NeoFab Legion II - beamshots & run times

wbp

Enlightened
I have been doing some preliminary testing of NeoFab's new Legion II flashlight. This is not intended to be a full review.

The Legion II uses an MC-E LED, is powered by 3 18650 cells, and uses a new very efficient driver circuit. It is a fairly large flashlight, about 180 mm long and 53mm in diameter at the head. It weighs about 1.2 pounds with 3 18650 cells installed.

IMG_1596r.jpg

The light has a unique rotary switch, similar to the one on the Spartanian 2, but much improved. It has 5 preset levels, which I measured at 98, 157, 264, 456, and 742 lumens. The regulation is the best I have ever seen in any flashlight I have tested so far. The run time at level 5 on new AW 18650's is over 2 hours before the light shuts itself down:

L2B.run.AW.02mar09.cr2.jpg

The run time on AW IMR 18650's is somewhat shorter:

L2B.run.IMR.03mar09.cr2.jpg

Lastly, I took the Legion II out to a local sports field for some beamshots. The target trash can (55 gallon drum) is roughly 100 meters away. Camera (Canon XSI) was set to the same fixed exposure and white balance for all 3 shots.

barrel.a10.dbs.l2.text.r1.jpg

A lot of good engineering has gone into the design of this light. Many lights are overdriven to get high output, causing damage to the LED phosphor and/or damage to the cells. This light, with reasonable cooling, will run for a solid 2 hours putting out over 700 lumens, without any damage to either the LED or the cells. Then you can put 3 fresh cells in it and do it again. I took measurements of the spectra and output of the LED before and after my run time tests - there was no change.

During the run time tests the light was cooled only by a 100mm PC fan. I took IR temperature readings several times during the test. The highest reading was 84 F (28.8 C) at the LED end of the heatsink.

I like the switch and the choice of output levels. The UI on the test light is a preliminary version which is similar to the Spartanian 2; the final version of the UI has not been revealed yet...

/wbp

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1
thanks wbp oh! btw the L2 seems to be the one to carry,if your'e in the woods and spot a bear ;) great flood but it has throw as well,nothing is going to sneak up on you with the L2 in hand :)

[edit] I will also add at that distance the doughnut hole looks non-existent.:twothumbs

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed that there are a few choices for the driver's max output, which one is in the light you tested?

neoseikan

Enlightened
I noticed that there are a few choices for the driver's max output, which one is in the light you tested?

It's 2.9A.
BTW, higher current aren't recommended, I can not make sure when they will damage the LED.

steed77

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots. This was exactly what I was looking for.

Can't wait till mine makes it here. :popcorn::twothumbs

Winx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for pictures. Seems well spent $300. Actually almost the same in euros after VAT and customs duties.

neoseikan

Enlightened
Thanks for pictures. Seems well spent $300. Actually almost the same in euros after VAT and customs duties.

Really? I know if you buy in a local store, it will. But direct sending from me will cause so many fees?

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
Really? I know if you buy in a local store, it will. But direct sending from me will cause so many fees?

Here in Denmark you have to pay 25 % danish tax if the item comes outside Europe. And if the item cost more than ~185 USD/150 Euro then you must pay customs duty which I dont know the precise value of (electronic category).

So if the Legion II cost 300 USD then if will cost 300 USD + ~20 % customs duty + 25 % tax (after customs duty) = 450 USD.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Here in Denmark you have to pay 25 % danish tax if the item comes outside Europe. And if the item cost more than ~185 USD/150 Euro then you must pay customs duty which I dont know the precise value of (electronic category).

So if the Legion II cost 300 USD then if will cost 300 USD + ~20 % customs duty + 25 % tax (after customs duty) = 450 USD.

That is not correct.

Anything above $13 means we have to pay a handling fee ($25) and 25% VAT, when above the other limit (Might be $185, I have not checked), we also have to pay toll (For the full amount), this is usual in the 4% to 9% range for flashlights (Customs does not always put them in the same category).
The customs office does often open the package and looks for any receipts inside and uses that amount instead of the declare amount on the outside (At one time that saved my some money, the sender had declared to high value on the outside).

This means that we will have to pay about $130 in taxes when collecting the light at the post office.

But it looks like the L2 will be worth all the money :).

wbp

Enlightened
the L2 seems to be the one to carry,if your'e in the woods and spot a bear ;) great flood but it has throw as well,nothing is going to sneak up on you with the L2 in hand :)

If all else fails, you can use the other "throw" option... :D:crackup:

9x23

Enlightened
wbp,

Thanks for the advanced look at the light. Certainly functionality is an important quality of a successful product but this light just looks plain sexy! Embarrassingly I will admit that the look is what got my attention first, but when I saw the specs and considered the whole package that is what sold me. How about posting some more eye candy such as photos of the tailcap and head off of the body? Is that tailcap really a chunk of stainless? I am looking forward to EDC'ing that 1.2 lbs light for a few weeks just to get familiar with it!

9x23

Firehawk1227

Newly Enlightened
Can't wait to get mine! After Legion II and Eagletac's new nanolight, I hope I won't buy anymore :whistle:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow thats 700 lumens of good flood!

although i think it still goes to show you just cant beat single die emittors for throw..

Crenshaw