742 Torch Lumens! Most beautiful runtime curve. NEOFAB Legion II MC-E review added

Status
Not open for further replies.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEOFAB Legion II OP/runtime/more pics UPDATED.

22 hours is cool but imagine you're stuck on a deserted island or some other crap.You're not gonna get rescued in 22 hours or a couple of days more than likely

Fooboy

Enlightened
Re: 742 Torch Lumens! NEOFAB Legion II UPDATED.

750 torch lumens ...

So to the human eye it looks twice as bright as a 125 lumen flashlight.

neoseikan

Enlightened

Hi. People. Quite happy to see so many of you distribute your advices.
I'd like to explain for the levels setting.

1- Our goal: Top efficiency; Top regulation; Top Robustness.
2- Our trade off: More levels. Because we can not get a satisfying efficiency at lower levels. If we added 50mA, the efficiency will become less than 50%. It's unacceptable. And the driver will loss its robustness.
3- Maybe we can produce a driver, which is stronger than L2's, and still has a low low level, It will cost more room and money. We will try it in future.

Thanks.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Long runtime is extremely valued in lights during emergencies. Super bright lights that last one hour become useless.

Yeah tell that to the many Surefire high output incans that run less than an hour. I can't even grasp the notion that super brightness for 1 hour is useless. That statement only makes sense in the case of an emergency, but I wouldn't necessarily consider the Legion II to be used mainly for emergency purposes.

Having a number of levels doesn't have to be painful. My hotwire regulator has about 100 levels, and all you have to deal with is up and down, so you don't really care how many levels there actually are.

While I don't mind a few levels, there is a point where it becomes too much and unecessary in my opinion. I think the setup this flashlight has is good, though I do think 100 lumens for the absolute lowest mode is too bright. To me, Luxeon I level performance would be perfect for the lowest level.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not saying this light should be this or that, my point was that it's good to HAVE, just in case. Not that you should focus on this, pick this light for emergency or whatever. Just have the option, IN CASE

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys the talk about this light for emergency use is fine,but really it would never be practicable to rely on the L2 only.My advice is to always have at least two lights"more would be advisable" ready to go,

one able to give full on light when the need arises and one EDC sized light with a very low,low like S2,Novatac Ra clicky or sufefire titan which I might add will run for days or maybe weeks if used sparingly on the lowest setting.

This would keep the L2 for it's purpose lots of lumens when needed and used on max for short bursts should get you through at least a couple of weeks IMO.

(Remember! always carry a back up or two) :twothumbs

Last edited:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why do people keep having difficulties grasping the fact that HIGHER DYNAMIC RANGE = LOWER EFFICIENCY?

The higher the difference between the highest and lowest level is, the less efficient the driver will be. That's just the way things work, folks. You can't have the cake and eat it too. It's either-or.

I'd bet there'd be an equal amount of people whining how inefficient the light is if it were the other way around - i.e. if the light did 1 lumen to 750 lumens. Just look at the Arc6 threads.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

Not to go too far off topic, but those lights out there that specialize in Infinite brightness levels, would they fall under the same category?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally am surprised at how many people here on this forum are looking at a high end light like this and contemplating how useful it would be if it was the only light they owned. How many people are going to choose one of these 30 high end premium collectors edition lights as a first and only flashlight? None of you actually have no other lights to choose from. I wonder why this light is not allowed to be a specialized unique piece instead of having to be all things to all people? I prefer to have a number of lights that cover different tasks, I don't use a flat head screwdriver to loosen my lug nuts. I like to be able to choose the proper tool for the specific task at hand. Each of my lights has their own specific area of expertise. If I could afford this light it would not be taking the place of my Coast LED Lenser dual output red 5mm for night time treks to the thermostat. Even if it did have a half lumen low mode.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with orcinus and AardvarkSagus 100% and another reason this light would not be my first choice when trekking to the bathroom at night,imagine dropping the L2 on your bare little toes :eek: ouch!!

No thanks!I have smaller and lighter ones for that task,and I will still walk the next day should I have a dropping accident :laughing:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic

Why do people keep having difficulties grasping the fact that HIGHER DYNAMIC RANGE = LOWER EFFICIENCY?

The higher the difference between the highest and lowest level is, the less efficient the driver will be. That's just the way things work, folks. You can't have the cake and eat it too. It's either-or.

I do not understand that. The current consumption of the circuit may give a low efficiency at low level, but the efficiency at the high levels does not have to be effected, at least not in any significant way.

wbp

Enlightened

I agree with orcinus and AardvarkSagus 100% and another reason this light would not be my first choice when trekking to the bathroom at night,imagine dropping the L2 on your bare little toes :eek: ouch!!:laughing:

Ouch is right! Given the weight and the bezel, you're likely to lose a toe!:eeksign:

concept0

Enlightened

Probably because nobody has ever heard of such a concept... I've been reading CPF for a long time (didn't start posting till more recently) and I've never heard mention of this idea.

I'm not an EE, but I'm pretty good with math and physics and I can think of no reason why this would be universally true. I've seen efficient lights with a large dynamic range and (more commonly) inefficient lights with a small dynamic range.

Can you provide a scientific basis for this theory?

wbp

Enlightened

This light was designed to be efficient at high output, which is why there are 3 cells in series powering it. As you lower the drive current to the LED, the efficiency will go down, due to losses in the driver circuitry. Even a small amount of dissipation in the driver becomes more and more significant as the voltage across the driver increases. The math (and physics) are not very complicated here.

concept0

Enlightened

This light was designed to be efficient at high output, which is why there are 3 cells in series powering it. As you lower the drive current to the LED, the efficiency will go down, due to losses in the driver circuitry. Even a small amount of dissipation in the driver becomes more and more significant as the voltage across the driver increases. The math (and physics) are not very complicated here.

So a light that uses (for instance) a single 1.5v cell and boosts for high drive current would be efficient at low levels, but not higher levels, whereas a light that uses 3 li-ion cells and a buck circuit would be efficient at high levels, but not low?

Or am I misunderstanding?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey guys?
If it's so easy where are all the high powered MC-E/ P7 that have a 1 lumen or less low and ranges up to and beyond 500 lumens,I don't see any and I doubt you will see one any time soon :devil:

HKJ

Flashaholic

Hey guys?
If it's so easy where are all the high powered MC-E/ P7 that have a 1 lumen or less low and ranges up to and beyond 500 lumens,I don't see any and I doubt you will see one any time soon :devil:

It is easy enough to make, but the manufacturers do probably not believe we want it.
How easy it is to make will depend on the circuit used and it might increase the cost a little bit. Looking at energy consumption it might also be pointless to make it, because the control circuit might use more energy than the led at low power levels.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking at energy consumption it might also be pointless to make it, because the control circuit might use more energy than the led at low power levels.
Exactly! therefore it would be pointless at this time to add a 1 lumen level for the sake of efficiency IMHO :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd bet there'd be an equal amount of people whining how inefficient the light is if it were the other way around - i.e. if the light did 1 lumen to 750 lumens. Just look at the Arc6 threads.

Yes, in general I agree. But there's an incredibly simple solution to that... it's sad that manufacturers haven't figured it out yet.
:poke:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Legion II, the MCE light Pics&comp with M1X

What is the width of the head and the body and its length? Was it posted and i glossed right over it?

Status
Not open for further replies.