4000+ Lumen Test & BridgeLux LED Review

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Watts = amps x volts

Whether you want to control one or the other is your perogative. CC or CV is a choice. End wattage is the same.

I wonder if packaging/cost is at play here which has nothing to do with the law of physics. Budget? simplicity? size? flexibility? economics?....
AMC7135 is cheap and its easy to use. Its horribly inefficient when input voltage increases. And, LEDs are variable. So, CC might be an easier foolproof choice.

My step up dc-dc 'VARIABLE' voltage converter works great. I can power almost any LED from 25-140w with it, within the voltage limitations of the converter, which means I can't have an unlimited series string of LEDs. I can adjust output by simply turning a knob. Find me a CC(actually variable current) driver that can does this for under $20.

BTW, MikeAusC, I can't wait to see your build and schematic for your $12 converter.

clint357

Newly Enlightened
Are there any good ways to properly drive this thing (price not being an issue)? I have not really seen any constant current drivers that would work for this 8,800 lumen beast. I'm really tempted to make a housing for one though. I made a light that is mounted on a boat with the 2,200 lumen model with a eurobeam aspheric on it and it works great.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is that drivers designed specifically for LEDs are constant-current ? AMC7135 etc. If the readily available constant voltage supplies were suitable, no-one would have bothered developing constant current LED drivers to get better power stability.

Missed this one awhile back, otherwise I'd be all over it. Constant current drivers were built for design specific LED arrays where factories in China pump out zillions of beehive fixtures that burn out in six. months and in a universe where 10watts is a lot. I've never blown a power led on a fixed voltage circuit, nor seen one fail. I've killed a shoebox full on fixed current drivers though, not that I advocate designing for such. This myth that power LEDs are hyper sensitive components that freak out and fail at the drop of a 10% current flux is absurd.

At present I've built several LED reef lights + 100watts and lost count at the number of odd ball custom LED designs I've made. Typically I use constant current drivers, most notably MeanWell because of their price / performance ratio. A pair of 48Ds can light a small/medium size reef tank pretty good and provide variable color via external pot, Arduino, etc.

I also have several arrays in place using fixed voltage bricks, and they worked quite well. I'm not some idiot trying to run a 20watt Ebay LED from a 12volt battery. I get 12-24volt 700mA drivers from China for a Dollar, and they have proven to be more reliable, consistent and more durable than Buck-Sucks from LuxDrive. A 35watt / 48volt AC/DC Mean Well costs $17, so it's pointless and a waste of time building my own circuits.

Obviously a current regulated source, particularly a high quality one can deliver greater efficiency, and be design specific. However, current regulated sources suffer from design issues when run in parallel that are very annoying.
So, the best option is simply to design so you don't need parallel runs, but that's easier said than done. As per above, most of the higher end LED drivers are capable of 48volt and higher, which is cool because the higher voltage allows for greater efficiency off mains and longer series runs. They are also mandatory for firing higher voltage Bridgelux emitters.

The down side is a 48volt LED driver throws enough current inrush to stain your underwear and they torch more sensitive 3watt LEDs, specifically rebels. They also short a lot easier than 24volt. I started using Rebels for reef lights, but found it takes half a dozen in series with a Mean Well to buffer current inrush and keep from randomly popping them. So, these current regulated drivers you guys so lovingly endorse start to get not so friendly when driven at +20 watt levels. They'll also give you a hard smack when shorted against your arm. Thermistors are no help with larger circuits because they require massive cooling.

A few years ago I started building high powered 6' rails for a night club, and the owner couldn't decide how many rails he wanted. That meant I couldn't use a fixed current regulated source because I needed additional parallel runs. I could have used a 48D and trimmed the current as I added each parallel run, but any slight mistake and I'd pop all of them. Or, I could have mounted a AC/DC regulated driver to each rail, which would have drastically increased cost and required extensive ceiling rewiring. Or, I could have used a fixed voltage source < 24volts negating conduit requirements and used a DC/DC constant current driver on each rail. That's kind of how on board SMD strips do it.

I ended up just running the 18.5 volt brick to each rail in parallel because at approx 3.1 Vf to each LED the illimunation level is perfect for what he wants and they'll last forever. Been up close to 3 years 24/7 already, which is already better than 75% of the current regulated junk that costs 3x as much and isn't nearly as bright. I could have added a 12/24 DC/DC regulator on each rail, but what the hell for. It would just eat power anyways and raise costs.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any good ways to properly drive this thing (price not being an issue)?

Sure. I think a Mean Well HLG 100 will do it at 95% efficiency and AC/DC conversion, but why would you? I simply don't get the facination with these big emitters.

Seriously - do the math on Bridgelux's site. Often it's cheaper to hit the same lumen levels using more of their lesser powered emitters because their big ones carry a premium. Usually it's their 800-1200 lumen range emitters that have the best price per lumen ratio. So, use several of those instead on their big arrays. Plus, by using half a dozen 800 lumen LEDs you can tweak the array around and find a better driver to fit. Figure out your desired lumen level first, and choose LED config next. AC/DC drivers for Bridgelux emitters are easy to find, efficient as hell and not expensive, but those big, 30volt arrays are awkward to drive from a common LED supply unless you want to DIY the driver as well.

clint357

Newly Enlightened
I like the simplicity of a single LED, single optic, less wiring, and single housing. It also seems to be easier to get a good beam out of a single source than trying to aim multiple devices into a specific pattern. I like the beam pattern of the single bridgelux light I made with a euro beam pattern more than what I could get with a trio of P7 sources. I personally like the look of a single can vs a light bar as well. I will have to post a pic of the other bridgelux light I made...I just prefer the form factor over the bar style. I'm not saying that you are right or wrong...just personal preference. If it were a goal to make them in mass quantities for profit, I believe that the single source would be cheaper in the long run for the amount of light you are getting.

1-3-2-4

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is old but I have a security light I want to retrofit, I was looking at the BridgeLux BXRA-50C5300-H-00 I just don't know if a 5 1/2" 6 1/2" aluminum heatsink is enough to cool one or two of them? Would I be better off going with smaller LED's? I need at least 6800 lm.

argleargle

Enlightened
Re: .·´¯`·-> !! 4000+ Lumen Test & BridgeLux LED Review!! <-·´¯`·.

Heh. Even if it's an old thread, this is still awesome.

Last edited:

Matie

Newly Enlightened
LED_Night_Light_Schematic.gif
As shown the circuit drives 24 LEDs at ~20 mA. If you want to drive, say, 6 power LEDs at 350 mA, then change C1 to 10 uF, change R1 to about a few ohms ( or even just stick in a 1 amp fuse ), and change C2 to about 4700 uF or 10000 uF. Efficiency > 90%, not bad current regulation, no surges if there is a short, very simple, inexpensive parts. Yes, the output voltage will still rise if the one of the LEDs gets disconnected, but fairly slowly due to the huge filter cap. I'm also fairly sure another cap across the AC input to the bridge will limit the rise ( I'll test it in my circuit simulator ).

> 90% efficiency is quite good.
Could you help with 2x 54 Parallel LED's at 2.98 fv 1050ma for a total of 160.92v 2100ma from 240AC.

54x2.jpg

I have a single 240v Mains powered Mean Well power supply to drive this, but it is not doing a lot for the cost.

Unfortunately the 2.1A high current required for this Array could not be meet simply by adding Capacitors.

If there was a better option, guessing it would be known.

Merry Christmas

Last edited: