a Man of Few Lights

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never collected anything. Well, except for stamps when I was 6 and it lasted a week.
I have tried keeping a pristine light in a drawer but it doesn't work for me, I have to use them.
All my lights have a purpose and get used all the time.
I use OR, Malkoff and HDS and none are Shelf Queens. I admit my Hound Dogs only get used in the Winter, then they get REALY used.

EDC: HDS 170N Clickie and Malkoff MD2, Triad Tail and DD XM-L2 Drop in

Bedside: MD2 Luminous Triad Tail M61 NIchia HiLO switch.

Back Door: Malkoff V5 Wildcat Luminous Triad Tail

Front Door: SF P2X DD XM-L2.

Brewery: Malkoff 16650 MDC Single Mode. 2x 18650 Malkoff Hound Dog Triad tails 1 x XM-L2 Hound Dog RPM Tail for walking over the fields at night.

Sound Desk: Malkoff Cr123 MDC Nichia 3 mode.

I'm just waiting for my OR Nichia Triple to arrive and fit in an MD2 then find a purpose for it.

I don't think I need any more, although another HDS 4000K would fit in nicely.
P
GREAT THREAD!

Always sort of wondered about your line up. That's top shelf equipment.

Forgive my ignorance, though. DD = dedomed?

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking DD meant direct drive, like the Oveready DD Turbohead.

Yep, like the OP I don't like collecting just for the heck of it. 8-12 light just about covers everything I need.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking DD meant direct drive, like the Oveready DD Turbohead.

I thought about that, too, but he said he's got a SF P2X, which I'm sure is regulated.

I could be content with fewer lights than I own, but it's easier to lend out lights when I know I've got extras.

I envy the OP! I kind of wish I was a 'man of few lights' but I'm always seeing something else I want. Realistically my collection, while probably small compared to some folks here, is far larger than I have any true need for. But I keep buying more! I try to use all of them but that's impractical given the number of them. But they generally do all get used at least occasionally.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm. Must be nice not having too many lights.

I should start selling some of my less-used lights.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm feeling a bit conspicuous about my growing number of lights, but they do all have legitimate purposes, even if the number I have is driven in part by a mix of convenience and curiosity. It's nice have a light at ready by the front door, another in the kitchen drawer, with my tools in the garage, in the computer desk, in each car, in the nightstands, etc.

I'm up to 8 now, I think, and the 9th is on the way. On the other hand, I've started at the low end and my whole collection amounts to roughly the same price as a Malkoff Hound Dog.

I can't justify many more this way before I have to concede and start calling it collecting.

Then again, maybe some of these lower priced lights could merit replacement with high reliability models...

Furthermore, "two is one and one is none." Therefore, I need twice as many lights as I currently have for redundancy in every application, and for the sake of avoiding common modes of failure, they should all be different, interesting makes and models, right?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then again, maybe some of these lower priced lights could merit replacement with high reliability models...
Furthermore, "two is one and one is none." Therefore, I need twice as many lights as I currently have for redundancy in every application, and for the sake of avoiding common modes of failure, they should all be different, interesting makes and models, right?

Plus you'll want spare parts. Oh, and lights that have user serviceable parts.

Give in to the dark side...or, uh, you know what I mean.:tinfoil:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about that, too, but he said he's got a SF P2X, which I'm sure is regulated.

I could be content with fewer lights than I own, but it's easier to lend out lights when I know I've got extras.

Yes, sorry DD for me is Direct Drive.
I know it's not trendy but I like it. No unexpected cutoffs and no electronics to break. Basically bombproof, and I can make them myself, which is fun.
The P2X is DD, I broke one messing about taking the head off and set about repairing it without the driver. It's actually quite stunning when allowed to do its own thing. The DD Malkoff is a stripped and rebuilt M61, works really well with a HiLo ring. I posted a couple of threads on the process a while ago.
The Direct Drive Malkoff is the one light I trust above all others, as there really is nothing to go wrong with it.
Completely minimalist, which is more or less the theme of this thread.
P

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I have 3 lights that cover all of my needs:
-AA for indoor and travel use, as well as when I'm outdoors without a lot of pocket space.
-18650. All purpose outdoor light.
-Headlamp.

I have those, as well as a 4xaa thrower. It's not strictly necessary but it might be my favourite light. All of my lights are neutral white, which I prefer over whiter light every time.

This doesn't cover off keeping extra lights around, such as in the car. But it's everything I need for day to day and more. Anything more and I'm just having to manage it.

If I were starting over I'd get:
-high cri aa
-compact xhp35 18650
-mega thrower just for fun.

realjoshfreeman

Newly Enlightened
I've found I also tend to converge on a small handful of good lights that cover a specific set of uses. I wound up on a foursevens kick a number of years ago, and they're largely still doing what I want. So...

EDC: foursevens Mini AA, with a 3.2V LiFePO4 cell for 2xAA output with a 1xAA body.

Bedside table: foursevens Quark Tactical low-voltage Warm White. I bought one of these for my wife, too, and have accumulated a couple of other bodies for them, so I can run 1x16650, 1xCR123/16350, 1xAA/14500, or 2xAA. I run mine 1x16650 mostly, and my wife runs hers 1xAA. She's not a flashaholic, so the smaller size and the no-need-to-think-about-it battery management with an Eneloop trumps output. Both of ours are usually programmed either moon/max or medium/max.

Outdoor: Surefire 6P host with a Malkoff M361N-LMH and a 16650.

Headlamp: Nitecore NU20CRI.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to believe that I too am a man of few lights.

All of lights are in my signature.

1) TH20 - 1AA headlamp which are the most versatile of any light allowing you to do actual illuminated "work" with both hands. Any other light other than a headlamp is really an inspection light.
2) TiS - 1AAA EDC, small enough that I EDC it in my normal routines for just in case.
3) TN4A - 4AA thrower and overall lumens heavyweight. This is more for bragging rights than anything. (could do without this easily)
4) Archer 1AV2 - 1AA my first LED light...compact, perfect for checking things out, but if I need to do any kind of work the headlamp comes out. I hardly use it as I have become accustomed to the AAA size to EDC.

5) Maglite 2D incandescent optimized with glass lens - my first professional grade flashlight...I like to leave it the way it is and can't get rid of it for nostalgic reasons. It gets used usually on St. Incan's day.
6) Dorcy penlite 2AAA - modded with CRI95 Yuji 5mm LED, my late night before bed do not disturb light, used everyday.
7) E01 and C01 used on keychains only.

...So 6-ish lights.

If I was starting over and going total minimalist: TH20, TiS or Archer.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very impressed about those who, like you WebHobbit, manage to hold the numbers of flashlights within reasonable proportions.
So many times I actually have made the attempt to limit my flashlight collection. But there are just too many good flashlights out there. But I am sure you are right: 5-6 high quality flashlights should fulfill the need for every purpose. But when we are talking about flashoholism it's not about need but about having fun.
I actually think that when we are talking about a flashlight addiction, it really is. But it's a very positive one. Except for the wallet of course. So many things I could have done for the money instead of getting such a huge flashlight collection. But it's my choice and I can't blame anyone else for it. Still I have not abandoned the thought to reduce my collection. If not of other reason that I am starting to have a problem with the storage of all of them. At this moment I am waiting for the delivery of a new order I placed today from Malkoff Devices...

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I am noticing is that it is getting harder to sell used lights without really discounting them heavily. It use to be that I'd buy a new light when on sale just to try out and if I wasn't that excited by it, I could get back close to what I paid for it. Now I'm having stuff not sell unless I discount beyond what I'm willing to do. So I'm finding that I'm gifting to friends and relatives more............and being a little more discrete with what I buy.

I think the newness of the LED flashlight isn't such a novelty technology anymore. People's need for an LED flashlight must be getting satiated!

herektir

Newly Enlightened
I also dont have too many flashlights in comparison to others on this forum, and those i have are generally for specific purposes with a few as backup stored away for just in case situations(lost, damaged etc) that can cover a few different purposes.

olight i3s on my keychain
Fenix e01 replaced by i3s, is now my battery vampire
4sevens quark xpgr5 aa/2aa general purpose light
fenix ld10 r5 backup stored away.
manker e02 angle aaa, backup stored away with its nichia 219c goodness.
l3l10 aa 219b high cri hunting tracking light
xintd v5 with xpg2 for throwing light out there to the edge of the horse field 250 to 300 yards away yards away though its kinda dim at 300 i can still see the horses on a moonless night.
fenix tk22 in storage as backup
solarforce l2p with m3 throwing head i was given i use for medical and fire calls though i dont like the nearly angry blue light so if something happens to it i wont mind a whole lot.

That makes three backup lights of three diferent battery types and six i use for specific purposes though I may have to get that certain special 10th light just becuase, maybe tn4a 4aa light.

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
I have a rule that I can only get something if there's a need for it. I'm trying to reduce what I do have too.

At present for work I use two.

On the belt: a Surefire 6P, bored for 18650, FS54 clicky tailcap, UCL, P60vn Quad XPL Neutral drop-in. 2300lm from memory.

In my bag: a Maglite ML300L 3D, borofloat lens, XHP50 NW and custom driver and heat sink, running on 26650s in a sleeve. Just shy of 3000lm, all focusable down into a tiny beam for long range spotting.

At home, I have a few.

Car light is a Maglite 4D with XPG-2 drop in.

Garage light is a Maglite ML300L 2D.

Bed-side light is a Maglite 4D with XPG-2 drop in.

Motorbike light is a Surefire G2XLE.

I am going to be selling the custom Maglite soon because it's too much for what I need. I'm forever worried I'll lose it or have it stolen, and at work I need a beater that I don't have to care about. As such, I'm going to be getting a Streamlight to replace that role. I'm also going to be returning the G2X LE to my belt-carry at work (which it used to be prior to the 6P) for the same reason and the 6P will become my EDC and every day light for when I'm not at work.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I've tried to have just a few lighst, but this resulted in me carrying too many around. Instead, I carry only a couple very small lights, but have larger lights close at hand in most locations.

EDC: Photon Freedom, SF-TitanA
Ultra-low HDS EDC HCRI xp-g2: Master bedroom, Camping
Headlamp/Handheld 6P/M361N and Minimus: 3 cars, boat, BOB, garage
Security Z2/M61N: upstairs, downstairs
Carry 1 AA Quark Neutral: toilet kit, computer bag, EDC briefcase, work office
Convenience AA Minimag w/UG2: stereo cabinet, pantry, bonus, guest, office, safe

It's a bunch, but it works for me.