6XML light bar

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
those are components are a sight for sore eyes. even if they are still not assembled.:)
watching and awaiting completion of your first batch.

count me in for a unit.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
have you decided on a cable entry and mount yet ? - how does it look ?

the Hellas/lightbar for the forester have been put off for a while, I'm going to get some of these first.
im thinking one would make a great worklight when attached to a butchered ryobi one+ 18v flashlight

Last edited:

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
I got the first batch of 165 boards back from assembly. They look great. First one tested good. Housing machining should start later this week.

0011280x853-9.jpg

haribante

Newly Enlightened
Pretty sweet looking! What are you doing the machining on? Just curious - run a machine shop myself and love to see what equipment other folks are running.

Have an ETA at this point?

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
Pretty sweet looking! What are you doing the machining on? Just curious - run a machine shop myself and love to see what equipment other folks are running.

Have an ETA at this point?

1986 Mori Seiki Mv35/40. Its old but runs well. Very low hours for its age. HP bought it new and I am the third owner.

I am hoping 2-3 weeks until completion.

haribante

Newly Enlightened
Wow.. good for you! The oldest piece of equipment we have is a 2007 Haas VF2-SS. Newest is a 2012 Mazak Quick Turn 200 MSY. Biggest workhorse is a 2008 Mazak HCN-4000 with a 12 pallet changer Palletech system.

good to hear that older equipment can run for a LONG time if treated properly!

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
Wow.. good for you! The oldest piece of equipment we have is a 2007 Haas VF2-SS. Newest is a 2012 Mazak Quick Turn 200 MSY. Biggest workhorse is a 2008 Mazak HCN-4000 with a 12 pallet changer Palletech system.

good to hear that older equipment can run for a LONG time if treated properly!

Nice, I am going to run mine till it dies or becomes to slow. 472ipm rapid and 20 second tool changes suck. I want a 4 axis haas or maybe a Hurco.

kuksul08

Enlightened
This is very nice. I'm jealous of your electronics knowledge and machining resources. How will your light compare to the Rigid brand off-road light bars?

I'm working on a much smaller scale light setup for my supermoto. Have you worked out a way to make them street legal? I can only think of something like a shield to provide a cutoff.

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
This is very nice. I'm jealous of your electronics knowledge and machining resources. How will your light compare to the Rigid brand off-road light bars?

I'm working on a much smaller scale light setup for my supermoto. Have you worked out a way to make them street legal? I can only think of something like a shield to provide a cutoff.

They will be smaller, brighter, cheaper and better then all the competition. I absolutely love my light on my supermoto. At this point I am not trying to make them street legal. I think they would need a reflector and proper shielding. Truck-lite is the only one I know of that is street legal.

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
Any pictures of the recent progress? :)

I will get some this week. I am machining revB now. It is looking good. After I prove it and the cnc programs out I will start production this week. They will then be sent to anodize and laser etch.

kuksul08

Enlightened
How are you going to do the cable entry? I have found it difficult to seal it properly with 3 wires separate like that.

Also, do you find the 26mm give enough throw? I've used some 21mm optics that were too floody for high speed use. Did you try some 35mm optics?

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
How are you going to do the cable entry? I have found it difficult to seal it properly with 3 wires separate like that.

Also, do you find the 26mm give enough throw? I've used some 21mm optics that were too floody for high speed use. Did you try some 35mm optics?

Wiring issue is solved. I will gets pics later tonight. At 60mph you are still not outrunning the throw. I would like more but for most applications these are fine. High speed desert guys still use HID's for a reason. I will explore using reflectors at a later date to build a light that throws. Maybe when/if the xml2's come out. I dont think any off the shelf reflectors will work with housing. I will probably have to design a new housing and board for bigger reflectors. Maybe 35-40mm size reflectors. Baja Designs just released the onX 4 xml with reflectors that they claim throws as far as their HID's. So it is doable. I like using off the shelf parst though. It keeps Engineering and R&D cost down.

Bigtoy302

Newly Enlightened
Here is the final design. Production will start in the morning. Finished units will be anodized black and be laser engraved on top. The light has a dull finish because I bead blasted it for a nice uniform finish. It will look good under the anodize.

002800x533.jpg

003800x533.jpg

001800x533.jpg

005800x533.jpg