2012 Battery test/review summary

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "Official specifications" are the sellers/manufacturers specifications, they are not always correct.

The protection circuit has 3 key values:
Over charge cutoff voltage (probably around 4.25 volt)
Over discharge cutoff voltage (Somewhere between 2.00 and 3.00 volt)
Over current cutoff current (Somewhere between 3 and 15 ampere).

The only value I test this time around is the "Over current cutoff current" and it was different on callie and intl-outdoor.
got it. i was taking the manufacturer specs verbatim/as gospel

HKJ

Flashaholic
A status update on the battery test:

Left pile is "to do", middle is "testing" and right is "test done".
DSC_1543.jpg

It will be some time, before I am finished with the battery test.:) And my charts with discharge curves for all batteries will be completely unreadable.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
You could make a transparent graph for every tested battery and put a page on your website where the user can select the batteries he wants to see, then overlay the corresponding images.
I'm not sure if that works however, just an idea.

HKJ

Flashaholic
You could make a transparent graph for every tested battery and put a page on your website where the user can select the batteries he wants to see, then overlay the corresponding images.
I'm not sure if that works however, just an idea.

Interesting idea.
I could probably generate transparent background easily enough, but the curve would be the same color on all the charts, i.e. it would not be possible to see what curve is what battery. To avoid using to much space on the server, it would probably be best to use this type chart:
Xtar%2018650%203100%20mAh%20%28Black%29-Capacity.png

Then I only need one chart for each battery.

There is also some work doing the code, either server or client based.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I hadn't thought about the colors, that could be a problem.

png-graphics require ridiculously little space, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I hadn't thought about the colors, that could be a problem.

png-graphics require ridiculously little space, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Space is not a big problem, but there is not reason to waste it.

One way to do it would be to generate two sets of charts one with background and one color scheme and one without background and another color scheme.
This way it would only be possible to compare two batteries at a time, but that is probably enough (I could also generate 3 sets with 3 different color schemes, the 3 batteries could be compared, etc.).

U235

Newly Enlightened
Great info, thanks for your hard work HKJ. Btw, do you have a list of what's in the "to be tested pile?"

HKJ

Flashaholic
Btw, do you have a list of what's in the "to be tested pile?"

Not a full list, but it includes some AW, RediLast and UltraFire. There is also a "unknown" manufacturer that send many different batteries (Some of them are in the tested pile).

ChibiM

Enlightened
Absolutely Amazing... HKJ... thanks for posting this!
Thats a great amount of work, and very useful for many people who want to compare different cells, in different price segments..

We really appreciate all this effort!

HKJ

Flashaholic
The UltraFire 4000mAh and all the 18xx0 Keeppower batteries are now included, both in the above bar charts and in the full comparison on my website.
It might be necessary to press F5 to update the charts.

dmprok

Newly Enlightened
[SIZE=+3]Battery test/review summary[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]18650 battery charts[/SIZE]

CapacityTo3.6.png

Thanks for awesome charts! It would have been real great if you could have sorted all your charts from highest to lowest performing battery, that way I can see immediately which battery is right for me.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for awesome charts! It would have been real great if you could have sorted all your charts from highest to lowest performing battery, that way I can see immediately which battery is right for me.

That would not really be possible. Each chart show performance at more than one current and the best battery is not the same at each current.
This also means that you cannot find a single "best performing" battery, because it depends on application.

Hi HKJ, what you do with the batteries after test it? Keep it or send it back to the sellers? Just curious...

I keep the batteries and use the more extreme sizes when reviewing chargers and flashlights to find their limits on battery size.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would not really be possible. Each chart show performance at more than one current and the best battery is not the same at each current.
This also means that you cannot find a single "best performing" battery, because it depends on application.

I keep the batteries and use the more extreme sizes when reviewing chargers and flashlights to find their limits on battery size.

Let me know if you want to get rid of some of them... :D

SFMI4UT

flippflappy

Newly Enlightened
First post here and A noob to all this battery stuff. Most Likely purchasing A sunwayman Tc40cs, Which batteries and which charger? Any and all advice appreciated. Thank You.

HKJ

Flashaholic
First post here and A noob to all this battery stuff. Most Likely purchasing A sunwayman Tc40cs, Which batteries and which charger? Any and all advice appreciated. Thank You.

A good battery is one based on the NCR18650A cell, this means just about all 3100mAh batteries. You can get them from AW, RediLast, Callies and a lot of other sources.
For a charger the 4Sevens and Pila is probably the best, but the Xtar WP2 II can also be used and it is not as expensive.

flippflappy

Newly Enlightened
thank you very much HKJ. I have also been debating on purchasing a skilhunt defier x3, xml. what batteries would you suggest for this light?

HKJ

Flashaholic
thank you very much HKJ. I have also been debating on purchasing a skilhunt defier x3, xml. what batteries would you suggest for this light?

Looks like it needs 2x18500. The selection for this size battery is very small, AW has one and I have tested one from Keeppower. The Keeppower is good, but I do not know where you can get it. The AW is probably also good.
With the extension, you can use NCR18650A based batteries and will get twice the runtime.