• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

85 CRI Peaks

fyrstormer

Banned
QTC bodies are the same length, just bored deeper inside.
The QTC Logan I have has a longer body than the non-QTC Logan I used to have. In addition, the new Logan heads are a bit longer than the old ones, so to use a McKinley head on the QTC Logan body I had to extend the anode contact by soldering a flat silver bead to it.

I can't say whether the QTC Eiger and QTC El Capitan bodies are similarly extended, because I have no older non-QTC lights to compare them to, but I do know my QTC Eiger body was too long to run on an AAA after I removed the QTC pill -- I ended up replacing the QTC material inside the pill with a solder blob and reinstalling the pill to turn it into a non-QTC light.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The foam ring only hold the QTC pill in for Logans, El Caps and larger lights. AAA sized eigers have an o-ring around the edge holding the pill in. I have not been able to get an eiger pill out of a pocket or lug body. I think some fine dental tools may work. It is not easy to disassemble.
I have a special pair of pliers from Garrett Wade Tools that were originally intended for working on ships-in-bottles. They are very useful for this sort of work.

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
I have given up trying to open the eiger qtc pill. ive damaged the plastic pretty badly. it can still go in the tube and work fine, its just got mark and dings everywhere. tried everthing i could think of and it just wont come apart :(

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still interested in a high CRI Logan. I have a neutral XP-G I'd like to send to Curt to have built into a Logan head with wide optic. Do I just send it in with a note of what I want done and pay when complete? Anyone know the process?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have given up trying to open the eiger qtc pill. ive damaged the plastic pretty badly. it can still go in the tube and work fine, its just got mark and dings everywhere. tried everthing i could think of and it just wont come apart :(

Same here. Never got to the point of damaging the plastic, but i gave up when no matter how much force I applied it didn't budge.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still interested in a high CRI Logan. I have a neutral XP-G I'd like to send to Curt to have built into a Logan head with wide optic. Do I just send it in with a note of what I want done and pay when complete? Anyone know the process?

I am anxiously awaiting a high cri Logan as well. I think I'm putting off my Logan purchase for now until this comes out.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Mainly interested in a Logan.

I would buy a Logan high CRI to complement my 17500 QTC Logans

Logan HIGH CRI narrow in SS

In for a Logan.

I'm in for a Logan High CRI SS.

I would buy a high cri logan.

I'm down for a Logan HIGH CRI narrow in SS

I'm interested in a logan and eiger.

Yes, but last I check there were still no pocket style Eigers with QTC.

I'd be in for a High CRI Eiger!

I am in for an eiger head in HAIII or SS.

2 AAA Eiger in SS with a QTC would be perfect!

i would love to get an Eiger 2xAAA penlight with a high CRI in a narrow beam!

Ready

manoloco

Enlightened

LOL, jeez Dan, i mean... really, as soon as i get some cash you jump out of nowhere with stuff like that! always the first days of the month, you and Curt are the devil! :D

Thanks for listening to the high CRI requests, i know the nichia 119 had a closer to neutral tint (which i prefer to warmer ones) and a higher CRI rating, but i prefer the compromises made in the XP-G ones as the beam will be better because of the optics, a higher output and still a high CRI, keeping the price the same as the regular XP-G head is the reason that permitted me to get not only the Logan head but also an Eiger in high CRI too.

Got the perfect excuse: my birthday is coming soon, PayPal sent!, and looking for overtime at the job.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal: This will be my first Peak flashlight, first experience with QTC, and first time ordering from ElectronGuru. Can't wait to try it out! :D

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
EEerkk. im trying to justify pre-ordering a 40DD and now you have these ready.. Christmas around the corner, trying to save money for that. Now i have this, the 40DD, and Skyrim to get. What kind of dark powers do you guys have?!?

at least i have a paycheck buffer between now and when i need to pre-order the 40DD... I was literally JUST about to pull the trigger on that one too. Hmm, new EDC set will be my brass 1xaaa eiger with mid optic, this ss Eiger penlight high-cri with narrow optic im about to order, and the 40DD once its released. Seems like a well balanced combo, if a bit costly. This is like, the most... i have ever spent in a short time on lights.

Erg, i also forgot about the stainless steel p60-clone host i ordered too. I think i may have to set my credit card aside for 6+ months after these.

edit: moshow: You should be happy with it :) Peak has become my favorite manufacturer. The QTC has gotton some mixed reviews, but all in all, its worth it. What model are you getting?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectronGuru, please remind us: Which optic is used in your Eigers: Narrow (8 degrees), Medium (15 degrees), or Wide (30 degrees)? Can you note this prominently on your Eiger page so no one is surprised?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
edit: moshow: You should be happy with it :) Peak has become my favorite manufacturer. The QTC has gotton some mixed reviews, but all in all, its worth it. What model are you getting?
To be honest, the few mixed reviews are what held me back initially. But I figured that I wouldn't know for sure until I tried, so here I am. :)

I ordered a Peak Logan with High CRI head, and aluminum body with momentary QTC.

manoloco

Enlightened
QTC can be a little jumpy from time to time, it is even in that state very useful, im eager to see how the material evolves, as well as the systems that use it.

Now that Peaks have QTC bodies that have more space inside maybe a 2 mode pill could be offered?, so you have the option of QTC and a 2 mode resistored (less efficient of course).

the 2 mode resistored could be for those who want exact operation all the time and dont mind some loss of efficiency to get that precision. i planned on modding a pill i have for that, lately i havent had time to go out and look for the parts which to be honest shouldnt be hard, some ultra small resistors a springy metal to put inside the pill and some solder all in an insulator material to help do a steady 2 mode should work with plenty of reliability, hardest part is to assemble that in small space manually with hobby tools, but i guess it should be workable.

The 2 modes with this would work exactly like an L1 with the twist on the head of course.

i think if Curt offered this 2 mode resistored pill it could be interesting for QTC models owners.

Last edited:

jonesy

Enlightened
Just ordered one, too! I'm pretty excited, as this is my first high CRI light. Got an al body with momentary switch. All I need is a snazzy pocket clip for it now.... :whistle:

I take it 10440's are fine?

Thanks again for offering these!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
im trying to justify pre-ordering a 40DD and now you have these ready.. Christmas around the corner, trying to save money for that. Now i have this, the 40DD, and Skyrim to get. What kind of dark powers do you guys have?!?

The 10180 body appears close in size to the 40DD if you want to try the size/package with the head from a penlight.

I take it 10440's are fine?

Yes, with the same cautions as 10180 and 10280 cells.

Which optic is used in your Eigers: Narrow (8 degrees), Medium (15 degrees), or Wide (30 degrees)?

All OR Eigers ship with a narrow optic

Thank you Dan.
more to that question will there be clips for the Eiger?
and what optic are you using on the Logans High CRI?

We are planning clips for both Logans and Eigers. The Eiger clip will be smaller.

All OR Logans ship with a narrow optic

Last edited: