2D+ Maglite system the best blend of "beating" and light output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstMain

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm a bit biased, since I carry a Glock everywhere, but if I was stuck in Noo Yawk or Kalifornia, I'd go with a combo of the 4 C-cell Maglite and a 2 oz. can of either Freeze+P or Fox 5.3, both work pretty well.

If problems arise they can be handled from a modest distance with the spray, and if gets up close and personal then a few whups between the eyes plus a dose of spray gets it done nicely.

Also the spray handles canine menaces a bit better than a club --- I mean flashlight --- it keeps you further away from the toothy critter.

Actually, rather than tear up a good light on some miscreant's head, I'd prefer the extendible steel baton, but that might be considered overkill....

In reality, I've only had once I needed to do anything, and the spray proved more than adequate.

Safe Walking...
Ron (Lives in Texas and glad of it)

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long John said:
Andy, I would be careful. The internal resistance of 4 alkys is far higher than 4 Nimh's let alone 5 Nimh's. Also the voltage-drop under load is higher.
I've heard from fried Led's by using 3xNimh's instead of 3xalkys.

That is unfortunate, guess what I have in all my 3D mags?

I thought these things had thermal backoff.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
AndyTiedye said:
That is unfortunate, guess what I have in all my 3D mags?

I thought these things had thermal backoff.

Andy, when the thermal backoff will kick in, the light will never turn on again:lolsign:

No seriously, I wouldn't do that. When it works, only for a short time. You will reduce the lifetime drastically.

Best regards

_____
Tom

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could almost double as a walking stick... :laughing:

Btw shouldn't there be a limit on how old threads can be lifted from the grave? ;)

Fleetwood

Newly Enlightened
When walking at night, I carry my 6D. Go big or go home.
Compensating for something?

Anyway, this is a 2007 thread you revived, but I can't help but notice some "baseball bat torches" on Amazon of late. They look like this and are super cheap. Looks like they'd beat a Mag all day long, but would probably fall under an Offensive Weapon in some countries e.g. the UK, possibly, depending... i do love that "heatsink"...

torch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts