Family lost in corn maze calls 911 for help

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
have they tought of putting one person on other's person shoulders, and look over the corn to see where the end of the maze is?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I was thinking too! I've never been in a corn maze though so I didn't know if there was something in the setup that would prevent just walking through the rows to the edge of the field.

i went to a smaller one and yes you could just cut through the maze. pick a side and walk straight through. i remember being able to tell which direction i was facing because the street noise was on the south side.

nbp

Flashaholic
I think I'd rather spend the night in the maze than be the doofus on the news who called 911 from a cornfield. ;)

I agree, walk between the rows to find the way out. Or, here's a novel idea, shout for help. If they were 25 ft from the edge, someone would have heard them, and walked in and gotten them.

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
Maybe they should stick with the easier mazes.

CornMaze-1.jpg

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really feel sorry for them. A clear case of people being dis-empowered to sorting their own lives out. They were lost and panic-stricken, the young baby was probably crying a lot, it was dark and they had no flashlight, they were afraid of being in trouble if they broke through the rows, even though that would have seemed sensible. They were entirely pre-conditioned to seeking help from authority. I.E. taking no responsibility for themselves.

I think they probably need more than a torch.

Personally, I blame society and all its weevils.:whistle:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I really feel sorry for them. A clear case of people being dis-empowered to sorting their own lives out. They were lost and panic-stricken, the young baby was probably crying a lot, it was dark and they had no flashlight, they were afraid of being in trouble if they broke through the rows, even though that would have seemed sensible. They were entirely pre-conditioned to seeking help from authority. I.E. taking no responsibility for themselves.

I think they probably need more than a torch.

Personally, I blame society and all its weevils.:whistle:

I agree with this to a large extent. People are afraid to make decisions for themselves, afraid of thinking out of the box. I would've had no hesitation to break the rules and cut through the rows and head directly for the street, following the sound of traffic. I wish he could've taken the situation into his own hands and done the same.

But then I wasn't in his shoes and can't speak to his immediate circumstances.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Does anyone know the guaranteed way to get through a maze every time? Put your right hand on the wall and don't take it off... keep walking with your hand on the wall. You'll find the exit every time... no problem! :grin2:

Or, if lost, keep going left. These types of mazes are specifically constructed so that lost folks can find their way out if they just keep going left. Always take the left path to quickly exit the maze.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man this sounds like a sitcom setup.

"It's after dark, we've got no flashlight, and we're lost in this corn maze!"

"Don't worry, I brought this flare gun just in case of an emergency like this"

"Good thinking!"

**Pow, flare arcs high into the sky, floats lazily for a few moments, then falls back into the dry corn maze, setting it on fire**

"Now what?"

"Well, at least we don't have to worry about freezing to death!"