A look at AAA flashlights

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent job HKJ! This will be a good place to point folks who are wondering which AAA light they should get.

Southernlight

Enlightened
Wow, a great bunch to review together :popcorn:

such a well put together review, great writing and excellent images made this a pleasure to read.

Thank you.

Ble

Newly Enlightened
Great introduction to AAA lights.

But, you should correct this:
[SIZE=+3][/SIZE]These batteries exist in two version, a regular with high capacity (2500+ mAh) and a low discharge type (usual about 2000 mAh)
This info is from the AA batteries, not AAA.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you tell me how does the L2FX compare to the LD01 on max with nimh? and li-ion?

1000mah draw from a AAA is amazing...

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! I enjoyed seeing lights that seldom get a second look, like the Leathermans. Hopefully, when the LF2XT comes out in May, you will review and add that to your current selection of AAA lights.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Can you tell me how does the L2FX compare to the LD01 on max with nimh? and li-ion?

1000mah draw from a AAA is amazing...

I have not compared with NiMH in the LF2X, only with LiIon and there the LF2X has more output. This can also be seen on the beamshoots.

Hopefully, when the LF2XT comes out in May, you will review and add that to your current selection of AAA lights.

That was my plan.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great roundup of AAA lights. I noticed you have a current draw which is good, but is there a further run-time test for each planned for the future? I already own the LiteFlux LF2 so I am confident it is the run-time champ out of the bunch you have there, but it would be great to see a rudimentary run-time chart like Selfbuilt uses.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Great roundup of AAA lights. I noticed you have a current draw which is good, but is there a further run-time test for each planned for the future? I already own the LiteFlux LF2 so I am confident it is the run-time champ out of the bunch you have there, but it would be great to see a rudimentary run-time chart like Selfbuilt uses.

The short answer: NO.
There are a couple of reasons for that: Time, space, cost.
From my current measurements you can estimate which light has the longest runtime and on low LF2X will win, with a rather large margin (#2 uses 7 times as much power).

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW nice roundup/review. Straight to the point and no BS. Some of the best detailed pictures I've seen in a while.. This should be up there with the stickies indeed.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Thanks, makes me wanna pick up the LiteFlux LF2X/new upcoming version :sick2:

(You'll have to (pre)order one asap and add it to your list :naughty:)

lebox97

Enlightened
WOW - excellent job! :eek:

+1
stay with recommended/spec's to minimize concerns -
when people go outside of spec they assume responsibility for any :poof: damage done to the light, the cell, or themselves. :thumbsup:

I know, but I prefer to stay within specification for the lights.

Last edited:

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened
GREAT WORK HKJ! :popcorn:

Do you mind telling me the following - please, it's hard to tell from the beamshots given white-balance effects and uneven background etc.:

Amongst the outputs of the 5 or 3mm based lights, which is

• "whitest" (least blue/purple)?
  • smoothest (fewest artifacts)?
  • broadest / "floodiest"?
I'm especially intrigues by the new 5-die LEDs that PhotonFanatic has started using, but they don't appear to have a name!

Thanks a lot! :twothumbs

HKJ

Flashaholic
GREAT WORK HKJ! :popcorn:

Do you mind telling me the following - please, it's hard to tell from the beamshots given white-balance effects and uneven background etc.:

Amongst the outputs of the 5 or 3mm based lights, which is

• "whitest" (least blue/purple)?
  • smoothest (fewest artifacts)?
  • broadest / "floodiest"?
I'm especially intrigues by the new 5-die LEDs that PhotonFanatic has started using, but they don't appear to have a name!

Thanks a lot! :twothumbs

• "whitest" (least blue/purple)? Killer
  • smoothest (fewest artifacts)? Arc Ti
  • broadest / "floodiest"? Killer, but the wide flood is to weak, usable flood goes to Arc Ti

AlexLED

Enlightened
Yeah ! Great work, very usefull !

Especially for me, as AAA-lover. :)

I just miss the Fenix E0. ;)

I'd be happy to supply pics & data, if you want to add those. :)