742 Torch Lumens! Most beautiful runtime curve. NEOFAB Legion II MC-E review added

Status
Not open for further replies.

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
Re: 742 Torch Lumens! NEOFAB Legion II UPDATED.

I think you could incorporate some battery management and allow the battery structure to switch between 3S for higher output to 3P for longer runtime. Be that a mechanical or solid state switch.

One thing about any switching circuit is that it will reduce efficiency whether its due to extra mosfet resistance (yes, however small its there) or holding current for a relay.

One thing that makes me wonder is why was PWM not employed for the lower brightness levels? Yeah, I know some people complain about flicker, but it would still be better than nothing.

And yes, I would have liked to have seen an all encompassing light - would have been great for outdoor trips when you want to minimize baggage.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing about any switching circuit is that it will reduce efficiency whether its due to extra mosfet resistance (yes, however small its there) or holding current for a relay.

One thing that makes me wonder is why was PWM not employed for the lower brightness levels? Yeah, I know some people complain about flicker, but it would still be better than nothing.

And yes, I would have liked to have seen an all encompassing light - would have been great for outdoor trips when you want to minimize baggage.

Because with PWM either you'd sacrifice efficiency, or you'd have to have both cc and PWM circuitry in the light.

The tailcap light sounds genius- I'm sure there's some way of incorporating a switch into the side of the tailcap if so desired. Heck, if there's space for an AAA and the circuit of an E01, you'd be sorted ;)

It'd actually be fairly easy to run a resistor and an LED in the tailcap running off 2 of the cells for ~1 lumen. The only problem with that is that you'd have uneven drain off li-ions...:sick2: Wiring to run off 3 would be tricky as well...

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened

honestly, its not THAT hard to carry an e01 on your person.

i should know, i do it all the time

wbp

Enlightened

There are so many choices for small flashlights that do this job well. If you're going to pack a 1.2 pound "monster" like this, are you really going to notice an LD01 or some other small light in your bag? I also like the idea of having a second light as a backup.

Given the wide range of preferences around here, I don't think there is any such thing as an "all encompassing" light! No matter what you put in it, someone will want something different. For example, to be "all encompassing" for me, it would have to have a 150 mw green laser, and an adjustable level red light for night vision.

neoseikan

Enlightened
One side of Legion II's driver.

L2_drivers_002_m-2.jpg

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Legion II, the MCE light Pics&comp with M1X

Stunning. Absolutely stunning. I'm not terribly fond of the mid-range donut but at distance and up close it seems to be gone. Interesting. Can't wait to see this one more.

Agreed, that is the only negative i can see with this light...it seems to be a problem with both the OP and SMO reflectors...maybe this would do better with more stippling or a shim?

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEOFAB Legion II, the powerful MC-E light &COMP with M1X, pic heavy!

It may also be just a case of altering the reflector shape a bit to eliminate
the donut.

Maybe the curvature of the parabola can be optimised without needing to
alter the head.

hire Don as a consultant...his reflectors are the best I've seen!

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dear Neoseikan and Kurapica;

I have a pretty good solution to all these bozos giving you hell about lower lows:

- Simply provide one of these for free with every purchase of a Legion II ==>>
keychain.jpg

Exactly. I like low lows on small lights, but its not necessary on a handheld 3x18650 light canon!

Patriot

Flashaholic

Exactly. I like low lows on small lights, but its not necessary on a handheld 3x18650 light canon!

Yes, exactly + 8 or whatever it's up to now. This isn't a pocket light and the low mode is plenty low for whatever you'd be using a beefy light for. I've been using the prototype around the house for a week now just to get and idea of what practical use is like and I have no complaints about the output levels. As a mater of fact I think they're next to perfect.

Vernon

Enlightened
Has anyone heard a firm date when the lights will ship. I've heard "May" a few times - does anyone know when in May?

9x23

Enlightened
Has anyone heard a firm date when the lights will ship. I've heard "May" a few times - does anyone know when in May?

Hello Vernon

Welcome to CPF! FYI here is a link to the official purchase thread in the Marketplace where we've been inquiring about the shipping status and availability. The deliveries have been delayed several times but Flavio @ BugOutGear appears to have received the first production premium version a few days ago. Hopefully we will see more lights soon.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=191371

9x23

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
Just a poor photographer's comparison shot :eek:

From left to right: Fenix TK40, Epsilon ED-P71, Epsilon ED-P72, Legion II
All on max.
Distance from wall: about 1m (3ft).

MiniLux

Status
Not open for further replies.