500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Some of us are not into clips... TGWNN is trying to take that into consideration.

The examples I quoted (L2FXT & Incendio) feature solid, sturdy clip designs that still allow the clip to be removed... Unlike the cheap, cheesy & flimsy clip-on clips.. TGWNN should take that into consideration.

MT_155

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i've just promoted myself from long term lurker to registered member so i can say (assuming this gets approved by a moderator)... fantastic project, i like the way you think!
I'll definately be ordering one, but more likely two depending on the final price.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
I've read through most of this thread with great interest. This looks like it could turn out to be something very special. However, it seems like the front post is a bit out of date. It was difficult to follow what the current design of the light is. Let me know if this is right...

for <65$ you get:
-A Cree XM-L T-5 4500K Neutral (possible options here) light engine with,
-A Hall-sensor powered magnetic water-proof ring interface where,
-Turning Counter-clockwise locks out (seemingly more than one type of off here...) and,
-Turning Clockwise (from off) an un-finalized distance (120 deg?) will bring you to Mode 1 which is 1 Lumen on all battery types
-Successive clockwise rotations of that distance bring you to modes 2 (10 lumens) 3 (100L) which are also the same for all
-One more rotation will put you on Mode 4 which is 200 Lumens on ~1.5v, 300 on 10280s, and 500 on 10440s.
-The light will auto-stepdown on both overheat and under-voltage
-You get 2 bodies, 1 is standard AAA size and ~82mm when attached while the other is 10280 size and ~64mm
-The shorter body can, via a twisting and locking mechanism, extend outward to accommodate AAAs in a pinch.
-There's at least one surprise you wont tell anyone yet
-Comes with a reversible clip

One thing I don't understand is if you still have to loosen the entire head to turn it on.

Anyway, needless to say, I will be buying at least one if this is all mostly true. Maybe 2 if I really like it.
Excellent, excellent work here.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the posts and feedback.
I will reply in more detail as usual (currently out&about) in a short while.

tgwnn

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I don't understand is if you still have to loosen the entire head to turn it on.

Anyway, needless to say, I will be buying at least one if this is all mostly true. Maybe 2 if I really like it.
Sir Lightalot,
The On, Off, and mode changing willbe done thru rotating the selector ring. The Electronic lockout is operated turning the ring past Off 360 degrees, The light will flash indicating Lockout Mode. ELO is disabled by rotating ring towards On 480 degrees to get to the first Low setting and disable the lockout. Not having to rotate head provides better water resistance.
GL
PS I am in for two as well :).

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm excited for the Torpedo, thank you! PLEASE consider a REAL proper pocket clip, not one of those flimsy clip-on clips... The best ones are the ones integrated to the body, like the L2FXT and more recently the excellent and affordable Lumapower Incendio. The Incendio proves a proper, strong clip can be had on an affordable light... Simple & sturdy, not cheap & flimsy.

Also, even more important to me would be the option for a neutral emitter, T5 or so... Thank you!!

Hi Chris,
Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:
As mentioned, am working on the clip.

There are a few things to consider though.
Because of the thin profile, its likely that the Torpedo will be inside a pocket as opposed to outside,
making it less susceptible to detaching from a clip than a larger light which is clipped and outside of the pocket.
Part of the reason for detachable (breakable) clips (especially in tactical lights) is operator safety, so that if you are running through a house on a mission, if your light gets snagged in something, with enough force, the clip is detached and you can move on without the need to pull out a knife or other to detach it.

That being said, I don't like shabby things be they clips or anything else.
The key requirements are that it's detachable, reversible, and requires no tools to add/remove.
So evaulating a few designs and will post an update on the outcome over the next few days.

Some of us are not into clips... TGWNN is trying to take that into consideration.

+1 for neutral, but high CRI neutral is even better for me! (just got some quarks high CRI and I'm definitely loving it!)
Yes. As always, taking everything into consideration ;)

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs
Thanks.

The Thrunite Scorpion features a very useful clip attachment system, maybe you can copy (or even improve) that, although it would probably be very hard to implement in such a small light.
Thanks for posting :) and yes I like this concept, though we dont have a detachable tail on the torpedo.

Exploring a similar ring kind of design that screws on/or is part of the clip but, it will mean we need to adjust the diameter at the tail/head end so the ring can slide over them. Also looking at some fastner arrangements for the clip itself, to lock it in place more firmly with no ring needed.

The examples I quoted (L2FXT & Incendio) feature solid, sturdy clip designs that still allow the clip to be removed... Unlike the cheap, cheesy & flimsy clip-on clips.. TGWNN should take that into consideration.
Everything has a use. But better is always better :D

tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in for one! Doc

Clip ~schmip ,I'm down for one at least! Checking my in box daily for updates:whistle:

Hi, put me down for two (2)! Thanks.

Hi, i've just promoted myself from long term lurker to registered member so i can say (assuming this gets approved by a moderator)... fantastic project, i like the way you think!
I'll definately be ordering one, but more likely two depending on the final price.

Thanks so much for posting and welcome to the thread,
Very much appreciated :twothumbs

tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read through most of this thread with great interest. This looks like it could turn out to be something very special. However, it seems like the front post is a bit out of date. It was difficult to follow what the current design of the light is. Let me know if this is right...

for <65$ you get:
-A Cree XM-L T-5 4500K Neutral (possible options here) light engine with,
-A Hall-sensor powered magnetic water-proof ring interface where,
-Turning Counter-clockwise locks out (seemingly more than one type of off here...) and,
-Turning Clockwise (from off) an un-finalized distance (120 deg?) will bring you to Mode 1 which is 1 Lumen on all battery types
-Successive clockwise rotations of that distance bring you to modes 2 (10 lumens) 3 (100L) which are also the same for all
-One more rotation will put you on Mode 4 which is 200 Lumens on ~1.5v, 300 on 10280s, and 500 on 10440s.
-The light will auto-stepdown on both overheat and under-voltage
-You get 2 bodies, 1 is standard AAA size and ~82mm when attached while the other is 10280 size and ~64mm
-The shorter body can, via a twisting and locking mechanism, extend outward to accommodate AAAs in a pinch.
-There's at least one surprise you wont tell anyone yet
-Comes with a reversible clip

Thanks so much for putting that great summary together. :twothumbs :twothumbs
I think its quite accurate (pending final testing of the driver etc)
I have thought about updating post 1 (photos etc) but this thread is kind of a story, of how all this began and all the changes along the way so I've tried to avoid changing the first post too much, to preserve history. Perhaps I could add a link to "the current specs" and post them somewhere for convenience.
Reading through a zillion posts if you just found this thread must be quite a task.

I'll put up a summary page with latest specs and info (probably on the MBI Torpedo project page) and place a link in post 1 over the weekend.

i think there is only 1 body. but it can extend to fit an AAA battery.
JJ
Thanks JJ.
At least for the CPF version, The 2 bodies (AAA & 10250/10280)will be included as standard :thumbsup:

Sir Lightalot,
The On, Off, and mode changing willbe done thru rotating the selector ring. The Electronic lockout is operated turning the ring past Off 360 degrees, The light will flash indicating Lockout Mode. ELO is disabled by rotating ring towards On 480 degrees to get to the first Low setting and disable the lockout. Not having to rotate head provides better water resistance.
GL
PS I am in for two as well :).
GL, As always thanks.
Turning ON from ELO, not sure if the final is 360/480 but after playing around with the selector ring, I think 360 is more than enough for ELO, though probably 360~480 depending on the position of the ring vs sensors when its off.

I did get an updated photo of the circuit board proto, and planning to post it in an update.
The basic design is there but we need to have some adjustments made to the board before mounting the components and the final shaping is completed..

Thanks
tgwnn

rlcrisp

Newly Enlightened
As an engineer I appreciate the design of this light - huge improvements in most areas, innovation, and listening to all the input from a bunch of really picky customers. I'll definitely be in for one of these.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
"I'll put up a summary page with latest specs and info (probably on the MBI Torpedo project page) and place a link in post 1 over the weekend."
Sounds good, will be waiting with baited breath.

michman

Newly Enlightened
I may have missed it in the 1200+ posts, but I was wondering what the expected run times are going to be. 200 lm out of a AAA must be awe inspiring!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an engineer I appreciate the design of this light - huge improvements in most areas, innovation, and listening to all the input from a bunch of really picky customers. I'll definitely be in for one of these.
Welcome & Thank you :)

"I'll put up a summary page with latest specs and info (probably on the MBI Torpedo project page) and place a link in post 1 over the weekend."
Sounds good, will be waiting with baited breath.
Summary is ready....(link below) ;)

I may have missed it in the 1200+ posts, but I was wondering what the expected run times are going to be. 200 lm out of a AAA must be awe inspiring!
Welcome :)
Its a little hard to say for certain until I can test the driver/heat efficiency combination, but guessing about 18minutes.
Hopefully I'm not too far off but I need to run some more battery tests, and then of course test with the driver when ready.

I put up a product manual with most of the specs,
but it is still very much a work in progress so please consider the information to be the latest summary in terms of spec target,
but understand it is still susceptible to change (based on testing, etc)

When anything changes and is confirmed, I will update it.

Here's the link: Torpedo Draft Manual (work in progress)

also, please note, in the manual, I have put standard AAA's for emergency use only,
but I think I can upgrade them to the "acceptable" list after final testing.
I'll add the link to post #1 by tomorrow :candle: (or tonight if I don't fall asleep) :D

Hoping to send out an update soonish, though I'm still waiting on the new proto's of the Core Ti,
so if they get here tomorrow, I'll do that update, and if they dont, I will work on the Torpedo update.

Either way its a win-win situation :twothumbs :D

As always, feedback is most welcome,
and thank you ALL for the continued support.

tgwnn :wave:

joe1512

Enlightened
Minor correction to your manual:

NiMh are 1.2 Volts not 1.5
Lithium primary AAAs are 1.8 volts I believe instead of 1.5, but once current-loaded they drop to 1.5.

And you aren't really gonna call it a "Tactical self-defense torpedo tail" are you? I mean, cmon...thats just ridiculous. :) It is there because it looks cool and that's good enough.

You also have it updated as of December 2, 2012 instead of 2011.

Otherwise looks good!!

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Lithium primaries are rated at 1.5 V, but their open-circuit voltage is higher, just like Li-Ions are rated at 3.7 V.

Last edited:

awoodby

Newly Enlightened
Wow. This light sounds too good to be true, is this some weird prank? :)

I want one NOW!!!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want one NOW!!!
No joke. It's a realtime exposure to being a flashaholic :). The desire, the addiction, the waiting, and finally the satisfaction when you have it in hand. I believe I am at the waiting phase :D.
GL

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minor correction to your manual:

NiMh are 1.2 Volts not 1.5
Lithium primary AAAs are 1.8 volts I believe instead of 1.5, but once current-loaded they drop to 1.5.

And you aren't really gonna call it a "Tactical self-defense torpedo tail" are you? I mean, cmon...thats just ridiculous. :) It is there because it looks cool and that's good enough.

You also have it updated as of December 2, 2012 instead of 2011.

Otherwise looks good!!
Thanks Joe :)

Appreciate you proof reading it.

For the lithium primaries, basing the nominal voltage on the data sheet here
and we just called those the 1.5V group internally but will update the numbers accordingly in the final version.

About the tail, maybe/maybe not, for now, was just whipping a draft manual together and please consider that I'm sharing the raw,
(not for public consumption) version with you so I may remove some sections altogether and some things may not be relevant.
That being said, if a kubotan keychain (which I used to own way back) can be considered a self defense tool, and I had my choice, I'd take the torpedo without flinching, as the tail (with very well defined fins) will put holes in the just about any modestly soft thing you spike with it.

And the date, very nice catch too! thanks.
I will update that :thumbsup:

Lithium primaries are rated at 1.5 V, but their open-curcuit voltage is higher, just like Li-Ions are rated at 3.7 V.
Thank you :)

I want one NOW!!!
I think we are over the "is this a prank" phase but you'll need to check with leon... ;)

No joke. It's a realtime exposure to being a flashaholic :). The desire, the addiction, the waiting, and finally the satisfaction when you have it in hand. I believe I am at the waiting phase :D.
GL
Thanks GL,
yes, all the laundry is in public, from start to working model, and I'm very very grateful for all the help here to get it cleaned up and production worthy :bow:

:crackup:
Who knows what TGWNN built in the torpedo tail... I expect some 007 gadgets :rock:

Its the ignition key for a missile :D

Thanks,
tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.