! I hope Quickbeam can try one in his new "box" poor mans lumen meter. Wow!!

Home Depot has some silver 2C Mags, will try the 3 123s and either a 5 cell Mag bulb, or the RatShak KPR112.

Sounds like fun !

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think the CA808 on 4x123 is bright, you haven't seen the WA01318 on 5x123 or the WA01185 on 9xAA nimhs. These are, to my knowledge, the brightest PR-type bulbs you can plug into a hand torch. I had the CA809 on 4.5 liths and it was still blown away by the Welch Allyn bulbs.

Wilkey

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng: I've been meaning to try something like that, but I'm pretty sure that a reflector upgrade is in order first. This stock Mag reflector would probably turn into a puddle of goo in short order with anything much stronger than what I have in it now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. For simply flashing about, the stock reflector will take up to 2 or 3 minutes with no problems. Beyond that, while the reflector may not be melting, the plastic may stress relieve and deform imperceptibly to the eye yet resulting in poorer focusing. The Carley aluminum reflectors are just great. Now I worry about the lamp pedestal melting and deforming.

Wilkey

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, JohnK and I had a really great time today comparing flashlights. He has a very nice collection and we had a lot of fun comparing beams and talking flashlights. It was really nice to finally meet him in person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I never would have thought that CPF would have grown to the point that I would ever meet another flashaholic that lived within driving distance to me.

Well, I wasn't able to bring too much to the table at our meeting today, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the souped up 2C Mag. Now we just need to get some of those aluminum replacement reflectors and then we can try some of these new high wattage, laser beam, super souped up C Mag mods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know, I'm still really surprised that the Carley #808 trounced the Ultrastinger like it did. I've heard so many people brag about the Ultrastinger being one of the brightest flashlights out there and it really came as a great surprise to me that a souped up Mag mod would beat it by such a wide margin. I just wonder how well it would hold up when compared to one of those new Tigerlights?

Too bad the runtime is so short on the 123 C Mag mods. I guess that's where the Ultrastinger would really shine, being rechargeable and all.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right,

I'm surprised about the performance versus the US as well. Have you considered running your 4x123 light on two Pila 168 batts? I know the idea of driving a $8 bulb in a $17 torch with $60 worth of batteries is sorta crazy, but hey, this is CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried any of the Pila batteries yet, but with a price tag of $60.00, I think I know why. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Still, the thought is intriguing, maybe my next good job that I get I will spring for some and give it a try. Maybe someone here that already has a set of Pilas can give it a try and let us know how they perform. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey or anybody -

I try to keep up with all this "Hot Wire" super bright Mag Mods but I'm still getting lost.

"If you think the CA808 on 4x123 is bright, you haven't seen the WA01318 on 5x123 or the WA01185 on 9xAA nimhs."

Are all three of these bulbs drop in PRs? If not, which have to be ordered potted? What do 5X123 fit in.

Is it possible for say, this is nascar to pick up a CA808, wrap the batts in a hose, mod the cap and run it all in a nice 2C rendering an excellent, white beam like XCal's? nascar, I'm picking on you because I think that may me something you would like and I would too, for that matter...no tools required?

Is it possible for say, Icebreak to pick up a WA01185, drop it in a 3C running modded 3toDs, install an Otokoyama perfect camed reflector and a flashlightlen.com UCL and have something pretty crazy with decent run-time?

I've been looking for these bulbs in BST but haven't found them. Do I wait for a group buy or bite the bullet on the $60.00 minimum?

Thanks.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Pick on me all you want. No problem here. I'm patiently awaiting the answer.......

I have gone any further than the 3 x 123 with KPR-112. As soon as my 5-cell WhiteStars arrive I'll try them and see if I can notice a difference. I did order some of those Acelite (spelling?) lenses, but that's the extent of it.