50 inch Reflector "Monster Light"

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patience Flash !

Methinks he needs to finish it first . . .

:D

Hi LS

How would a large(ish) (?48") satellite dish work with your DLGELC
(deep light gathering ellipsoidal light condenser)

?

Are they too shallow to use your current design ? would they need a different DLGELC or are they just not suitable ?

? ? ? ? ?

:popcorn:

Cheers
Pete

I have considered old solid satellite dishes, (not the mesh screen type, though that could have remedies). Not having measured one, only by looking at them and the arrangement of the pick-up horn, I'd say there is a good chance it could work.

I understand there is an anti-weather coating on the dish that has to be dealt with, (the reflective tape adhesive coating won't stick too well), but otherwise It could work.:thumbsup: I don't have access to one, but did look for one though.

I decided to design and build both the condenser and main reflector from scratch to make sure the concept could work with-in my budget.:cool:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have completed the Fiberglass-ing and steel framing of the condenser reflector, and half the fiberglass layers and part of frame of the main reflector have been completed. I will wait a couple days before I attempt to remove the product from the 'mold'.:rolleyes: :thinking:...Anticipation...:cool::poke::D

roadie

Enlightened
I have completed the Fiberglass-ing and steel framing of the condenser reflector, and half the fiberglass layers and part of frame of the main reflector have been completed. I will wait a couple days before I attempt to remove the product from the 'mold'.:rolleyes: :thinking:...Anticipation...:cool::poke::D

:twothumbs, take yr time, we all can wait, a good finished product is better than a rushed ones .....

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to subscribe to this thread! Great work so far! How much research and or theory was applied? Did you have a design on paper you thought might work, or are you more of a shoot from the hip kind of designer? Either way, I hope this sucker can light up a cloud!

EDIT: If this sounds like rubbish, please excuse me :drunk: I'll edit the post!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to subscribe to this thread! Great work so far! How much research and or theory was applied? Did you have a design on paper you thought might work, or are you more of a shoot from the hip kind of designer? Either way, I hope this sucker can light up a cloud!

EDIT: If this sounds like rubbish, please excuse me :drunk: I'll edit the post!

A combination of research and theory was applied to this project. First, I grew up around theater lighting equipment and was around many 60 inch searchlights (Las Vegas), and was able to examine how the light gathering and focusing elements worked. Our science programs in school were advanced, plenty of exposure to optical experiments.

I've been pretty good at paper designing, and now with 3-D vector graphics using Auto CAD, I can generate very accurate light ray analysis's (spelling I need work). I experiment often. I usually know what the results will be before performing experiments.

I did experiments with odds and ends of reflectors and lenses that have 'roughly' the same optical characteristics as the desired components of the proposed 50 inch searchlight, and was successful! You might say I use all three; research, theory and shoot from the hip procedures.:candle::popcorn::whistle::twothumbs

BVH

Flashaholic
I remember my 60" CA mirror was very shallow as compared to most typical flashlight reflector depths. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 6-8" over the 5' width.

Looking forward to this project!

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
BVH,

When I was just a wee lad, my parents were probably going insane driving
me around to look at 60-inchers like yours!
Drawn to the flame.
Now look at us. A wonderfully crazy bunch having some serious fun.

LightSward, you may be crafting your project into a potential reflector kit
trust fund. You'll let us know where the ticket line starts?

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember my 60" CA mirror was very shallow as compared to most typical flashlight reflector depths. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 6-8" over the 5' width.

Looking forward to this project!

I designed the 50" HID mirror with a 6-1/4" depth, similar to the CA 60", 6-8 inch depth you mentioned, which as much as possible, I used as a guide, (I don't have the exact mirror specifications). :popcorn:

As you know, the 60" CA, by it's very light producing method, is already directing much of it's light at the 60" mirror. :thumbsup:

Because the HID produces much of it's light in a 360 degree by a roughly 270 degree radiation pattern, I had to build a light condenser to focus and redirect the light into a 100 degree coned ring of light towards the 50" mirror.:whistle: I'm capturing a sizable amount of light radiating from the arc tube, but still some waste.

I always wanted a CA 60" light, hopefully this 50" Monster Searchlight will somewhat imitate the "Great GrandPa" of all lights.:tinfoil:

This should be a lot of fun!

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH,

When I was just a wee lad, my parents were probably going insane driving
me around to look at 60-inchers like yours!
Drawn to the flame.
Now look at us. A wonderfully crazy bunch having some serious fun.

LightSward, you may be crafting your project into a potential reflector kit
trust fund. You'll let us know where the ticket line starts?

I'm excited to see this work. I'm nearing the completion date. Things seem to be progressing well. If this works, I'll work out costs and start taking orders.:cool:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am seeing the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.:D Things are coming along well. From what I can tell, the reflecting surfaces are coming off the molds with a glass smoothness, that should make this thing "Shine"! I'll know in a day or so how this all works out.:thinking::tinfoil::):cool:

I have also obtained the means to make the 100 watt HID and 400 watt HID portable with battery and/ or automobile power. Hopefully all the electrical characteristics will operate as specified.:whistle: The 1000 watt HID will be a month or so away.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just finished washing the mold from the ellipsoidal light condenser. I still have to prep the surface before I apply the reflective chrome tape, but all indications are the reflector is a success.:twothumbs

The main reflector is almost finished. Just a couple more days. I'll get some photos posted next few days.

12 inch condenser reflector mold is waxed

The 12 inch reflector mold is waxed to assist in mold release from the finished product.

50 inch reflector mold is ready for waxing

Here the 50 inch Monster Reflector is hard surfaced and ready for mold release waxing.

I'm off to do some tests...:cool::rolleyes::naughty:

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the kind remarks.

I was delayed working on the project today, I was assistant special effects director for a local movie shoot today, and the filming went over schedule, time wise, (typical..fun though...). :cool:

I hope to start mirroring the 12 inch condenser reflector, Monday. The big 50 inch monster reflector, will have to wait until probably Tuesday:candle:, but then...hopefully, after a couple days assembling the hardware and wiring everything up,::hitit: :twothumbs it will be awesome!

Well, today I have cleaned most of both reflectors. The large 50 inch reflector has 'emerged' and is looking good!!! :twothumbs The next few days will be surface preparation and chrome foiling, hardware construction, and bulb installation. I'm excited, everything seems to be coming out as designed!!!:twothumbs:hitit:

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:whistle: I have removed the molds from the 12 and 50 inch reflectors. Basically a huge success! The following are some photos showing the progress up until yesterday. Hardware is being fabricated to support the various reflectors in their respective positions. I have done some basic optical property calibrations and tests on the reflectors with some mirroring, the results are well with-in design limits!:twothumbs

The 50 & 12 inch reflectors after mold removal and first surface treatment.

In the foreground is the Monster 50 inch reflector. In the background, the 12 inch condenser.

Backside of 50 inch Monster Reflector

The basic steel support frame is seen in this backside photo.

Steel frame is 'glassed in'

The steel reinforcing frame is glassed in with basic hardware.

12 inch Condenser Reflector gets first trim

The 12 inch condenser reflector is trimmed and ready for final shaping and surfacing.

50 inch reflector after mold separation
4028139643_9b2b391d81_m.jpg

This is the 50 inch reflector after mold removal.:twothumbs:cool:

Soon the chrome mirror paint and tape will be applied!

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightsward, no chrome shops around you? I realize it's very hard to find a chrome shop, not to mention one that chromes stuff that isn't metal, but just curious why you are using reflective tape.

The bowls came out great! nice and smooth! Can't wait to see what the end result looks like :twothumbs

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightsward, no chrome shops around you? I realize it's very hard to find a chrome shop, not to mention one that chromes stuff that isn't metal, but just curious why you are using reflective tape.

The bowls came out great! nice and smooth! Can't wait to see what the end result looks like :twothumbs

Thanks for the good words! I hope it comes out well.

I like doing as much as I can in my shop, with this sort of project,...tape may not look as good, but I...I may look into chrome shops again, but the costs were high (the guy on the phone laughed when I asked if he could chrome my smaller 24 inch searchlight for under $600.oo),...compared to the relatively inexpensive tape, when I was considering mirroring options...:thinking::cool: After this prototype reflector, I may spend more time finding someone, or it may be worth it, if my manufacturing skills make a very good reflector...:whistle::thumbsup:

Last edited: