50 inch Reflector "Monster Light"

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've finished building the primary reflector mold. I am about half way done with the 50 inch main reflector mold. I will post photos soon.:twothumbs

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
GOOD LORD!!! :faint:

Cant wait to see beamshots.

The test, beam shots, I've done so far, have gone very well! The test 'main reflector' section, takes a small diameter (0.1 - 4 inches) flashlight and really concentrates the beam into a farther throwing, better defined, brighter spot. I'm excited to see this finished searchlight myself!:D The reflector will have an adjustable focus to allow flood light mode or a softer spot if needed.

I'll post photos this weekend, that shows the construction of the reflector molds. I will be using steel to reinforce the fiberglass, coated with "Chrome Brite" reflective metallic tape, for the reflectors.

(I am putting my Home Depot, 100 watt HID back into the the original 12" smaller LightSward, I built last winter. I'll use a 12 volt to 120 volt car power converter for portability. I only posted a beam shot of this once)

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
lovecpf Here are next group of construction photos of the Reflector mold fabrication process.

Easy Reflector Mold Foam Sandwich construction concept

This is the concept of the Rigid Foam Frame...stack 'em like layers in a sandwich.

Cut-out guide for Rigid Foam Frame

Cut-out guide for the Rigid Foam Board sandwich frame. This is the underlying shape of the reflector mold. The rigid board insulation foam will eventually be replaced with concrete to allow for easier mass production of the 50 inch Monster Searchlight.

First, 50inch reflector, rigid foam sandwich layer, cut out

The first Rigid Foam Board layer is roughly profiled with a reciprocating saw, set at average profile angle.

47 inch Rigid Foam Frame compared to 12 inch concentrator reflector mold

This shot shows the large size of a primary mold component of the 50 inch Monster Reflector. Shown with the 12 inch condenser reflector mold.

Light Concentrator (Condenser) mold

Here the final silicon cement layer is finished on the 12 inch condensing reflector. This reflector will focus and redirect the light from the HID light source onto the main 50 inch Reflector.

Concentrating reflector mold ready for protective coatings

Several layers of primer and protective paint and hardener coatings are applied to protect mold.

Rigid Foam Sandwich stack for mold core

The sandwich assembly is half complete for the 50 inch Monster Reflector frame mold.

Mold Profiler

This profiler helps ensure accurate reflector shape :naughty:.

First couple layers of Joint Compound (silicon based concrete), applied

3997675274_362f63c042.jpg

Rigid Foam core mold for 50 inch Monster Searchlight, has had first several layers of Silicon Cement applied :twothumbs. The next several layers of finishing compound, will bring more accuracy to the shape and a smooth glass like surface.

This is now starting to get to the really exciting phase of actually molding the reflectors, using steel reinforced fiberglass.:popcorn: I start to fiberglass the condenser reflector tomorrow. I hope the mold survives the separation procedure.

Last edited:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW

Super stuff.

:cool:

Mighty impressive work there - brilliant will probably be a good adjective to use !

Love the mould making and all the hard work researching and designing the profiles etc.

Can't wait for the finished item and beamshots to rival the old WW2 searchlights . . .

Cheers
Pete

ps. How much is postage to the UK for a mirror kit ?

:mecry:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW

Super stuff.

:cool:

Mighty impressive work there - brilliant will probably be a good adjective to use !

Love the mould making and all the hard work researching and designing the profiles etc.

Can't wait for the finished item and beamshots to rival the old WW2 searchlights . . .

Cheers
Pete

ps. How much is postage to the UK for a mirror kit ?

:mecry:

:popcorn:I'm planning on the basic unit to be fairly easy to transport by foot, bike or car, and light enough to manipulate by hand.

Shipping cost look to be around $150.oo U.S. dollars. May be able to find lower rates.
I hope the beamshots to be at least close in :candle::whistle::hitit:appearance to the old WWII searchlights. The main advantage, I hope, is the use of inexpensive 30,000 hour regular hardware store HID lamps. As budget allows, I will experiment with smaller arc light sources for a tighter more narrow beam.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such an intensive construction process... you truly are the consumate CPF flash-a-holic! :thumbsup:

I had been contemplating some kind of "Godzilla" reflector design myself to mate with a generic HID import, thanks for inspiring all those DIY'ers out there! ;)

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
LightSward,
Awesome project!
Mold making from raw materials of this size, you're a true inspiration for those of us so desperate to get our hands on affordable reflectors.

And you're in the Great Northwest :thumbsup:! Don't know how close you live to Portland International, but you may make some new friends soon.

Although their spec. sheets are entertaining at the least, I just can't part with the kind of $$ needed for even the basic silvered glass parabolics from
OptiForms Inc., especially when I really need a 19" size.
Hope the mold works out well for you. It's shaping-up nicely from what I see!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to inspire everyone looking to build practical, fun and educational reflectors.

If all goes reasonably well, i.e., the beam can hit distant clouds with a bright beam spot, I will be offering kits and finished searchlights for reasonable prices. I have to finish working out final prices, after everything is analyzed. To those wishing to build their own, I'm willing to offer some assistance.;)

I'm hoping the light beam will be visible for many miles:twothumbs when I have the funds to purchase my fantasy small arc light source, but for now a standard 400 watt HID, or budget allowing, standard 1000 watt HID will have to suffice for a little while:candle:.

With today's light pollution, the beam will have perhaps a 5 to 10 mile visibility with these long arc, low wattage HID bulbs...:whistle:but that is part of the fun, seeing how well less expensive, off the shelf, standard parts work. I'll just have to wait until I actually finish the searchlight and turn on the beam and see how well it works.:thumbsup:

I live out towards Hillsboro, by Cooper Mountain Vinyards and Jenkins Estate, (West Beaverton area) and the sky here is pretty dark compared to the rest of Portland. Even my 35 watt HID converted Cyclops, projects a beam into the sky that can often be seen a mile or so, many nights here. :cool: Obviously there are atmospheric conditions to be considered.

I am about to start final prep of the 12" condenser reflector for fiberglass application, by covering the mold with release agents, (basically a special kind of wax) and then the fiberglass, steel frame and light socket support structure will be imbedded into the fiberglass during build-up.

In the following photo, you can see the 50 inch main reflector mold, having the final Silicon Cement layers added and soon preparation for final protective coatings and fiberglass release agents to be added.

Preparing to apply final coatings

spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4004164098_23ec44ca1c.jpg

Several Silicon Cement layers have been applied here. Several protective layers of various hardeners and sealers will follow.

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching this thread with great interest. That is going to be one crazy reflector!

I once saw what I believe was a 75W XeRay at Milky's PF8, and man, was it bright! Took about 30 seconds or so for it to warm up, and the output was definitely something to be seen. "The Monster" though, with even just a measly, wimpy (hehe) 400W system, and that reflector... I wonder if the XeRay's beam could even be seen inside of this one's.

I'm hoping that you stick a 1kW in there instead, just for the sheer bombastic-ness, but if 400W saves money that will eventually go toward purchasing a small arc, then I think it'll suffice for now. ;)

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:cool: I've begun the fiberglass molding of the 12 inch condenser reflector. If all goes well, the fiberglass shell will separate from the mold, without too much destruction to the mold itself. I put on several layers of release wax...so fingerslovecpf crossed. (No matter what, I should have a good reflector...I'm just hoping I won't have to remake the mold... I will make a stronger mold if need be.)

I'm in the final prep and sealing stages of the 50 inch reflector mold. I will mold it tomorrow with the fiberglass.:cool: (With-in the next few days, I should have an idea if all went well, or if some delay, adjustment or redesign is needed.) Hopefully....:naughty: it will be a Monsterous = success!

ZardHex

Newly Enlightened
Hi Lightsward,

Was looking at your 24" searchlight project and found this thread linked...I must say, "Awesome work!" For you to create a powerful light with ordinary materials the common man has access to, kudos! I've found myself recently searching out yard sales and flea markets for the "perfect" reflector, which could very-well be some stainless steel kitchenware (salad bowl 18 - 36" diameter with that ideal shape) I had a question for you:

I noticed that your 24" reflector is much deeper in proportion compared to your new 50"...is that due to the size of the light's arc being used, or just a product of physics meaning the larger you go, the shallower it must be?

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lightsward,

Was looking at your 24" searchlight project and found this thread linked...I must say, "Awesome work!" For you to create a powerful light with ordinary materials the common man has access to, kudos! I've found myself recently searching out yard sales and flea markets for the "perfect" reflector, which could very-well be some stainless steel kitchenware (salad bowl 18 - 36" diameter with that ideal shape) I had a question for you:

I noticed that your 24" reflector is much deeper in proportion compared to your new 50"...is that due to the size of the light's arc being used, or just a product of physics meaning the larger you go, the shallower it must be?

:party: Thanks for the comments. I too have gone to yard sales, thrift shops and even Big Box Stores, and have found shiny salad bowls, lamp bases, other pots and pans, (scientist from a satellite company, I saw on NOVA, do this to help fabricate components to save costs --->>>). A 24 inch relish dish started my 24 inch reflector quest, for which I now actually have five, 24 inch reflectors of various types, the most recent being the homemade "LightSward", you noted earlier. Some of these kitchen wares have done a remarkable job. There seems to always be a glitch that keeps me looking, but I have found some good ones, and even combined several in an attempt get desirable configurations.:naughty:

There were several factors I considered in deciding which type reflector to use. One big reason I chose the shallow parabolic mirror, (I configured with a deep light gathering ellipsoidal light condenser), is how the searchlight arrangement gathers the light from the bulb. The light radiating from a(n) HID bulb is roughly 270 by 360 degree radiation pattern, which is gathered by a light condensing reflector, directing the light first to a relatively small point where an adjustable aperture is located. Then the light rays travel away from the light point, spreading as a manageable 'ring', towards the larger, flatter, 50 inch 'lens' reflector, which focuses this light point, like a large lens, on a distant object.

Another light gathering point of consideration was that the deep parabolic reflector gathers it's light in a way which means much of the gathering surface of the reflector is close to the arc tube. Since the hardware store type light source is relatively large, the beam is not as well focused. This causes several different beam configurations to come from the reflector at the same time, resulting in a beam with a narrow 'hot spot', plus fading corona and halo, which can be desirable, but not in this case. If a small arc HID was used, a smaller deeper parabolic 'reflector' works well.

Another point of consideration was also my limited storage space. The shallow dish design allows easier storage; up against walls, behind clothes in a closet, behind curtains, or up against the ceiling with small little ceiling hangers, which doubles nicely as a shop light for intricate chores. :cool:

I have always been fascinated by both types parabolic reflector, I have used the magnifying side of "make-up" mirrors as a reflector, but the light source is somewhat wasted unless special arrangements are used.

There are many more reason, (I like experimenting with light) but these are the main ones.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching this thread with great interest. That is going to be one crazy reflector!

I once saw what I believe was a 75W XeRay at Milky's PF8, and man, was it bright! Took about 30 seconds or so for it to warm up, and the output was definitely something to be seen. "The Monster" though, with even just a measly, wimpy (hehe) 400W system, and that reflector... I wonder if the XeRay's beam could even be seen inside of this one's.

I'm hoping that you stick a 1kW in there instead, just for the sheer bombastic-ness, but if 400W saves money that will eventually go toward purchasing a small arc, then I think it'll suffice for now. ;)

I definitely want to use a 1000 watt HID! :grin2: :candle:

The 75W XeRAy sounds awesome! :cool:

I'm hoping all the work, and hype I've done pays off.:laughing::twothumbs

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
need beamshots!!!:poke::naughty:

Patience Flash !

Methinks he needs to finish it first . . .

:D

Hi LS

How would a large(ish) (?48") satellite dish work with your DLGELC
(deep light gathering ellipsoidal light condenser)

?

Are they too shallow to use your current design ? would they need a different DLGELC or are they just not suitable ?

? ? ? ? ?

:popcorn:

Cheers
Pete