a Man of Few Lights

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
For about a month I have been in Florida doing Irma clean up for family. Only have my AT Tiara which is used everyday. In fact even borrowing a cheap/old wall charger for my AAs. Been using it everyday. Heading back in a few days and will enjoy more options but gotta say this worked out well. So I have been a man of one light.
This right here is the proof, but not as fun as having a bit more options:thumbsup:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
This right here is the proof, but not as fun as having a bit more options:thumbsup:

Nearing the end on Friday then it is back to New England. Tonight the one light thing went rather well.

I did a short jog.

zYqRbaK.jpg

Ran into this little burrowing owl.

hMOwjyI.jpg

Got a coconut.

8jNeDmR.jpg

The light spotted this ground leech thing.

zpw5YzI.jpg

The garage light was off so....

W26qwhd.jpg

Coconut snack.

vszc5eI.jpg

No lights outside so used mine.

aTagGng.jpg

Ceiling bounced off the cage, most of the screen is gone and some of the supports but this corner by the hot tub is mostly there. Thanks Irma....

pvDyv3h.jpg

Shower. Ceiling bounce off the floor and wall.

M2r9tME.jpg

oI2lco8.jpg

dZ2MDnr.jpg

Old NiMH charger. Not mine but almost everyone has at least one and I was traveling UL. Charged the duraloops just fine.

PBP7iN8.jpg

One month one light. No seals were broken, no zombie Apocalypse. No end of days. I do miss my pile-o-lights though.....

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Archimedes,

You could add another new chart next to the one in your signature. Instead of lumens increasing to a peak and then declining, it could show number of lights.

I'm in the same boat as WebHobbit. Couldn't buy enough lights when I started, but now have been thinning the herd and keeping only the ones that I really like and use a lot.

Well, except I guess I might still be on the rising segment ... :ohgeez:

pipspeak

Enlightened
Three is about my sweet spot and all I really need right now -- EDC/travel (currently ZL H52W), general house/garden (SF LX2), and car (Nitecore MH20GT). I've had many others over the years (and still have a couple to get rid of that currently languish in my toolbag) but am about done with my flashlight exploration... unless of course my living/working situation changes and lighting requirements with it. One day I dream of owning hundred of wilderness acres that will require me to buy something like a TN42 :devil: but since I live in a city right now the need for an extreme thrower is somewhat diminished

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
If I had to get by with only one light, I think I could do it relatively comfortably with my Zebralight H52W. I use that headlamp daily, and would feel pretty comfortable depending upon it alone if I had to.

*BUT*, it is nice to have a spare light 1) on the bedside table, 2) in my car, 3) in my wife's car, 4) in my laptop bag, 5) in my weekend EDC/messenger bag, 6) in the basement by the circuit breaker box, 7) in the garage tool box, 8) in the junk drawer, 9) in my travel bag, 10) on my key ring, etc., etc. ;)

Factoring in having backups of a few lights I really like on hand, I *should* be able to whittle it down to 15 or so and be content. I won't say just how far over qty. 15 I currently am, but that's only because I have no idea without actually rounding them all up. I suspect I'm very far over... (someone help me, please)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could definitely be ok with one light and if I was allowed to only keep one it would be the MDC 2AA. This is more or less where I am right now. I have a few more E01s around the house but the one in the pic is the one I use most, (Vihn warm mod). The Zebralight is brand new and I'm really liking it so far. It satisfies my love of super low modes and is also fun to play with now that they're totally programmable. The E12 has stuck around mainly because it's beat-up and nobody else would want it but it's a nice simple little light. The MDC is awesome. I got it from Gene with a neutral led and it's mode spacing and beam are perfect for my use. O-rings on the MDC are Danco #15. Just put them on today and they help with grip a ton. EDIT: forgot to get my Maglite ML50L in the pic. Another great light.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My collection is significantly smaller now that it was when this thread was previously active. Never thought I'd say it, but I enjoy the hobby more this way. If a flashlight is going to stay in my toy box, then it must both win my affection and find it's way into active service. If I don't love it, I sell it. If I don't use it, I sell it, even if I love it. This philosophy keeps only the best lights in my pockets and in my hands. It seems the point of equilibrium has been 12 flashlights for me, mostly HDS and Malkoff.

Has anyone else refined their hobby over the last 14 months or so?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If you are not a true Flashaholic in all honesty no one NEEDS more then one or two lights.everyone I know has like one maybe two lights and somehow they get by.We have dog walking lights middle of the night lights edc lights and lights that make the plants in our house look more true to color. That's Just us. But in reality if we're honest with ourselves we get more lights because we want more lights. But then again that's not a bad thing. Is it?

koziy

Newly Enlightened
My collection is significantly smaller now that it was when this thread was previously active. Never thought I'd say it, but I enjoy the hobby more this way. If a flashlight is going to stay in my toy box, then it must both win my affection and find it's way into active service. If I don't love it, I sell it. If I don't use it, I sell it, even if I love it. This philosophy keeps only the best lights in my pockets and in my hands. It seems the point of equilibrium has been 12 flashlights for me, mostly HDS and Malkoff.

What you described has been my philosophy with more expensive hobbies, namely musical instruments and firearms, but flashlights have a deadly combination of relative low cost and extreme novelty that makes them so easy to buy too many of. About five years ago, I bought a ~140 lumen Maratac AAA for around $37, and I thought it was an absolute pocket rocket (to be fair, Maratacs are expensive today too). Now, for about $37, I can get a 1000 lumen pocketable EDC flashlight, lithium ion battery, charger, and still have money left over to buy a 500 lumen "cheapie" flashlight.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you described has been my philosophy with more expensive hobbies, namely musical instruments and firearms, but flashlights have a deadly combination of relative low cost...

Sometimes I wish my preferences ran that way. Buy two flashlights from HDS and you're in the price range of a Glock 17. I often feel like I'm shooting myself, if you'll forgive a feeble metaphor, but I have expensive tastes in flashlights. Fewer is better for me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I have....
I'm down to oh.... 400 or so and only carry 5 or 6 with me now.

Little by little some of my lights have found their way into other folks collections (or homes of non flashaholics) in the last year or so.

Only lights costing around $10 or less have been added. Late model type from the 1970's or so with modern updates by the vintage companies like Rayovac or Eveready.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have as well. I was spending way too much time thinking about lights and creating unrealistic "needs" that I really don't have for flashlights. I was also buying and selling like a crazy man. So I've pared it all down and I have been much happier honestly. These are all I have now. My modified "nightly" E01 with yellow lip balm diffuser, which works so well that when I got the warm Yuji Sofirn I sold it instantly and don't miss it. I have two backup E01s, the Olight rides on my keychain, and the 2C (or two AA via adapter) maglite sits on the bedside table. I love flashlights. But my brain can go over the top and I end up researching incessantly. Much happier now with this small crew. Now to get to the same place with knives! I really don't have a ton of knives (less than 10 for sure) but if I can get down to a few users and sell the rest I'll be good to go. Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

koziy

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes I wish my preferences ran that way. Buy two flashlights from HDS and you're in the price range of a Glock 17. I often feel like I'm shooting myself, if you'll forgive a feeble metaphor, but I have expensive tastes in flashlights. Fewer is better for me.

Maybe I just haven't progressed to that point yet. I am mainly interested in flashlights that I can put into my pocket, and there are a lot of relatively inexpensive options that I have yet to explore. Even my "lumen power houses" are all still pretty small, 1x26650 lights at biggest. I've been looking at some of the big multi-battery throwers lately, and honestly, I fully admit that something like an Acebeam K70 is a very cool flashlight and I'd love to own one just to have it, but I would have to go out of my way to create situations to use it to its full potential. What's the point of throwing light 3/4 or a mile away if I need binoculars to see what I'm shining at? Maybe if I owned a bunch of land with a lot of open fields it would make sense.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well kozly, even if you owned a mountain in Montana you'd still need those binoculars, right?

I'm with you. I see about a football field distance clearly so anything capable of lighting Mars from my house does not fall into the list of wants.

I chased that perfect beam for a while and at one point realized I had already found it long before but...

Digging on the history of the flashlight I set out to own pieces of history while they were still available. Trouble was there were so dang many examples. When my paypal got hacked I saw that as divine intervention and put the brakes on and fast.

It was shocking at first. In time the grass grew back in the path worn by the delivery folks and things returned to normal again. Yet is sure is fun at times looking around my den at all the flashlight history.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I have around 25 lights, most of my uses are pared down to a few lights:

1- headlamp- ZL H600fc
2- HDS 4500k 18650 Rotary
3- Convoy C8 from Mountain electronics (thrower, more for fun)
4- stock surefire e2e (fun/ nostalgia)

Backups lights: Malkoff MD2/M61N, HDS cr123/3'Oclock high and PK-pr1

Most of my other lights are in various places around the house, for either emergency use or convenience like 3D mag with Malkoff drop in, ZL h51fw and fenix e01. Most of my other lights are sitting around like my Okluma DC1 (awesome light just moving towards 18650 format for daily use) or Rangervn (really fun light, almost perfect UI for its size)

scout24

Flashaholic
I find myself only using and carrying a few in regular rotation, but the shelves of cool and somewhat unique seem to have their own gravitational pull. It's tough to pull them off of there to sell rather than dust. :)

(To my credit, I've only purchased one flashlight so far this year. Which, for me, is unheard of...)

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started getting caught up in the LED progression ramp-up from 2008 to 2012 and was buying flashlights not because I needed them, but because they were getting better and more feature rich. Thankfully I stopped myself before getting too deep, as older flashlights were quickly losing value.

Today, the story has changed so much. While there's so much choice, there's also so many great options, lights powerful and efficient enough that you don't need to get caught up in the tech progression. I have about 6 lights that I use fairly regularly, most in the very small form factor. As for older lights, I don't see any tangible resale value that would make it worth passing on, so I just assign them various backup spots in the house and car.

Latest posts