A Flashaholic's Night In

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You single young dudes and dudesses may not appreciate this, but a chance to batch it for a couple days is always kind of fun for someone who's been married since they were twenty. Even more fun for an old flashaholic. So, since the boss has left the roost and flown off to Houston for her niece's wedding, I have a rare opportunity to really exercise the flashlights. After returning from the airport I immediately began marshaling the troops, then off went the house lights. Lanterns, headlamps, and various flashlights with and without diffusers have already seen action. Here's where ceiling bounce and the ability to tailstand is quite useful. Some old lights like the Rexlight, Jetbeam C-LE, and Eddie Bauer(aka Coast) 4AA lantern are performing nicely. A few Energizer Accent Lanterns are scattered around and a couple Energizer 4AA Folding Lanterns are ready if needed. And, of course, the LF2XT, LF3XT, and QMini 123 are in my pockets. I suppose I could light up every room, but I've refrained from that.

As a final act of silliness the heat's been turned down (only to 60) and I broke out the sardines and beans for dinner. I am allowing myself a bit of AC power for CPF, the radio, a bit of TV, and the microwave.

Yes, I heard that. But I'm a harmless goofball.

Geoff

chaoss

Enlightened
Ha, enjoy it but after too long you will miss the missus to be sure :sssh:.
I know because i am there also (the spousal unit is working a double shift for two weeks).

As for the ceiling bounced, tailstandable lumens you speak of, they are by far my favorites (McGizmo SunDrop XR-U, LiteFlux LF3XT & my Bitz).

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Dude, I got one word for you.....[size=+3]STERNO!!!![/size]

Light, heat, and cooking for that can of beenie weenies and an after dinner marshmallow!
MMMM YUUUM! :party: :party: :party:

Have fun happy camper!! :clap:
:D Toons

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'd do the same, with minor differences, in your situation. I might turn off everything tonight and spread my lights around... I don't fell the need to do that too often since I can do it whenever I want.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
As a final act of silliness the heat's been turned down (only to 60)
I'll match your silliness and raise you one - when I have the house to myself for a few days, I like turning down the heat on the water heater to get a perfect match to my preferred shower temperature. This way I can just turn on only the hot water for a shower and I don't have to make any adjustments. :shrug:

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Great thread Geoff......it's the little things like that- sitting in a quite house with all the lights off, clicking and twisting without your wife and or kids laughing at you.....spending quality time with the DMM and navigating the clutter CPF style. My wife and kids had a shirt made at the mall for XMAS to express their feelings....."Flashlight Nerd" I wear it all the time with pride.:crackup:

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks Rage. Night 2 approaches. I can still see the sun, but it'll be down in just a few minutes. Might have dust off some of those "back of the drawer" lights tonight. Also thinking I'll throw some sardines and cheese on a big salad for dinner. Maybe microwave a couple onions with lots of butter and pepper.

Geoff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just a few observations after a couple nights playing in the dark. For walking about 5-10 lumens of ceiling bounce is plenty, even in a large room. And any light will do. If possible park them high enough you won't have to see the emitter. Lanterns need shades or something in front of them to cut the glare. Even a frosted globe (or application of Press 'n Seal) isn't sufficient to save your night vision if it's in your field of vision. Most useful for me have been the lights that I've glued magnets to the tail ends of (L0D Q4, Zebralight H50, QMini 123, and Maratac AAA). They hang off the hood above the stove for cooking, off the refrigerator, the light over the kitchen table, the table lamp, fixtures in the bathroom, just about anywhere there's a place to stick it and get light where you need it.

Got one more night to go. Might try wandering about with a headlamp, since there's no one else to irritate. As always, the trusty LF2XT is great for giving me just the amount of light I want with just a slight push.

Geoff