2-C MAG MODS (Where Have I Been?)

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the 5 cell Mag-num Star Krypton bulb last night and was not impressed, I think the Rat Shack KPR-112 is just as good if not better at 1/3 the price.

Later
Kelly

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icey,

The Welch Allyn bulbs I'm referring to are all T2.25-sized bare pin bulbs. They are slightly smaller than the Carley T2.5 bare pin bulbs like the 808 and 809. Being bare pins, they need to be either 1) stuck in a Carley #912 pin-PR base adapter (which is ok for up to 1.2A continuous and 2A intermittent use) or 2) potted in a ceramic-filled PR base by Carley. The ceramic potting is easily good for the 3.15A+ bulbs like the 01185. So, the sequence of events is 1) order bulbs from WA and 2) send them out to Carley for potting.

The 808 will run on 4x123 as will the 809. But since the 809 has a slightly higher operating voltage, it can run on 4.5 (4SF123+1AA lith). The WA 01318 and 01185 are 9.6V bulbs which run ok on 4x, nicely on 4.5x and dangerously on 5x. They will also do well on 9xAA nimh and 10xAA nimh.

The 2C will hold 3x123 while some people have jammed 4x in them. I found I could not do that reliably. I stepped up to a 3C (which to my sense of aesthetics has better proportions) which will hold 4x easily and 5x if you 1) grind off the anodizing on the inside of the tailcap and 2) install a short spring between the last batt and the inside of the tailcap to make battery negative contact.

You can use 3-D holders. I use 3x3-D in a purple 3D with 9 Powerex 2000mAh nimhs driving wither the 01318 (very bright) or the 01185 (crazy bright). Based on the capacity of my batts, I would expect maybe 35-40 minutes of good light with the 01318 and 20 minutes with the 3.15A 01185. I have a Carley aluminum reflector and UCL and I don't worry about meltage...well, maybe the lamp pedestal now.

As for procuring the bulbs and potting, I conducted 2 group buys for almost $700 worth of stuff in the previous months. While the WA bulbs are relatively cheap (about $2.20 per) and potting by Carley is fairly cheap ($1.73 per), WA has a $100 min and Carley has a $50 min. Still, if you can get enough interested people together, the prospect of getting some honest to goodness 500 lumen bulbs for under $4 is very attractive. You'd be surprised at how few people it takes to quickly get over the mins.

If it sounds like I've spent alot of time thinking about this stuff, it's because I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Guys like Lemlux, Illuminated and Soloco have been most generous with sharing their experience and it's been very helpful.

Wilkey
"Hot Wire Guy"

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
To each his own.

I find the M*g 5 cell bulb just fine (if I don't hit the switch on a few other lights!).

CAUTION! I smoked a WA01318 on 5x123 that weren't even fresh! I am running 4x123+1AALith, driving a 1318 in a Carley 1940 Aluminum reflector, and shing through Acrylite in a 3C M*g. It's close to the blueish tint of LEDs and it is

>>>>>>>>>>BRIGHT!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<

ONLY thing I have close (and actually brighter!) is a 4D M*g with 7x123 driving a 20W Sylvania Tru-Aim (58576 20MR16/NSP.RP (ESX) 8 degree spot MR16 ....

YOWSER!!!

Azreal911

Enlightened
playboy how long will that 5cell magbulb run on the 3x123's you've used? will the batteries last at least 1 1/2 hrs?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did go to Carley site. I didn't see the key words 808 or 809 nor could I find the adapters.

Would someone help me with navigation?

Wilkey -

Nice synopsis. Thanks.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I received my WhiteStars today from Brightguy. Shined on the wall, they appear to produce a rounder hotspot than the KPR-112 bulbs, however the proof will be outside once the sun goes down.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, this is FUN !

Just returned from Home Depot with my new silver 2C Mag, and a length of 3/4" hot water pipe. Installed a five cell Mag Star, the cut off piece of pipe and:

It works ! Blows away my 9P SF, and Ultrastinger. I didn't think it would be that bright after seeing Xcal's 4 123 light, but it is.

My wife gets this one.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A note on these high output bulbs.

Most of you know this, but you want to install a CLEAN bulb. A bit of sweat or body oils on them and you'll be buying a new bulb. Isopropyl alcohol works well.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nascar, I'm using 3 123s. I didn't like the four cell arrangement because you have to use steel wool/aluminum foil, or something as a conductor in the tail cap (after scratching off the anodizing). Xcal indicated that was not the most reliable set up, however bright.

I just put in a call to Rat Shack by the way; they can order (not in stock) the KPR 112's for $ 0.49 apiece (shipping will probably kill you).

I paid several bucks apiece several years ago for my 5 cell Magnum Stars. A bit hard to find.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks. There reason I was asking was in reference to your "blows away the UltraStinger" comment. While I consider this MOD to be fantastic and leaps-and-bounds above the stock MAG, it's still short of my UltraStinger. My US still out-throws this light and has a larger hotspot also.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, my US does have a larger hot spot, but this little 2C has a brighter , smaller, hot spot with more throw. My reflector, I guess.

By the way, Xcal had to put in two metal spacers on the tailcap to allow enough room for the 4 123's. It is really a tight fit.

I am using the 5 Cell Magnum Star bulb, not the KPR 112 (whatever difference that makes).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The Magnum Star bulb as I know it, is a Krypton bulb with a rather long capsule and a magnifying lense on the end. I have never found a good use for Magnum Stars... always get that 'grinwurst' effect.

I use a Whitestar Krypton 5 cell with 3x123. Coupled with an Acrylite lense, a VERY nice light for the size!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got through with the 2C mod, looked glumly at an old 3D Brinkman, and a 4 D Mag. Dim, dim, dimmmm....

Popped a 2 cell bulb in the 3D, whoa !! At least double brightness, possibly more. The 4 D Mag got the 3D bulb, much brighter, not as overdriven as the 2 cell bulb in the 3D.

This is new to me.

These bulbs are probably not as overdriven as the 2C to 3 123 with 5 cell bulb. Will the bulbs have a reasonable life ?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2-cell bulb in my 3D lasts minutes. Sometimes 5 sometimes 15. This is the most intense overdrive at 50%. The 5-cell in 3x123 is only about 20% overdrive, a fact which translates to pretty good longevity as far as my experience.

Wilkey

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dark outside now. My 3 123 2C Mag with 5 cell Magnum Star bulb does NOT measure up to the Ultrastinger in Lumens, but the hot spot IS brighter. How in the heck can the cruddy Mag reflector make such a small beam ? It's 1/3 or so the US tightest beam.

Interesting........

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much of the credit for the small spot goes to the supersmall filament of the KPR112. I don't know about the 5-cell bulb.

Wilkey