a Man of Few Lights

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave away all my D-cell and C-cell based light as well as AAs.

I do have a small collection by CPF standards. Mostly Malkoffs Surefire clones.

I would be perfectly happy just using 2 lights for all purposes. A hound Dog for distance and some 6P with M61LL, or a 9P with M61LLL. they cover all possibilities that I encounter.

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
I also live on a farm, and light are tools. I also prefer USA made and not more that 10 usually.
My favorite is malkoff houndog and the hds 250 (I have a 325 but don't like it much). 2 very cool Varapower, a 2000 and a turbo2(made by a farmer). And for extreme situations I have a TM26 that will light very large areas.
I also have the md2 and widlcat by malkoff.
For a all night lighting situation the TM 26 works great, with all the runtime you need. For smaller events the HDS with the 18650 tube is great but the 250 lumen is better than the 325 version. I got the 325 rotary with the 18650 tube thinking it would be the ultimate light, but it is not, the 250 lumen is much better and not as expensive.

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ended up using an incand A2 with multimode Calypsoii led ring, 90% of the time. A 083b based mule and m43 with warm high cri oslon leds share the 10%.

Still enjoying my collection of 30+ lights, including some expensive ones, but not using anything else anymore

Last edited:

Tribull

Enlightened
House lights: a couple of 1xD raovacs, Surefire 9P with a Malkoff M61 drop in, and a 2xC cell mag light.
Car: Surefire 6P LED Defender.
Personal stash: MDC 2XAA neutral, 6P with M61NLL, and MDC 2XAA/VME head with a M31LLL 219B V2

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Work lights:

Malkoff Hound Dog
3D Maglite with Malkoff dropin
Tactical Impulse LE-1+
Led Lenser F1 (issued and mandatory to carry)

Home lights with specific purpose:

Wolf Eyes Pro Police (nightstand bright light)
2C Maglite (kept in the car)
Malkoff MDC SHO CR123 (EDC)

Lights that I have just kicking around:

3D and 4D Maglite LEDs
Surefire G2 (old work light from 2009)

At the moment I'm not sure how far I will take the plunge in buying more lights. I think lights are cool gadgets but at the same time all the different tints, lumens, beams and battery types/chargers is a bit daunting. Writing it down now I realise I still have ten lights which is probably nine more than the average person!

ven

Flashaholic
Surefire 6p with sportac triple nichia 219b
Surefire G2 with oveready 219b mule
Thrunite T10s
Emisar D1 xpl HI 5000k
Emisar D4 219c 5000k
DQG hobi(work keys)
Olight m20vn 219b
Nitecore LR30
Solarforce L2T stainless 219c 5700k
Solarforce P1 219b 5000k

Luckily thats just my works tool box/key chain lights..............man of many lights! Honestly, if i had say less than 10 it would not feel right. There are several lights in my "collection" that i could get by on their own. But i like variety, not only in form factor and fuel, but LED/UI also............

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note on the photon freedom - probably the best Photon ever, I love those things but I've done my own cost/ benefit analysis and decided that a minimalist single AAA powered light is almost as easy to carry, while offering more power, more options, and much easier refueling.
The flat and compact form factor of the Photons is lost on me due to the design flaw of a losing compromise...
namely the very limited battery capacity along with the battery being less common, as well as more expensive, and the unacceptably high parasitic drain by the always on circuit...

A lithium AAA twisty light will be ready to use in twenty years if you need it, the Photon will be dead in a year or so even without use.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I admire your discipline and your list of points, and your modus operandi makes a lot of sense,

I am, for better or worse, the opposite. I own hundreds of lights, ranging from $10 to over a thousand dollars, but whatever they cost, and no matter how modest, I love them all.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am the same way. Although I have owned many lights over the 25+ years I have been into lights, I see no point in owning more then one for each application and a backup for critical applications. I am not a collector and don't really understand collecting tools like flashlights really. If I am not using a light regularly, it gets given away, sold, or gifted. Same goes for when I get a newer model that fills the same roll as one I already have. Personally, I would rather spend money on more interesting things in life as apposed to having thousands tied up into flashlights I never use. They are just tools after all and I would rather have someone use them.

Keitho

Enlightened
Good thread, and well discussed. It covers the full gamut of my schizophrenic view on lights (and cameras, lenses, firearms, knives, woodworking tools, my kitchen counter-tops, my backyard grass...).

On the one hand, each serves a utilitarian purpose, and the logical part of my brain wants to subscribe to the view that is very nicely described by Tachead, WebHobbit, and others; that is, form follows function, and the beauty of these physical objects lies in their use, and not in the act of collecting or obsessing to excess. Just as my lawn's true purpose is as a bathroom for my dog, my flashlights' true purposes are to cast light where I need it, when I need it. Collecting and maintaining a visually beautiful amount of green grass above and beyond what my dog needs is just as illogical as collecting and maintaining a collection of flashlights above and beyond my need for handheld light sources.

On the other hand, there is a part of my brain that constantly argues against logic, and insists that the value of many objects lies in some particularly attractive aspect of its construction, execution, design, and/or upkeep. Whether I'm caring for or using my lawn, my revolvers, or my flashlights, that part of my brain often makes a convincing argument for the value of beauty in and of itself, whether it is the beauty of a tool or the beauty of a poem.

So, my collecting habits reflect my dual personality, sometimes consistent with my logical side, and sometimes with my artistic side. I have many flashlights, for example, that I purchased primarily for some amazing (to me) design or manufacturing feature, but I also always have a specific use in mind to allow me to enjoy them, as they say, "IRL."

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Over the last year or so, I've transitioned to rechargeable AA lights. Since then, I've settled on the following:

#6 Thrunite TN4A (two HI and four standard versions).

I know my Thrunites won't make most peoples "high-end" criteria, but they work very well for my needs. I keep one in my nightstand, another in the desk in my man cave, a couple in vehicles...I gave another to my wife to test, because I knew if anyone could break it, wear it out, and/or just generally abuse it, she could and would. I'm happy to say her light is still going strong, and she has even managed not to lose it. She even talks about her TN4A with great affection. She won't go outside after dark without her TN4A in her hand. I have another hanging next to the main entrance. The TN4A has become my favorite flashlight.

In addition to the TN4A', I keep an Archer 1Av3 as my edc, and a T10 on a lanyard next to the bed for an easy to grab night light. I'm so happy with these Thrunite AA flashlights that I've lost interest in acquiring other lights (although I do wish they would update the current Archer with a more low profile pocket clip).

Edit to add - I forgot I also have a Thrunite 2Av3 that I keep as more of a "tactical" home defense potential flashlight.

Last edited:

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
Never apologize for your Thrunite love, people have paid a lot more for less...my TN12 is still going strong after 4 years. Besides "cost to performance" ratio, what I love about Thrunight (and Zebralight) is NO unnecessary writing on the body: "don't look into flashlight", "warning, HOT"~lol

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I agree Mattz68, Thrunite is a very good value. I've heard good things about the TN12.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man of few lights can be a pretty broad term. You could have a hundred lights but it could still be a few compared to others....
That was just for fun:D

I wanted to just have a few but that plan did not work too well. I have recently slimmed down though.

I also wanted to comment on posts where they fear someone might look down on them for what they have/brands, etc

The way i see it is everyone has their own thoughts, needs, uses, morals, etc. It doesn't matter what you buy or what anyone else thinks; if it is what you want/need, that is all that matters.

I don't care if you go to Walmart and buy the cheapest light, if it works for what you need, you did good. My dad has some pretty old el cheapo incans and mags (probably nearly 40 yrs old) they still work as good as the day he bought them and they still work great for general use. Sure there are more feasible current offerings, but really no need to buy new lights when those still work just fine.

Ok, I'm rambling now...time to move on. If you're happy, we are happy for you (at least that's how I feel)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, my collecting habits reflect my dual personality, sometimes consistent with my logical side, and sometimes with my artistic side.

This resonates well with me. For me, I think there is some primal survival instinct gone awry, which feeds into the "artistic side,"as you put it.

If you're happy, we are happy for you (at least that's how I feel)

Ditto. That's what it's all about!

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I don't care if you go to Walmart and buy the cheapest light, if it works for what you need, you did good. My dad has some pretty old el cheapo incans and mags (probably nearly 40 yrs old) they still work as good as the day he bought them and they still work great for general use. Sure there are more feasible current offerings, but really no need to buy new lights when those still work just fine.

Agreed

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that probably is rather less than the average CPF'r ... but probably 5 or 6 more than the average non-CPF'r :grin2:

Archimedes,

You could add another new chart next to the one in your signature. Instead of lumens increasing to a peak and then declining, it could show number of lights.

I'm in the same boat as WebHobbit. Couldn't buy enough lights when I started, but now have been thinning the herd and keeping only the ones that I really like and use a lot.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
but now have been thinning the herd and keeping only the ones that I really like and use a lot.

This will be where i end up at some point possibly. Technically I have all the lights i should ever need. I know i could still slim down quite a bit more but i need more time to see what won't get used. Also if something new pops up that catches my attention, i might give in.
I still have nearly 20 lights, not counting a couple old 4-7's, old mags, and some from lowes/home Depot. I do not use any of the older lights. Right now the majority of my lights are Malkoff, Elzetta, and HDS Rotaries. Then i have a few others. Dang, just thought of a few more i forgot about.

Either way, when i find that i never use a light; they will get sold or gifted, and i will eventually slim down to bare necessity

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
For about a month I have been in Florida doing Irma clean up for family. Only have my AT Tiara which is used everyday. In fact even borrowing a cheap/old wall charger for my AAs. Been using it everyday. Heading back in a few days and will enjoy more options but gotta say this worked out well. So I have been a man of one light.

Latest posts