5 die 100mA 8mm LEDs - experience?

Skywise

Newly Enlightened
Howdie,

Today I received some 8mm 5 die warm white LEDs which run at 100mA. Since I got them from eBay (80k mcd at 120 degrees! yeah right..) I have limited specs.

Does anyone have any experience with such LEDs? How's the lifetime and temperature management? I've also noticed that, while 5 wires go into the phosphorus, 2 are connected to the positive site and 3 to the negative side ... that seems a bit odd to me, or am I missing something?

-Sky

Skywise

Newly Enlightened
Guess I am answering my own post ;)

After playing with these LEDs for a while I am reasonably impressed. They are a good color temperature and are quite bright. Obviously not the 80k mcd at 140 degrees (which would translate into over 300 lumen) which was claimed by the ebay seller, but if I had to guess 4000-6000mcd or 15 to 20 lumen.

I was a bit suprised on how warm those get but even after running them for several hours, I was not able to notice any problems like changes in color temperature etc. In my permanent project I will most likely solder a few additional wires to the leads to provide some additional heat sinking.

8mmHPledsize.jpg

In case anyone's curious, I purchased those here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230249157918

-Sky