• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

85 CRI Peaks

manoloco

Enlightened
eala im copying you, im in for the same: Logan HIGH CRI narrow in SS (through Oveready as they ship internationally)

fyrstormer

Banned
CRI is not a direct measure of color rendering. It is a measure of how closely an LED gets to reproducing how well an incan renders color. The cooler you get, the harder CRI is to achieve. The best XPGs as high as 4300 are only 80 CRI. At 85, that drops to 3200K.
CRI is not hard to achieve at high color temperatures. There are 100% CRI definitions available for color temperatures as high as 40,000 Kelvins, which is the approximate color temperature of the evening sky facing away from the sunset. There may be 100% CRI definitions for even higher color temperatures, but as far as I know, above ~40,000K the changes are mostly in the ultraviolet spectrum so we can't really tell the difference with our eyes.

The reason there aren't any Hi-CRI LEDs with high color temperature is because LEDs are being developed primarily for area lighting, and nobody wants electric-blue light in their home. (at least, not enough people are willing to pay for it.) Technologically it's just as feasible as making Hi-CRI LEDs at low color temperatures, perhaps even more feasible since white LEDs naturally produce a lot of blue light.

Anyway...nice to see Peak keeping up with the times.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to buy a high-CRI head in an aluminum El Capitan. May I buy it with a level-8 non-QTC aluminum body from RMSK? Or are these available only for the new, QTC bodies?

manoloco

Enlightened
to do that you just need to take the QTC material out from the pill, reassemble the pill and put it all back (except the QTC material), it will work exactly as a non QTC body, just that the body is a little bit longer.

manoloco

Enlightened
Thanks Dan, i had it wrong, nice to know that QTC bodies dont miss out on anything as i dont see any reliability weakness in practical use compared to the non-QTC counterparts.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
How? Tweezers won't fit in the tube. How can I remove the pill without tearing or destroying it? What tool should I use?
to do that you just need to take the QTC material out from the pill, reassemble the pill and put it all back (except the QTC material), it will work exactly as a non QTC body, just that the body is a little bit longer.

manoloco

Enlightened
To take the pill out you have a few options:

1. take the head and battery out grip the body with one hand and tap the open side with your other hand palm, the pill should come out after a few moderate taps, the foam ring which is what holds it in place will still be inside because it makes more friction, you can take the foam ring out with a Q-tip

2. unscrew the keyring attachment or the momentary (if you are using the long body) and then with a Q-tip push the pill out.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Manoloco. That works for me.
Curt, now what? If I want a Peak with an 85 CRI emitter, should I place my order at RMSK or Overready and include a note to use that emitter? Or is it too early?

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
how do you take apart the pill in the eigers? I read the instructions but still couldnt figure it out. trying not to damage it.

gunga

Flashaholic
The foam ring only hold the QTC pill in for Logans, El Caps and larger lights. AAA sized eigers have an o-ring around the edge holding the pill in. I have not been able to get an eiger pill out of a pocket or lug body. I think some fine dental tools may work. It is not easy to disassemble.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that hard to take the pill out of a Vesuvius. I used a Japanese style toothpick (where one end is rounded off/blunt and the other is pointy) and pushed the blunt end onto the pill through the tailcap end. I also took apart a lead pencil (think Pentel) and using the slender innards(?) to push the pill out.

On the pill there are metal discs on both sides: one with a larger diameter and the other with a smaller diameter. When re-inserting the pill, just be sure to have the smaller metal disc facing up. Otherwise it will go straight to full output. This requires a bit of experimenting.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes, if you have a keychain body, you can insert a tool into the tail end, but with a pocket or lug body, you can only access from the head...

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right, dental tools will likely do the trick. Perhaps a modified paper clip might do the trick? I get the feeling one can coax the pill out with a long toothpick. Just trying to think of improvisational tools to not break the bank.

Latest posts