"2009" CandlePower Knife ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 what

Enlightened
I'm optional on clip up/down but feel strongly that the clip needs to look good...not like a piece of bent metal on a cheap ballpoint. Having said that it can also be low profile to attract minimun attention.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way things currently stand this is out of my price range. I'm interested yes, but will need more time and information before I can commit.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I said in my e-mail, I am most likely in. NO MORE than 4"...3.25 or so is perfect for me, 3.5 is also pretty great. LOW profile tip up carry...

Sounds good so far.

+ 1,000,000 for a matched set!

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
For blade length, i'd like to keep it as close to 3" as possible. 3.5" is really big for me. I think 5" is crazy for a folder.

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
I am leaning to 3" to meet all of the restrictions I know of with screw holes drilled and tapped for the clip to be mounted either way.

S30V would probably work for most people as well, just have to check with my heat treater first. I kind of threw him a curve by sending in some Sandvik 19C27 a couple of weeks ago without full heat treat specs. Won't do that again, need him too much.

George

GLOCK18

Enlightened
As stated in post #10, I would prefer 5" blade, but then I'm a bit crazy, I would'nt be apposed to 3 to 3.5 blade, would prefer 440c but S30 is fine, one thing I will not give up is the Titanium handle or the integral lock, doesn't need to be pretty, bead blasted is cool no need for a polished blade. $500 to $600 for a super heavy duty folder with the workmenship George put out is fine with me. I would love to have something Similar to the Shane Sibert Monster Rocket.but with out the 2k price tag, George we can always do a 1 off, drop me a PM.

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sort of a sucker for striders. Is it possible to get a Tanto point? How tough will this knife be? I probably wont be abusing it like knifetests.com but i would like to know that it can take a beating and ask for more.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess no on the tanto, but if thats what 40+ people want i'm sure it could be. They just aren't very popular anymore, and are not really too practical for my uses.

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Gentlemen, we have a suggestion that we'd like to float :)

Our proposal is that we offer TWO knives this year. A choice of a "folder" and ALSO a fixed blade with the same blade style adapted for a fixed blade. It would run in less than the folder as far as cost but besides that, not everyone is into folders.

This way we would be able to offer a folder for those looking for a folder and a fixed blade with the same/very similar blade style for those looking for a fixed blade.
|
We would still run the number system, there could be two lists, one for folders, one for fixed.

Look forward to hearing from anyone interested in our idea.

Cheers, Carol ;)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carol & George,
That may be a good idea. Takes care of a bit of the price hurdle as well as gives an option for those who like one of the other.

ambientmind

Enlightened
how about a fixed tanto blade with carbon fiber handles?! hmm? i would love that! hopefully 40 other people will too:popcorn:....great work on the last one george!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd like to see the sketches for both the fixed-blade and folder before saying yes or no to buying the 2009 CPF knives. Also, a firm decision needs to be reached if the blade will be made out of 440C or S30V.

Speaking only for myself, I would not be interested in an S30V blade. Many collectors love exotic steels. I'm not one of them. A properly heat-treated 440C blade can easily keep up with any of the exotics out there, and at a lower price-point.

As for the blade length, since getting 40 definite orders will not be easy, I feel it would be a good idea to keep the length at just under 3-inches. (2 7/8, for example). This will ensure that those who live in the more restrictive places can legally carry this knife with them. While laws vary, those places that do not outright ban the carrying of folding knives with locks; often will not go more restrictive than "under 3 inches," in terms of blade length. Here in NYC the law is "under 4 inches." In places like Chicago, "3 inches or under."

Carry-clip on the folder would be appreciated. To solve the age-old problem of position, the holes for the screws should be placed on both ends. Each customer can decide for himself if he wants tip-up or tip-down carry.

Also, I know I'm in the minority on this one but.... Any chance George could use Phillips head screws for the clip, instead of those God-awful tiny Allen head screws that are so wildly popular. Those tiny screws are so horribly easy to strip, even with a quality Allen wrench.

Perhaps a good friction-fit leather belt pouch could be offered as an option, for those who would prefer to take the clip off entirely.

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
how about a fixed tanto blade with carbon fiber handles?! hmm? i would love that! hopefully 40 other people will too:popcorn:....great work on the last one george!

Greetings :wave: This is something that if you are really interested in you may want to talk to us about ordering one on your own. Carbon fibre is too much of a health risk so would you consider G10 ?

e-mail- [email protected]
or PM us.

Cheers, Carol :)

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
I'd like to see the sketches for both the fixed-blade and folder

A properly heat-treated 440C blade can easily keep up with any of the exotics out there, and at a lower price-point.

keep the length at just under 3-inches. (2 7/8, for example).

the holes for the screws should be placed on both ends.

Any chance George could use Phillips head screws for the clip, instead of those God-awful tiny Allen head screws that are so wildly popular. Those tiny screws are so horribly easy to strip, even with a quality Allen wrench.

Perhaps a good friction-fit leather belt pouch could be offered as an option, for those who would prefer to take the clip off entirely.

Hi Monocrom :)

George will be doing up drawings some time this week, may run into the weekend.

You are correct about the 440C verses exotics however in a folder the main cost you run into is labour not material costs.

Re blade length, George was intending to do that.

holes at both ends - yes -

George uses torx screws because they do not strip the heads during the amount of assembly and re-assembly required to make a folder. You would require an appropriate sized torx screw driver if you plan on working on your folder.

Leather sheaths could be an additional option like last year.

Cheers, Carol ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the response, Carol. :)

Also, I forgot to wish the two of you a happy Anniversary. Sorry about that. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.