A "copy" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "person who holds the patent and copyright of JETBeam flashlight" represents JETBeam in the context of Design rights.

Of course anyone trying to make an excuse can try to argue about semantics but I think the Niteye declaration is pretty clear.

But that would imply that the offending organization is making a declaration that it was authorized by the someone who doesn't own the rights. There's no merit to it. I think Niteye made an incorrect statement, which doesn't surprise me given that it's a chinese company and the intended meaning was lost in translation.

nbp

Flashaholic
Not to leave the topic of Dave's designs, but since we have Sysmax here, I'd like to know.

Nitecore may have paid Don for his PD design, but what about the Nitecore/Jetbeam Ti pocket clip that looks EXACTLY like his clip and their clicky that looks EXACTLY like a McClicky switch? Was he paid for those designs?

I hope so, as I am really getting sick of these ripoffs where CPF's brilliant minds are not compensated or credited for their work. :scowl:

fyrstormer

Banned
I also strongly doubt that Sysmax Industries would so publicly and openly post stating that they are not associated with them in any way if in fact they were.
It does seem risky to make a declaration like this on CPF if it isn't true, because the internet is very good at finding the truth when it wants to.

It seems to me that Sysmax is saying they don't own the patents to the designs they produce, and instead those patents are held by another entity which licenses them to Niteye as well. In that case, Sysmax would have no direct control over what Niteye produces, and Sysmax would not be directly responsible for any design theft perpetrated by the patent-holder. Just a thought.

So the question is: who owns the patents Jetbeam and Niteye use?

Last edited:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swear I saw a Jetbeam logo pasted in Niteye's corporate video introducing their range of flashlights? So if both companies are unrelated (other than being designed by the same person/team), surely Sysmax must be able to do something to clarify these confusion?

As a current owner of 4 SPYs myself, I can testify as to Data's quality of manufacturing and ingenuity of design. And while it is something that I will not get from a copycat like Niteye, their blatant disregard as to others craftsmanship and design ideas will mean any specially designed masterpiece such as SPY, will likely to cost the consumer more in the future as the process of patterning a specific design are not cheap!

A copycat will NEVER give me the same level of enjoyment, holds its value as well or even work & feel half as good as the original because it will never be as exclusive, nor will they be carefully crafted in lower numbers, corners will be cut everywhere and third-rated customer service can be expected.

This sad episode made me cherish my SPY even more and I looked forward to welcoming another new member of SPY to the family in the coming months...and I have a Tri-V2 firmly in sight :)

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great point. I'd love for someone from Sysmax to address that point. And I do have to tip my hat to Sysmax for at least participating in this thread. Waiting to see if Niteye will do the same.

Niteye does monitor these threads, but I doubt they have the guts to come clean and post something over here! Poor poor business judgement from their decision makers as they seems to be a pretty decent newcomer to the scene to having to stoop so low as to blatantly copy anothers work and pass on as their own!

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't help that a *Niteye dealer* (madecov) over at the CPFmarketplace made the following statement in his sales thread in the Dealer's Corner..

"Niteye is owned by Jetbeam."

If this ripoff is actually produced and sold (has it been???) then I will NEVER buy another Niteye product!!! As for the other companies mentioned in this thread, I'll wait until the dust settles before I decide to buy from them or not.

Niteye, this is soooooooooo NOT FREAKIN' COOL at all!!! :mad::mad::mad::fail::tsk::rant::whoopin::barf::wtf:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A copycat will NEVER give me the same level of enjoyment, holds its value as well or even work & feel half as good as the original because it will never be as exclusive, nor will they be carefully crafted in lower numbers, corners will be cut everywhere and third-rated customer service can be expected.

This sad episode made me cherish my SPY even more and I looked forward to welcoming another new member of SPY to the family in the coming months...and I have a Tri-V2 firmly in sight :)

Well said. +1

fyrstormer

Banned
As a current owner of 4 SPYs myself, I can testify as to Data's quality of manufacturing and ingenuity of design.

I wish I had money like you have, mate.

(looks at his collection of McGizmos) *cough* :whistle:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam v Niteye...not the same??? :thinking:

jetbeamtcr1vniteyeeye10.jpg

Phil Ament

Enlightened
It doesn't help that a *Niteye dealer* (madecov) over at the CPFmarketplace made the following statement in his sales thread in the Dealer's Corner..

"Niteye is owned by Jetbeam."

If this ripoff is actually produced and sold (has it been???) then I will NEVER buy another Niteye product!!! As for the other companies mentioned in this thread, I'll wait until the dust settles before I decide to buy from them or not.

Niteye, this is soooooooooo NOT FREAKIN' COOL at all!!! :mad::mad::mad::fail::tsk::rant::whoopin::barf::wtf:

Colonel, this is my point exactly! I am not trying to defend Niteye at all, it's just that I had thought that it was extremely premature for people to be stating that they are going to be boycotting Sysmax Industries/JETBeam/Nitecore products before they even had any concrete proof that they were the same company. I have actually just performed a trademark/patent registration search, and it shows that the person who holds the Niteye and JETBeam trademarks are one in the same person, however they are not the same person/company that is Sysmax Industries!

easilyled

Flashaholic
.... I have actually just performed a trademark/patent registration search, and it shows that the person who holds the Niteye and JETBeam trademarks are one in the same person, however they are not the same person/company that is Sysmax Industries!

I'm sure you're right, but it shows that the 2 companies are linked at least.

Then when you look at the video which clearly shows Niteye and Jetbeam advertised together, you see a dealer asserting that Niteye and Jetbeam are the same company (see post #112) and you see the similarities in design between the 2 products (see post #115), the association between the 2 companies is pretty hard to deny.

The circumstantial evidence seems pretty high to me that the 2 companies are very closely associated.

Status
Not open for further replies.