6XML light bar

Illum

Flashaholic
3? my goodness... here I am wondering what lights [or guns] to sell to get one!

:broke: :)

BigToy302, when you say Wiring and housing entry are temporary till I come up with a cleaner approach does that mean there is the possibility of using panel mount DC connectors?

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

BigToy302, when you say Wiring and housing entry are temporary till I come up with a cleaner approach does that mean there is the possibility of using panel mount DC connectors?
They are nice looking, solidly built and from a CPF member
i would be paying more for an inferior bar from a local 4x4 shop anyway

Ned Kelly

Newly Enlightened
This has caught my attention. I would consider one of these units as well. Hope the project goes well and looking forward to hearing more technical details once design is finalized.

I wouldn't mind seeing the light at 'ride height' (slightly aimed down) if possible.

Last edited:

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened

There is no room for a panel mount. I am going to use SO cord and do a double oring cord grip with a retainer plate for housing entry.

This has caught my attention. I would consider one of these units as well. Hope the project goes well and looking forward to hearing more technical details once design is finalized.

I wouldn't mind seeing the light at 'ride height' (slightly aimed down) if possible.

Technical specs are final. Just need no make a few tweaks to the lens cover and wiring entry. I should have first batch of boards coming in any day. I am hoping to start production by the end of August and have units ready about a month later.

The last picture I posted was "at ride height and slightly aimed down."

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
$300 bucks and I am a buyer, especially for how small it is. just putting this out there for the future rigid led changed over to gore-tex gasket or something to let moisture out from the lens. I know this is a problem at least with my duallys. keep up the good work!

Last edited:

CyberCT

Enlightened
Hmm this looks interesting. I have a Goal Zero 350watt Battery and could take this night fishing for a few hours on the boardwalk easily. Are you going to have an adapter available to work in a cigarette lighter, or a standard 120v socket?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm this looks interesting. I have a Goal Zero 350watt Battery and could take this night fishing for a few hours on the boardwalk easily. Are you going to have an adapter available to work in a cigarette lighter, or a standard 120v socket?

it wouldnt be too hard to make a cigarette lighter adapter - its just a matter of connecting up the polarity correctly.

building a 120v adapter will require an 120-12v adapter that will supply the right current - as its a pretty high current you will need a big beefy and expensive supply (better to just use a 12v battery)

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
it wouldnt be too hard to make a cigarette lighter adapter - its just a matter of connecting up the polarity correctly.

building a 120v adapter will require an 120-12v adapter that will supply the right current - as its a pretty high current you will need a big beefy and expensive supply (better to just use a 12v battery)

An open frame switcher capable of 60W at 12V shouldn't be that expensive... is the built-in converter more efficient on 12V or 24V? TDK makes a line of open frame 75W SMPS for about $24+shipping from Mouser

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
An open frame switcher capable of 60W at 12V shouldn't be that expensive... is the built-in converter more efficient on 12V or 24V? TDK makes a line of open frame 75W SMPS for about $24+shipping from Mouser

I think it is the most efficient around 15 volts. 24 volts is the absolute max.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd prefer an enclosed power supply if I was going to be using it in public. Digikey stocks several 12 and 15V 60W supplies for around $30. Mouser has a 12V one for $26, and a 15V one for $33.

Dell has sold millions of laptops with 19.5V 90W supplies. They should be easy to come by (I have three, and only one laptop!) A quick search shows they start at $9.00 on fleabay, with free shipping.

haribante

Newly Enlightened
This looks awesome. Any consideration for anodizing, or supplying them unassembled so I could anodize a few myself? In for a few!

Edit: never mind! missed the "production units will be anodized black" part.

FYI - if anyone is interested, I can provide custom laser engraving for these. I have both CO2 and Fiber laser engraving machines with some extra production time available!

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd prefer an enclosed power supply if I was going to be using it in public. Digikey stocks several 12 and 15V 60W supplies for around $30. Mouser has a 12V one for $26, and a 15V one for $33.

Dell has sold millions of laptops with 19.5V 90W supplies. They should be easy to come by (I have three, and only one laptop!) A quick search shows they start at $9.00 on fleabay, with free shipping.
Oops - I thought high wattage - they are only 60w - so would run fine on the dell power supply.
i use a rather expensive regulated 80w ([email protected]) power supply I acquired from my father for my 12v needs, I wasn't thinking about other ways of getting a "near enough" voltage cheaply.

Jemsquash

Newly Enlightened
These lights look v. v. v. good! I really like the idea of user changeable optics. It means that if I've bought with the wrong optics I can still adjust them accordingly. e.g. a mix of throw vs spread etc or more suitable optics may become available later...

Is this one of your intents of user replaceable optics?

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
These lights look v. v. v. good! I really like the idea of user changeable optics. It means that if I've bought with the wrong optics I can still adjust them accordingly. e.g. a mix of throw vs spread etc or more suitable optics may become available later...

Is this one of your intents of user replaceable optics?

Yes that is the intent.

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
Circuit boards are in hand, leds and components are ordered. I am hoping to have these ready in 4-6 weeks.

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
Excellent! how many are you making in the first run? I'm interested in several for sure.

165. That is close to a whole reel of leds (1000). That is the only way to get the price down. High up front cost but that keeps my cost down on the lights therefore keeping the cost to the consumer down. I am going to run 50 housing the first batch.

CamoNinja

Enlightened
165. That is close to a whole reel of leds (1000). That is the only way to get the price down. High up front cost but that keeps my cost down on the lights therefore keeping the cost to the consumer down. I am going to run 50 housing the first batch.

Awesome

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
Aluminum, boards and components. I drove them up to the assemblers Yesterday. I should have them back in a week. Time to start machining on the housings.
0011280x853-7.jpg

Latest posts