2D revival help

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to start a new thread about Mag incan options in 2019, but this thread is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you all for showing what's available today; I have never heard of kaidomain before reading about it here, and I think I'm going to be ordering reflectors and lenses towards the end of December. Many thanks indeed!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still lots of options out there to keep these old Mags burning. I still use my 3D a ton. It's hard to lose if nothing else. I actually am working on a couple warm LED options now. One will be a 3 mode retrofit for D cell Mags. It's not a cheap mod but I'm hoping to do a little experimenting and see what happens. I plan to post a build thread soon.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
Not as relevant as most posts. But I love running 2V 1.2A bulbs in my 2D mag with nicad D cells. The current bulb I'm using focuses perfectly so it throws very, very well for the lumens. But I've used the setup for years now and is a favorite of mine.

swampgator

Enlightened
get aluminum reflector, glass lens, best one is borocilicate glass, 2 li ion cell, from 18650 to 26650, and everything in between, use rop bulb, rop ho (iirc 3854) will give you about 1000lm, runtime will be from 30 min to an hour depending on cells.

Where are finding ROP bulbs these days???

Minimoog

Enlightened
I lookef but can't find 2v bulbs anywhere. Are they still made? What I can find is 2.4v 1.2a Krypton. Tried them and they seem decent on 2 x D NiMh but 2v would be whiter light.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to Liftd, gurdygurds and everyone in this thread I've got KD MOP and OP V3.1 reflectors coming (one of each), and 2 glass lenses. If I like them as much as I think I will I'll order another 3 so that each of my incan Mags (2-6Ds) can have them, along with the possibilities that the non-plastic materials bring.

Thank you! :)

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! I think you will, they throw such a nice and even beam! No more black hole or artifacts everywhere. The light still throws awesome too. They're all I run on my Mags now.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the glass lens make such a difference compared to the stock lens?

If you talking borofloat vs coated glass, aka ucl. then on paper 8-10% difference, in reality you will not notice it, unless you shine both on a white wall to compare. stock maglite lens is plastic, if you using bulbs (not oem bulbs) you need boroisilicate glass, UCL (ultra clear lens) cracks under heat

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
I lookef but can't find 2v bulbs anywhere. Are they still made? What I can find is 2.4v 1.2a Krypton. Tried them and they seem decent on 2 x D NiMh but 2v would be whiter light.

I've bought all my bulbs in person. I found the bulk of mine at a neat store called Marden's way out in Brewer, ME. Also got some off eBay, same as my decades old German Phillips hpr53s.

I've only got maybe 5-10 of them, just don't use them a lot as much as I have a lot of maglites and a lot of LED lights. With 2 nicads though, they are very white, nearly as much as the hpr53 overdriven on 4xNiMH. Less bright, but my favorite shade of light, that brilliant incandescent.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good glass makes a noticeable positive difference.

Agreed! If your stock lens is brand new and in perfect shape you won't notice much of a difference. But the stock lenses scratch soooo easily and you really lose a lot of light and the beam will show a lot of artifacts. I run the KAI Domain UCL Glass Lenses in all my Mags. They are the perfect thickness. The ebay ones and others are too thick and the bezel doesn't screw down all the way.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Which reflector works better for a general use light with the Malkoff dropin installed, the OP or the MOP?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
because it is a poor design, was ok maybe 10 years ago or more, today there are much better drop ins. as well as lights made as leds from the start

I wouldn't say poor design. You have any idea how long a Malkoff M61 would run off of say 4-6 D cells?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't say poor design. You have any idea how long a Malkoff M61 would run off of say 4-6 D cells?

i would, especially since my response was about p60 and d36 dropins in a maglite, how long? I have no clue, i never used p60\61 dropin in a maglite, they are for surefire\solar force lights. and those do not use D cells

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I was simple stating that this adapter would be pretty cool in a Maglite and due to the large capacity of D cells should have awesome runtime. That's it.