500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a magnetic switch. Microphones and mics got magnets. Looks easy on the vid, but the small magnet in the speaker is weak and has to sweep the exact right spot on the torpedo, so i think it might have been a lucky hit. The torpedo has shared the front jacket pocket with my phone many many times now and this is a first time. When i tried to film it, i had a hard time finding the sweet spot and activate the light with my phone again.

When I placed the torpedo on the back on the phone the antiroll feature of the clip held the lights magnet in the right angle for it to slide directly over the speaker on the back of the phone. I think the phone must have been with the bottom down. The speaker is ca 1,5-2 cm from the bottom of the phone. So i think the torpedo have been head down, and the unlucky clip orientaiton helped guide the sweetspot past the speaker. turned the clip 90 degrees. they will share pocket some more. i doubt it will happen again now with the clip in a different angle.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Torpedo-X Thoughts

I've taken a while to post my thoughts after having the light for a week.

Guy – You have done an amazing job with this product. My thoughts on the light appear to be along the lines of the other posts I am reading. I hope you can take my criticism as purely constructive as even though there appear to be more cons than pros in my list below I do feel that except for sorting out the UI the Torpedo X could to go production as it is.

Pros:

• Packaging – Amazing packaging. Likely the most impressive, unique and innovative that I have ever seen. It is obvious a lot of time went into the design. You've out done yourself – Bravo!
  • Flashlight Design
    • Top notch design. I like everything about the design of the light.
    • The red accents are perfect and really give the light a luxurious touch.
    • The small extension tube is perfect. I may likely use that as my primary tube regardless of battery size.
  • UI
    • The rotation is a great feature. It rotates just the right amount between level changes. Any quicker and you could skip levels a bit too easily.
  • Beam – The reflector and beam are perfect for the uses of a light this size.
  • Tint – I got the 4000K tint and I love it.
  • Level Spacing – Very nice selection on the level spacing although Level 2 could be a touch brighter.

Cons:

• Clip
    • The clip did not fit snug against the body of the light when clipped on. I resolved by pinching it a bit tighter with pliers.
    • When removing the clip it scratched the anodize on the smaller body.
  • UI
    • When you turn through a level you can't stop right after the level changes or else a turn in either direction will always go higher. You must turn through the level change about another 1/8 of a turn and then the reverse direction will change levels as expected. I found this required a bit too much thought to become intuitive over time.
    • Sometime the light will get stuck on High and neither direction will lower the level until after quite a few full turns. This seems to be an issue only on 10440 batteries.
    • The level switching on 10440 batteries seems to be a bit twitchy. Sometimes it will change two levels very quickly. On NiMH this doesn't appear to be as much of a problem.
  • Battery rattle in the larger tube. The inner diameter is a bit too wide and there is a rattle with both AAA Eneloops and 10440 eFest IMR.
  • PWM – I know that PWM is an acceptable way to alter the light levels and provides a more consistent tint but I found the level too low and a bit bothersome.
  • Control Knob – a little too loose for my liking. Some damping grease may improve the feel and smooth the action.
  • Torpedo fins – a little too sharp and pointy. Can the edges be rounded a bit to give a smoother feel in the hand?

Taking all of my thoughts into consideration I realize that some of them are just nit-picky things and changing everything in not possible. With that in mind the changes I would really like see are:

• UI - One-way rotation. Turn to the right to power on and raise levels. Turn to the left to lower the level. It would be cool if turning to the left it could go straight from OFF to High – similar to the HF line. That way the UI could immediately access Low or Hi. It would also remove some of the inconsistencies in the level switching.
  • PWM – Increase PWM to 1kHz minimum. I've got some drivers with 4-5kHz PWM and you can't even tell they use PWM.
  • Control Knob – Damping of the control knob to smooth it out and make it a little tighter. Also, putting some detents at the points where the dots align so you could feel a click or something tactile to know you've reached the right spot would be nice. This could also help prevent potential "hot pocket" issues.
  • Level Spacing – Level 2 could be a little brighter. The jump from Level 1 to 2 is a bit small and the jump from Level 2 to 3 is a touch too much. It took a bit before I saw the final specs in the manual and that there is a slight difference between NiMH and 10440. I like the larger jump on the 10440 cells but wish L1 were lower and L2 higher. On NiMH I like L1 and wish L2 was closer to 10 lumens.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine turned on by accident today. Dont think the ring moved. Sweep it past the speaker on my phone, and it turns on.[...]

Its a magnetic switch. Microphones and mics got magnets. Looks easy on the vid, but the small magnet in the speaker is weak and has to sweep the exact right spot on the torpedo, so i think it might have been a lucky hit. The torpedo has shared the front jacket pocket with my phone many many times now and this is a first time. When i tried to film it, i had a hard time finding the sweet spot and activate the light with my phone again.

When I placed the torpedo on the back on the phone the antiroll feature of the clip held the lights magnet in the right angle for it to slide directly over the speaker on the back of the phone. I think the phone must have been with the bottom down. The speaker is ca 1,5-2 cm from the bottom of the phone. So i think the torpedo have been head down, and the unlucky clip orientaiton helped guide the sweetspot past the speaker. turned the clip 90 degrees. they will share pocket some more. i doubt it will happen again now with the clip in a different angle.

To actually detect movement, the magnet should activate at least 2 sensors in sequence, else nothing is supposed happen ---> is there an error in the programming? It is ossible with all the funny reports of directional problems, but the sensors might also be a bit too sensitive...

I'll reserve the rest of my comments and suggestions for when mine clears customs ;)

sweet17

Newly Enlightened
Hi guy. Received S/N 068 the other day. Very nice. Thank you for the personal note :)

i read the list of fixes that you summarized from all the detailed user feedback. Incorporate those fixes and you've got a winner!

i only have one very modest suggestion. The control ring has the same "appearance and feel" as the rest of the flashlight. For me at least it would help me to operate the control ring more easily (especially in the dark) if the control ring had a different tactile feel (perhaps "gripier"...if that's a word).

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
To actually detect movement, the magnet should activate at least 2 sensors in sequence, else nothing is supposed happen ---> is there an error in the programming? It is ossible with all the funny reports of directional problems, but the sensors might also be a bit too sensitive...

I'll reserve the rest of my comments and suggestions for when mine clears customs ;)

Hmm. Maby the magnet in the ring was over one sensor, and when sweeping it over the phone speaker, the speaker activates sensor 2?

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
TGWNN,

I received S/N XO53 today. What can I say? Well, most everything has been said already, and I will say more later. But, my first impression, after gingerly taking my time opening the most exciting package I have ever received, is that I feel like I got my money's worth and then some....and I haven't even put a battery in it yet!!! It's beautiful, just beautiful. Perfect in every way, not a blemish on it anywhere. You hit the nail on the head with the red and black color scheme. It's a gorgeous light and feels perfect in my hand. I think you are on to something with the detailed and impeccable packaging. It has some kind of effect on the mind. You can't help but smile while opening this package. Ok, enough talking for now. Got to admire some more and then fire it up! More impressions and feedback later. Thank You TGWNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Bayou

Jonnor

Newly Enlightened
There is an o-ring on the extendable tube, at the base which will keep water out.
Challenge is that it does tend to get eaten up by the threads if not well greased.

I have looked carefully on the extendable tube and there are no o-ring. I do however see a groove where I think It perhaps should have been? See picture.

image_zpscd957939.jpg

Then there is just the lock-out function left and you have a perfect light. And it seems like you are on top of that as well :)

Jonnor

Newly Enlightened
Oh, one more thing.

I know you plan on removing the small dots on the production version, but if you added the "missing one" on the ring and made them GITD it could actually work in my opinion.

Machinist Man

Newly Enlightened
I found the slip in the door today when I came home!!! Went and tried to pick up the package and It's being held hostage on the mail truck driving around. The P.O. said, I can't pick it up till tomorrow!

Calvin

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the slip in the door today when I came home!!! Went and tried to pick up the package and It's being held hostage on the mail truck driving around. The P.O. said, I can't pick it up till tomorrow!

Calvin

Time for some 007 maneuvers!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Calvin

Sounds like my story every single time I have something delivered at home, but with pickup at a small post office counter in a convenience store. At least these are open on the weekend. Used to be different, though, as they used to deliver it at a counter that was on the way back to the post office for the postman, so he'd unload the same day 99% of the time and I could pick up right away after getting my card from the mail box. Very convenient as I'd just get the mail and hop right back in the car and go for a small detour. Then again, this new counter is on the way home from work, so I just keep the card in the car for the work day and stop by for a rampage 5 clicks before getting home.

3 to 7 days left for me according to Canada Post tracking, likely ready on Tuesday for pickup at the counter.... sharpening the pocket knife right now (for opening the package quicker, of course!)

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today.. Impressions

1. Clean finish very precise
2. The tiny light feels like the nuclear core as you release it from the center of the bomb "Torpedo".
3. Quite a project of precision.. Not sure how you did it all without going bankrupt!
4. I was frustrated with the use of the 10250 battery as the modes are all over the place when using. I'm also not going to use them as my charger won't fit it.
5. I never could get AAA 1.5 volt cells to work... Nothing.. I tried the extendable 10250 body "cool!", as well as the 10440 body.... Nothing!
This is unfortunate because if my nuke runs out I have no backup if away from my spare.
6. However Using the the efest 350mah 10440 battery "not included" was a pleasure! .. All 4 modes went up and back down with consistently and ease. Mode 4 is bright!.. Not 500 lumens but quite possibly 380lm as the pamphlet reads... A nice warm beam.. It must be the 4000k 80cri... It's been a while ad I forgot what I ordered, but I like it! This is definitely the setup I will use!
7. Fins "or legs" are a bit sharp, if they bother me in my pocket I'll just dremmel them down and touch up with black Automotive touch up paint you can get at any Walmart.
8. All in all very cool... Emphasis on "cool" meaning a lot of the money spent went towards the Torpedo case and extra tube/batteries etc.
This is a great collectors piece and showoff toy.. I plan to actually use it though and carry it. I can't show it off sitting at home on a shelf!
9. I think the price could be win-win if the extras were dropped.
10. The thin spring in the 10440 body needs work...

Thx for the X series, I'm looking forward to the Zeus now!
Hopefully even more lumens and runtime before cut down with the bigger bezel and battery!

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guy,
Are there advantages to a magnetic switch over a fixed circuit type switch?

also if it is less than 360 degrees are you going to be able to start at high or low depending on the direction you turn from off?

Hi cnlson,

The advantages are extremely long life with zero to minimal wearing of mechanical parts.
In theory, this should be extremely accurate so I'm guessing its a design/logic issue causing it not to be at the moment.

<360 degrees,
Not sure yet :)
Depending on how a hard off is implemented, it would be possible.

Guy: yes! Sub-360 would be great on multiple levels (heh). Most importantly, hard off. Second, no longer any need for a direct-to-4 interface because it's just one full twist to get there. Third, a huge advantage of Torpedo's control ring over a twisty is that it allows one-handed operation. That's really important for a keychain light, because I'm almost always carrying stuff to or from the car -- laptop, groceries, dry cleaning, etc. But one-handed operation isn't really practical with four twists. Fourth, this would eliminate all time sensitivity from the UI. One thing that drives me nuts about my Fenix LD01 (a multi-mode twisty) is that to change modes, you have to get the interval between twists just right, and any partial contact can mess it up.

I guess what I really want is a 'volume knob', but with detents like the input selector knob on a preamp. That would be perfect.

Hi flashflood,

Something similar to the volume knob as you described it is what I originally had in mind.
The current rendition, was as close as it could come at this stage but having come this far, I think the volume knob is achievable, only a question of cost or more specifically, how many circuit renditions we have to go through to achieve the required level of accuracy given the restrictions of space.
As I've been learning, whilst some things look good on spec sheets, its near impossible to know what kind of electric noise/interference will come into play when everything is on the board so this means multiple iterations.
Fortunately, having changed my process in regards to the electrical design part of things, this is now a much faster process but that also means it literally EATs money at a much faster rate too. Almost as much as I can throw at it.

Assuming I had an unlimited supply, I'd work on multiple branches of the circuit at the same time, have them tested and then iterate and enhance the best one, reaching a photoshop perfect copy of the intended UI design in perhaps 3months.

One handed operation is definitely a big plus.
I would love to implement a button somewhere too.

I partially disagree with the sub 360 idea. What would the disadvantages be for full 360 rotation per light level (or 180). That way every level (or every other) has a detent. Will that perpetuate the problem we already have as opposed to building it more like the HF?

Hi Alex,
I guess the disadvantage of a full 360 per mode change is 4-5 rotations to reach high mode.
With a <360 version, if the ring has enough friction and possible detents to give tactile feedback, this effectively reduces the apparent sensitivity you might imagine of blasting past an intended mode with a loose ring and no detents.

Mine turned on by accident today. Dont think the ring moved. Sweep it past the speaker on my phone, and it turns on.

Hi jorn,

A speaker will work fine as a switch, as will my CoreTi :D

Torpedo-X Thoughts

I've taken a while to post my thoughts after having the light for a week.

Guy – You have done an amazing job with this product. My thoughts on the light appear to be along the lines of the other posts I am reading. I hope you can take my criticism as purely constructive as even though there appear to be more cons than pros in my list below I do feel that except for sorting out the UI the Torpedo X could to go production as it is.

Pros:

• Packaging – Amazing packaging. Likely the most impressive, unique and innovative that I have ever seen. It is obvious a lot of time went into the design. You've out done yourself – Bravo!
  • Flashlight Design
    • Top notch design. I like everything about the design of the light.
    • The red accents are perfect and really give the light a luxurious touch.
    • The small extension tube is perfect. I may likely use that as my primary tube regardless of battery size.
  • UI
    • The rotation is a great feature. It rotates just the right amount between level changes. Any quicker and you could skip levels a bit too easily.
  • Beam – The reflector and beam are perfect for the uses of a light this size.
  • Tint – I got the 4000K tint and I love it.
  • Level Spacing – Very nice selection on the level spacing although Level 2 could be a touch brighter.

Cons:

• Clip
    • The clip did not fit snug against the body of the light when clipped on. I resolved by pinching it a bit tighter with pliers.
    • When removing the clip it scratched the anodize on the smaller body.
  • UI
    • When you turn through a level you can't stop right after the level changes or else a turn in either direction will always go higher. You must turn through the level change about another 1/8 of a turn and then the reverse direction will change levels as expected. I found this required a bit too much thought to become intuitive over time.
    • Sometime the light will get stuck on High and neither direction will lower the level until after quite a few full turns. This seems to be an issue only on 10440 batteries.
    • The level switching on 10440 batteries seems to be a bit twitchy. Sometimes it will change two levels very quickly. On NiMH this doesn't appear to be as much of a problem.
  • Battery rattle in the larger tube. The inner diameter is a bit too wide and there is a rattle with both AAA Eneloops and 10440 eFest IMR.
  • PWM – I know that PWM is an acceptable way to alter the light levels and provides a more consistent tint but I found the level too low and a bit bothersome.
  • Control Knob – a little too loose for my liking. Some damping grease may improve the feel and smooth the action.
  • Torpedo fins – a little too sharp and pointy. Can the edges be rounded a bit to give a smoother feel in the hand?

Taking all of my thoughts into consideration I realize that some of them are just nit-picky things and changing everything in not possible. With that in mind the changes I would really like see are:

• UI - One-way rotation. Turn to the right to power on and raise levels. Turn to the left to lower the level. It would be cool if turning to the left it could go straight from OFF to High – similar to the HF line. That way the UI could immediately access Low or Hi. It would also remove some of the inconsistencies in the level switching.
  • PWM – Increase PWM to 1kHz minimum. I've got some drivers with 4-5kHz PWM and you can't even tell they use PWM.
  • Control Knob – Damping of the control knob to smooth it out and make it a little tighter. Also, putting some detents at the points where the dots align so you could feel a click or something tactile to know you've reached the right spot would be nice. This could also help prevent potential "hot pocket" issues.
  • Level Spacing – Level 2 could be a little brighter. The jump from Level 1 to 2 is a bit small and the jump from Level 2 to 3 is a touch too much. It took a bit before I saw the final specs in the manual and that there is a slight difference between NiMH and 10440. I like the larger jump on the 10440 cells but wish L1 were lower and L2 higher. On NiMH I like L1 and wish L2 was closer to 10 lumens.

Hi ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond,

Thanks for the ultra detailed feedback and suggestions ;)

PWM: yes, I consider that a must.
Mode Spacing: also a must. I was not happy with the current spacing but let it ride as I know it has to be fixable, and though its not where I wanted, its still ok enough to put into the field for testing ;)

UI/Control Ring: agree on these.
I've been working on some possible "click" or detent designs that I might print with my 3D printer as proof of concept first, and if they look good, hope to implement into the production version. A fixed OFF, then being able to swing either left or right as previously mention would be nice.
eg. Rotate right and go from m1 - m4
eg. Rotate left and go from m4 - m1

Clip: again, I do feel it needs some work still.

Appreciate all the positive feedback too, thank you :thumbsup:

Oh, one more thing.

I know you plan on removing the small dots on the production version, but if you added the "missing one" on the ring and made them GITD it could actually work in my opinion.
Thanks Jonnor,
I hope to replace them with soft clicks (that you can feel rather than hear).
I think the best tools, let you forget about them entirely so you can focus on the task at hand.
The GITD dots could look cool for sure, but its like having to look at a firearm to check settings when you have been caught by surprise. The time lag might kill you.
Something intuitive that needs zero thinking and zero eye interaction is still my target.

Calvin
Hi Calvin,

Hope its in your hands now (or very soon).

Time for some 007 maneuvers!
+1 :twothumbs

Sounds like my story every single time I have something delivered at home, but with pickup at a small post office counter in a convenience store. At least these are open on the weekend. Used to be different, though, as they used to deliver it at a counter that was on the way back to the post office for the postman, so he'd unload the same day 99% of the time and I could pick up right away after getting my card from the mail box. Very convenient as I'd just get the mail and hop right back in the car and go for a small detour. Then again, this new counter is on the way home from work, so I just keep the card in the car for the work day and stop by for a rampage 5 clicks before getting home.

3 to 7 days left for me according to Canada Post tracking, likely ready on Tuesday for pickup at the counter.... sharpening the pocket knife right now (for opening the package quicker, of course!)
Hi Cataract,
3-7 is quite a range....
My guess is hmmm... Tuesday :D

Got mine today.. Impressions

1. Clean finish very precise
2. The tiny light feels like the nuclear core as you release it from the center of the bomb "Torpedo".
3. Quite a project of precision.. Not sure how you did it all without going bankrupt!
4. I was frustrated with the use of the 10250 battery as the modes are all over the place when using. I'm also not going to use them as my charger won't fit it.
5. I never could get AAA 1.5 volt cells to work... Nothing.. I tried the extendable 10250 body "cool!", as well as the 10440 body.... Nothing!
This is unfortunate because if my nuke runs out I have no backup if away from my spare.
6. However Using the the efest 350mah 10440 battery "not included" was a pleasure! .. All 4 modes went up and back down with consistently and ease. Mode 4 is bright!.. Not 500 lumens but quite possibly 380lm as the pamphlet reads... A nice warm beam.. It must be the 4000k 80cri... It's been a while ad I forgot what I ordered, but I like it! This is definitely the setup I will use!
7. Fins "or legs" are a bit sharp, if they bother me in my pocket I'll just dremmel them down and touch up with black Automotive touch up paint you can get at any Walmart.
8. All in all very cool... Emphasis on "cool" meaning a lot of the money spent went towards the Torpedo case and extra tube/batteries etc.
This is a great collectors piece and showoff toy.. I plan to actually use it though and carry it. I can't show it off sitting at home on a shelf!
9. I think the price could be win-win if the extras were dropped.
10. The thin spring in the 10440 body needs work...

Thx for the X series, I'm looking forward to the Zeus now!
Hopefully even more lumens and runtime before cut down with the bigger bezel and battery!

Hi windstrings,

Thanks for the fast feedback and 10 point summary :D
Sorry about the AAA 1.5V
As it was very recent, I do remember testing yours before packing and it worked fine for me with a 1.5V lithium battery (as long as it did not get shuffled before it went into its box).
I am pleased it seems to be fine with the 10440.

I can double check also but from memory yours should be 5000K (#091??)

Re: all in all very cool ....
Thanks very much.

To be honest, only the case/batteries are factored into the price.
As mentioned, the Calendar, is a tribal thing and I've started posting them out, a few with every post office visit.
The other tag/chain was...is.... a commemorative kind of thing (not factored into the price) along the Torpedo journey to say thank you to every person who pre-ordered an X and for playing such an important role in its future (and in turn the future of MBI).

btw, sorry for the slow reply. hectic last few days.
Today we had a huge snow storm, the biggest/baddest for some 20yrs in this part of the woods.
Its only about 30~60cm but as we rarely ever get snow, its a pretty big deal with things mostly at a crawl today.

I might venture outside and see what I can melt :D

Hope to have an updated estimate next week on window 5 (thank you W5'ers for your patience).

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like these posts disappeared from multi-quote in my reply.....

Hi Cataract,
Originally that was the concept but its actually more the relative location to the sensor that matters.

At the moment, I'm thinking in the ideal circuit, the sensors would be at a right angle forming a V of sorts with a 90degree angle.
Imagine the bottom of the V is pointing away from the center of the circle, the open part pointing towards it.
Then as an enhancement, at the opposite side, inside the head, it would be brilliant if we could place a N/C reed switch and this would be the OFF position. So when the magnet is over the reed switch, the circuit would be broken and then there is zero parasitic drain.

Hi guy. Received S/N 068 the other day. Very nice. Thank you for the personal note :)

i read the list of fixes that you summarized from all the detailed user feedback. Incorporate those fixes and you've got a winner!

i only have one very modest suggestion. The control ring has the same "appearance and feel" as the rest of the flashlight. For me at least it would help me to operate the control ring more easily (especially in the dark) if the control ring had a different tactile feel (perhaps "gripier"...if that's a word).
Thanks so much sweet17,
Pleasure of course ;)
The grippier control ring, very doable :thumbsup:

TGWNN,

I received S/N XO53 today. What can I say? Well, most everything has been said already, and I will say more later. But, my first impression, after gingerly taking my time opening the most exciting package I have ever received, is that I feel like I got my money's worth and then some....and I haven't even put a battery in it yet!!! It's beautiful, just beautiful. Perfect in every way, not a blemish on it anywhere. You hit the nail on the head with the red and black color scheme. It's a gorgeous light and feels perfect in my hand. I think you are on to something with the detailed and impeccable packaging. It has some kind of effect on the mind. You can't help but smile while opening this package. Ok, enough talking for now. Got to admire some more and then fire it up! More impressions and feedback later. Thank You TGWNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Bayou
Hi Rebel,

Thanks so much. So very pleased to hear that :twothumbs
I hope once you put a battery in, it gets even better ;)

I have looked carefully on the extendable tube and there are no o-ring. I do however see a groove where I think It perhaps should have been? See picture.

image_zpscd957939.jpg

Then there is just the lock-out function left and you have a perfect light. And it seems like you are on top of that as well :)

Hi Jonnor,

Thanks so much for the photo.
There "should" have been an o-ring there so I think it must have been forgotten or snapped off somewhere along the way.
Sorry about that and I can post you some spares.

Tgwnn

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
That should actually work too but I wonder if the (+) end of the battery has enough of a nib on it to make contact?

Tgwnn

I played with the spring and it's centered, if I get it working I'll let you know.... Other than size, that's the only advantage to a AAA flashlight.

Looking ahead to,, Zeus production.
If the AAA can be this bright, I have high hopes for the Zeus with the larger bezel

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
I tried an Alkaline AAA, 10440, NiMH and a Baby Nuke and they all worked fine. :) I really like the fact that it doesn't "cut out" when changing levels. Just an instant increase in brightness from one level to the next. So far, my control ring works either way. I think a decrease in the spacing between modes would be more user friendly and the control ring has a little grittiness to it, but I only noticed it the first few times I used it. Maybe it's getting easier. Either way it's not bothersome to me. How do you get the clip off the end of the plastic tube? Just pull it or bend it to one side? Mine feels like it's really stuck to the tube. Also, has anyone compared the Torpedo to their HF-R? My little red HF-R seems to blow away the Torpedo. Maybe it's the tint? Btw, love the 4000K tint TGWNN! Thanks for choosing that one for me. I love both of my little MBI lights and can't ever see myself parting with either one!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm luvin people's reaction.. After first having them feel how light it is, It goes as such when I tell them "I won't shine it it your eyes but I want you to see if you can watch it"...
1. They stare at the bezel from an angle to the side.
2. I turn it to 1st level = cool!, nice!
3. I turn the 2nd level = oh Yea, that's nice!
4. I turn to 3 level = Wow! That's bright!... And most look away and they think I'm done as surely that's the brightest it can go, , I tell them to keep watching....
5. I go to 4th level = ouch!, oh man, that's crazy... The intensity is a total surprise and No one can keep looking as they go blind, and everyone asks... Where did you get that?... No one likes the price except the hunter sportsman type that realize what it takes to make such a light .... LOL!

Last edited:

maskman

Newly Enlightened
The X 67 Torpedo arrived today after U.S. Customs held it for 3 days. I felt fortunate they didn't detain it
longer. No, the package didn't appear to have been opened.

I can only reiterate the positive comments others have already made. The craftsmanship is exemplary
and your attention to detail is much appreciated. #67 accepts 1.5V AAA and 10440 along with some
occasional quirkiness as I fully expected. No joy using 10250's though. I hadn't tried the spacer magnet
yet so I decided to give that a try. Upon removing the head I noticed the 10250 wouldn't come out of
the body. To make a long story short I finally got the battery out at the expense of some of the blue
plastic insulation on the battery base. Apparently the spring tip caught under the insulation and screwed
itself on quite securely. I'm not complaining mind you. You asked for feedback so I am trying to oblige. I
should have quit while I was ahead, but I attached the spacer to the positive nub and reassembled only
to find there still wasn't any joy. It was within two seconds I started feeling the Torpedo body heating
up. I immediately started unscrewing the head as fast as I could. The body was not hot by the time the
body and head were separated, but both were very warm. In that short amount of time the battery
dropped from 4.2 volts to 3.28V. No apparent harm done to the Torpedo as it still functions with AAA's and
10440's. I'm done trying 10250's at least for tonight while I think this through. Tomorrow I'll try
removing the spring from the short body and bend the spring tip inward to prevent a recurrence of the
spring and battery insulation mating. So far I'm pleased with the purchase and fully expected a beta to
be just that. These are my initial observations and wanted to share them with you while they are still
fresh in my mind. I'll try to give an update if I discover something worthy of updating. Thanks again for
the cool X!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.