2D+ Maglite system the best blend of "beating" and light output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Meduza said:
Get a 6C maglite (quite hard to get tough, they aren't making them anymore) and fill it up with 6 NiMh C-cells, aluminium reflector and a ROP bulb :)

Great club, and great light :D

That ain't a half bad idea!!! The 2x18650 ROP ain't a bad thing either!!!

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
How about a MagCharger? It has a 3D-cell type body, is rechargable, has a very good output and is fairly inexpensive ($69.99 at Amazon right now)..... . :)

Last edited:

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Cydonia- Darkened alleys are actually optional, but its actually the one behind our home. Lol. Even if I did not walk down an alley, I think a Mag would suit me better than my fist. Hehe. A 4C, eh? Damn you flashoholics. Lol.

Blake711- Upgrading would be to costly in the long run. Plus, my current dog is plenty big and pretty ferocious.

Mooman- I think any runtime around 1-2 hours would do if we went on a long walk. Howire mod… I need to search that.

Brighteyez- Ah, yes, but does it have light?

So it does seem to me that the Mag has the beating department on lock.

Gnufsh

Enlightened
RdlyLite said:
Well, I live in a rural 20k town in CA
I live in a rural California town of about 300. Sounds like you live in a big city to me.

I'd go with an LED upgrade, either 4 crees or one SSC P4 to retain focusability. That way you can beat all ou want and not have to worry about breaking your bulb.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figure the 4D LED module is made for 4 alkalines, so 5 NiMH's shouldn't hurt it,
so my red 5D Mag now has a 4D LED module in it.

We also have an old 6C Mag that is looking pretty sad now with its dim stock bulb.
I'll put the old 5D bulb in there for now to brighten it up a bit.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Long John said:
Hello RdlyLite and welcome to CPF:)

I have this one and it's a hell of a light:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1438337#post1438337
Funny, I was just thinking about one kind of "perfect flashlight" last night. That Tricarus I think is it. (Perhaps with a lower low for longer runtime?) Unfortunately, it's way, way, way more than I can either afford or justify for a flashlight, even if it is (nearly) ideal.

Long John said:
This is brighter than mine and for sale now, I can highly recommend it:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/148255
For nearly USD400, I should certainly hope so! :)

Last edited:

mooman

Newly Enlightened
RdlyLite said:
Mooman- I think any runtime around 1-2 hours would do if we went on a long walk. Howire mod… I need to search that.

The magcharger will give you about an hour before needing a recharge. As far as a "howire mod"...if you can find one of those, see if she has a sister!!!:lolsign:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
AndyTiedye said:
I figure the 4D LED module is made for 4 alkalines, so 5 NiMH's shouldn't hurt it,
so my red 5D Mag now has a 4D LED module in it.

Andy, I would be careful. The internal resistance of 4 alkys is far higher than 4 Nimh's let alone 5 Nimh's. Also the voltage-drop under load is higher.
I've heard from fried Led's by using 3xNimh's instead of 3xalkys.

SEMIJim, yes, it is a perfect light:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Dang, at the risk of sounding emo, you guys are great. I actually put a Mag 3w led in my Dads 3D Mag and he got all giddy. I told him, "Now that is light." He has carried that thing in his vehicle with the stock bulb for a couple of years already. lol. Now he can actually beat and/or light at the same time. Hehe.

KEW

Newly Enlightened
With 23 years of real life experience using a flashlight as an impact weapon my frist choice is the Streamlight SL 20. Thousands of officers own and use this light on the street. It is an extremely well built, rugged and durable light that has proven itself over and over. I am only on my thrid battery in 23 years! I love the Mag Mods, and own several of them, but would I use them to strike someone or something? Absolutely not. I do not believe most of the batteries in the Mod Mag are not suited for striking, and I am not sure the switch and bulb would withstand multiple blows, which is what it usually takes. Mag Mods are fantastic for an incredible amount of light, but if you are going to use as an impact weapon the Steamlight SL20 is the light you want.

Last edited:

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Hi. How would you rate the light output on your SL20 compared to the Maglites?

KEW said:
With 23 years of real life experience using a flashlight as an impact weapon my frist choice is the Streamlight SL 20. Thousands of officers own and use this light on the street. It is an extremely well built, rugged and durable light that has proven itself over and over. I am only on my thrid battery in 23 years! I love the Mag Mods, and own several of them, but would I use them to strike someone or something? Absolutely not. I do not believe most of the batteries in the Mod Mag are not suited for striking, and I am not sure the switch and bulb would withstand multiple blows, which is what it usually takes. Mag Mods are fantastic for an incredible amount of light, but if you are going to use as an impact weapon the Steamlight SL20 is the light you want.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
all you need is a 3D with Ni-Mhy high cap cells in it, that way you have good throw.
You just remove the batteries, and throw them, if you cant hit your target in 3 throws, start running :)

KEW

Newly Enlightened
A fully charged Streamlight SL 20 is very comparable with the Mag ROP mods. I would guess the Mag 85 must be at least double to output of the SL 20.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I carry a SF E1o with a CreeXRE by Milky for my nightly dog walks. I figure if my 140lb rotti and Colt 1911 doesn't deter em it don't matter what kind of light I'm blinding or beating them with.

Status
Not open for further replies.