5mm LEDs - how blue does it get?

Skywise

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I have been on a bit of an LED kick recently, so figured I might find like minded addicts here. I'm a bit done with the high powered LEDs after playing around with some Crees and am currently mostly fascinated with the clean color LEDs produce.

I've obtained a 100 455nm blue LEDs but am wondering if there's any lower nm blue LEDs available, preferable in the 5mm packaging (tho I am also a bit curious about the cheap 5 die 100mA LEDs I've been seeing online). Any opinions? :D

My current "project" is a deep blue lit opaque acrylic cube for my desk (cubicle rat at a dot.com), so I am also wondering how I can diffuse 5mm LEDs most effectively.

:aaa:

-Sky

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, shorter nm than blue is so-called "royal blue", then violet, then several wavelengths of UV. I don't know what exact nm goes to which designation but all of these are available, down to some 250(?) nm or so UV leds reviewed on www.ledmuseum.org . Those last are pretty exotic though, most garden variety UV leds are something like 390nm.

paulr

Flashaholic
The ETG 5mm white leds used in the Arc and Peak "Snow" flashlights are pretty neutrally colored if that's what you're asking.

Skywise

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I've seen the old 430nm blue LEDsm but their spectrum is quite wide overall. Any idea if anything with a very narrow 430nm spectrum is available?

-Sky

Err.. Nevermind on the 430nm availability, Google answered that :)

Last edited:

Skywise

Newly Enlightened
I've never thought about that. Tried it with some old white 5mm LEDs I had floating around and it works quite well. Might get a small container of quartz sand, I bet shaking the LEDs in the sand beats even the sandpaper.

Honestly feeling a bit stupid now, I've always been hunting for 120 degrees and more LEDs for my project, when there's such an easy alternative. :crazy:

-Sky

paulr

Flashaholic
I bet sanding loses some light. Surefire incans use holographic diffusers which lose a lot less light than translucent filters. If you want to buy 100 leds at a time, http://store.nichia.com is the obvious place and there are wideangle ones available.

Skywise

Newly Enlightened
Just wish they has GS-K1s available in 100 packs for the US...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Kingbright # L7113NBC 450nm blue LEDs might be the shortest wavelength blue LEDs that are easily available; though as I understand there is a minimum purchase of 500 pieces from (I believe) Digi-Key.

l7113nbc.gif

This is a spectrographic analysis of one of these LEDs, showing that it has a relatively narrow spectral line halfwidth.

Skywise

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I found a supplier that claims a similar narrow spectrum around 450-455nm, will see how those work out.

almscot

Newly Enlightened
Hey Skywise,

What did you find for those 450nm-455nm LEDS?

Let us know.