911 Report - Page 318

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way back when I was working in a library (think old building, 12 stores plus a 5 story bell tower on top of that, filled with a couple of million books -- basically 2 million pieces of dried wood) the alarms used to go off fairly regularly due to tests, drills, and actual emergencies. I had one of those new and very fancy little flashlights called a MiniMag that I had to use often. The building was a lightning magnet and was struck at least once a year. I once saw a thermal sensor head literally melted into a puddle by a lightning strike but it still had done its job and set off the alarm.

At any rate, during a storm there's a huge BOOM! followed by the fire alarm, and then darkness, and it happens just about as fast as it takes to read this. I knew exactly what was going on.

The floor I am on at the time is windowless and with very little emergency lighting. Since I am on the fire squad, I know the building well, know the response time and level of the fire department (several minutes but with a heck of a lot of trucks -- it's the number one rated fire response building in the city at the time), and know how purely stupid the people at the university are in any sort of trouble.

So, there's a bunch of about ten people staring at an emergency exit, but no one moves toward the door. They're just standing and staring. Then, like now, I am the only one with any sort of a flashlight. I tell them, "Just push the bar and go. There's an alarm on the door but that's OK." "Oh, no. We can't do that, can we?," they ask and still just stand there. After about three seconds I whack the bar and set off the door alarm (loud and really nasty sound), and say, "There, it works that way. The exit is two flights up. Go. We're wasting time." No one moves. OK, this is getting annoying, so I scream as loud and wild as I can, "YEEE HAW!!! GET ALONG LIL' DOGGIES!" and shove and we're finally moving.

There was a very, very small fire that was out before the fire department arrived, but in a "real" fire those people would have stayed there until they died because they could not think or move for themselves.

In another lightning strike in the same building I was in the front of the building keeping people from coming back in and waiting for the fire department to show up. A grad student walks in, and I tell him we're closed due to an emergency. "It's OK, I've got my office keys," he says. Huh? Did he really just say that? I tell him, "No, you don't understand, the building actually is on fire." He says, "Don't be an a**hole. I'm going upstairs to my office," and tries to walk past me. Now I'm pissed. I guess that by standing toe to toe with him and my nose about an inch away from his I got his attention. It finally really sinks in when Security and the fire department walk in about then. I told him, "No, you're not going in because I don't like the stink of burnt flesh, do not do identifications of charred corpses, and I hate ****in' paperwork." He still cusses us out. They had to threaten him with arrest to get the idiot to finally leave. The fireman thought my response to him was just about perfect, but wondered what would have happened if this genius had a few more people with him and there was a serious fire? "Sheep barbecue," I told them.

I'm definitely no hero, but I've got training and tools to use in a bad situation, and am willing to use them. But it would greatly peave me to find myself injured or killed trying to save the life or lives of complete idiots. The 911 Report reaffirmed somethings I already knew -- those with the tools and the training stand a better chance of surviving, but will probably get hurt or killed trying to save those who don't have a clue.

Here's how I sum up recommendations from the report on the attack on the WTC: Be prepared. Think. Be aware. Act. Be firm. Move. Be strong.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
C4LED said:
Glow tape was also placed in the stairwells as a result of one of the lessons from 1993.

And better lighting, and a whole BUNCH of improvements that probably saved a heck of a lot of lives that day

In 1993 the stairwells were full of smoke. I know someone who was in the building for both events...

If you live in NYC, there is a very good chance you know someone who was in the building for 9/11 (from what I've heard, close to 100%) and in fact, I've heard that the majority of the people in NYC were aquainted with at least one person who died that day. I had someone from my High School class, and an ex-coworker not make it out (the HS classmate I had not seen since HS, and the coworker in about a year) - My kid's Nanny's future F-I-L made it out by luck. The 1st plane few through his office window, but he was 30 floors below getting a cup of coffee

edit: Corrected 3 to 30 - typo

Last edited:

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
You all know the flashlight suggestion is just common sense. Not just for terrorist attacks, for many small emergency situations. As are a knife, where you can carry them. I live in Michigan. My vehicle has a blanket, shovel, flashlight and many other small items in it. I know most people don't do that. But it really is common sense. My oldest son just turned 16 and this will be his first winter. He's already gotten an earfull about having what he needs in there. He understands. He's a boy scout, almost Eagle. So I don't have to ask him twice about that motto I've heard somewhere before,,, Be ????

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, but common sense, and likewise common courtesy, do not seem to be too common, do they? How many (few?) people do each of us know that could have stood a chance of saving themselves or others at the WTC if they had been there?

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
On this subject, do you think that there was an increase in flashaholicism since 9/11? To me the idea of EDCing a flashlight is about having at least some possibility of control of my destiny, in a chaotic and threatening environment, both on that day and in anticipation of future days like it.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do the escape chutes slow down the people inside it? If not, then you'd either be shot out of the end like a cannon or splatter yourself on the ground not much slower than if you'd jumped off the building from 100 floors up.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Billson said:
How do the escape chutes slow down the people inside it? If not, then you'd either be shot out of the end like a cannon or splatter yourself on the ground not much slower than if you'd jumped off the building from 100 floors up.

friction of chute material on body slows descent.

..sure glad the Ingstrom chute company thought of that splatter possibility ahead of time.

Too bad my friend Cathy didn't have one that morning on the 84th floor of the WTC...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jerimoth said:
On this subject, do you think that there was an increase in flashaholicism since 9/11? To me the idea of EDCing a flashlight is about having at least some possibility of control of my destiny, in a chaotic and threatening environment, both on that day and in anticipation of future days like it.
I doubt it. It's sad. There always seem to be a few who may learn something from the misfortune of others -- but the rest will only learn the hardest possible way -- by their own experience.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
It completely amazes me that people who work above the First floor don't have/haven't even thought about an egress plan.

If you can't get out, it doesn't matter what tools you have with you, they might as well be cotton candy!

You HAVE to have more than one way out.

There are 3 entrances into my office suite on the second floor. I know how many steps it is to each of them in the dark. (Try it, your steps are smaller and it takes more of them when it is dark!) Once a month, I come in late and walk the exit routes from my office to the external hallways, then through them to the fire exits on each end of the building. Those hallways have emergency lighting and windows, but the stairwells are without windows. I check and make mental notes of new furniture in my office as well as the hallways. (It's a medical building, with places for weak or sick people to stop and sit to catch their breath.)

Not knowing your options MAY get you killed, and while I am nowhere close to Sub Umbras level, I'm slowly picking his brain and trying!

I am not one of those survivalist types by nature, but I am trying to constantly be aware of my surroundings.

I always have a minimum of 3 lights in my office, and one on my person, but I want to be prepared for the worst case.

Bill