A Short History of the Delta Electric Company

Heather16t

Newly Enlightened
I found a Delta # 6 Ignitor Type Dry Battery.
I was just wondering if anyone have any more information on the item? I am really not sure what to do with it.
Could someone please help me
Thank you :confused:

Hepsaint

Newly Enlightened
Bravo! I just began collecting WWII Era Flashlights and am re-wiring an old Navy Battle Lantern as we speak. I will be searching the forums for prior post about wiring/re-wiring, but have already found what batteries/bulbs to use and am ready to get this one going.

Thanx for the info on the Delta Company!

Comsult

Newly Enlightened
To be honest, my main interest is in oil/kerosene lanterns. But I do have a few electrics. One new one is of interest to me, I just acquired it. I am hoping that Captain Smiley might have some more detailed information to share on it, as it's the one in his last photograph, the set of 4 grey ones (one on top of the other three) and is the one on the bottom row far right. I notice his is missing the lens and bulb etc. I recognized it as being a ship's lantern, possibly military WWII era. I am surprised that the listing here seems to indicate WWI vintage. My first question is, can I get that confirmed some how? The markings on the side of mine are: Inside: 5293-L-2 Side: 5311-L-1 Outside: 9-S5311-L Type J-IS Back Hanger: JELTA Elect. Co. Marion Indiana Made in U.S.A. Which brings up my second question: Mine seems to clearly read "Jelta" not "Delta" I suppose it could be a stamping error, but is it possible that this is a later copy of the Delta or something? My lantern is in great shape, missing only the batteries. Seems to take one short and one long one insided. It's even got the wiring to go between the batteries rattling around inside. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Addendum: I have gone back to the lantern, now, armed with the information of "Delta" being the manufacturer. I can now see where the stamp did not make a complete mark and it is "Delta" not "Jelta". The scratches obscured what little of the left of the D present. So that's One question answered. Further research tends to support WWII era or Vintage. Are there any records out there of the parts coding that might indicate if this was a Military unit or a Civilian? There were an awful lot of transport/freighters out there and I (in my admitted 'newbie' view) am wondering if they might not also use these items.

Last edited:

Karen Kovale

Newly Enlightened
I recently found a large photograph of the 9th annural Delta Electric Company picnic held on July 24, 1937. It was behind a picture of my father 's naval training class taken in 1943. I'd love to know if anyone has any information about the possibility of which one of my family members worked at Delta in 1937. My dad would have been 14. My grandparent' s names are Mary and William Kovale and one of them could have worked there. The picture was taken at Lukins Lake and the photographer was listed in Marion IN. I can't make out the photographer's name as it's hand written in white on the photo. There are over 100 people in the photo, including children and families. If anyone knows if the Delta Elec. Company still had offices in Chicago in 1937, I'd appreciate it. I believe that is where my grandparents were living in 1937.

Thanks to anyone who could provide some information.

Karen Kovale

davey51

Newly Enlightened
Hey Kirk, I am looking for more info on the Delta flashlights. I know they are hard to find. I have a C cell model #100 in great working condition. I found out they had 9 models. So I'm wondering if the model #100 was their first flashlight made and only C cell flashlight made. I collect vintage flashlights and have my share of LED flashlights also. I also have a website showing my vintage lights but not sure if it's ok to add the name so I won't just to be safe. I haven't posted before. But I did get my start with the LED lights here!

Thanks for any info, Dave

rustneversleeps

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I was wondering if you were interested in selling this DELTA photograph, if you happen to still have it.
I'm a collector of anything from the DELTA ELECTRIC COMP. and would love to have it in my collection or at least see it if you don't mind posting or email me a picture of it

tbowers36

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for information about a product that was made by Delta electric in Marion
when i was young we had a Bell tower Christmas decoration it played actual bells with different notes using a paper record with punches in it to play the different notes
it had several c7 bulbs and was enclosed in a cardboard Tower
I can find nothing out there on them Sadly when we cleared out my moms old house after she passed this decoration along with others was left in the attic
I would love to find another or even a picture of it Any help would be appreciated
It was made by delta Electric In Marion indiana probably late 1950s early 60s

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In 1913 $25 k was a whole buncha money.
Millions in todays terms? No
But a nice nest egg for r&d, machine aquisition and pay checks for a while.

Nice thread here. Sounds like Delta helped a flat world become round.

Last edited:

rustneversleeps

Newly Enlightened
/Users/recclestone1/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/12/21/20151221-234758/PN0arTZYSaytqlWIE+GBeg/thumb_IMG_1276_1024.jpg/Users/recclestone1/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2016/04/18/20160418-043826/7LRFUWoMTl6gvzpqVfswPw/thumb_IMG_1722_1024.jpg
I am looking for information about a product that was made by Delta electric in Marion
when i was young we had a Bell tower Christmas decoration it played actual bells with different notes using a paper record with punches in it to play the different notes
it had several c7 bulbs and was enclosed in a cardboard Tower
I can find nothing out there on them Sadly when we cleared out my moms old house after she passed this decoration along with others was left in the attic
I would love to find another or even a picture of it Any help would be appreciated
It was made by delta Electric In Marion indiana probably late 1950s early 60s
It was called the " DELTA BELL-LITES " I have a set without the tower it was made to hang on the tree.
I bid on a set with the tower about a year ago but i didn't win, I've seen about 5 sets on ebay in the last 6 years most are missing the box and only one of them was a tower set , the set i didn't winfile:///Users/recclestone1/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/12/21/20151221-234758/PN0arTZYSaytqlWIE+GBeg/thumb_IMG_1276_1024.jpgfile:///Users/recclestone1/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/12/21/20151221-234758/0QdBG4RJTlWBgfdym68WvA/thumb_IMG_1271_1024.jpgfile:///Users/recclestone1/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/12/22/20151222-011841/JvAqxCY3SNOtNh6VRHPyJg/thumb_IMG_1279_1024.jpg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While looking for a Fulton map reader light I found a Delta.

IMG_20160514_191440_zpskqlaka0h.jpg

IMG_20160514_191637_zps79lqfmng.jpg

Check out the dispersed beam
IMG_20160514_190923_zpsrmnjemkq.jpg

IMG_20160514_190541_zps5vftrwee.jpg

IMG_20160514_151141_zpsinxxtcg0.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Realizing this post steers away from Delta I think if not for another fellow nobody would've made it past the 1910's using wet cell tech or the really bad dry cell of the time. So here goes....

Burgess Battery Co:
The year was 1906. Folks at the Oscar Meyer packing plant (in Madison Wisconsin) were plagued with power shortages. They needed good batteries. Dry cell had been invented but not perfected. Enter 'French Battery Co' (now Rayovac) who was the leading supplier of batteries at the time. A consultant engineer named C.F. Burgess (1873-1945) was tasked with helping develop better chemistry. The #6 cell (as in 6" long) was widely used, but unreliable. In 1907 Mr. Burgess had succesfully combined chemicals to produce what he called "the best batteries in the world".

Well the fertile mind of CF Burgess at some point inside his lab made zinc cans using a broom handle (C cell) and a shovel handle (D cell) and created the #1 and #2 cells we now use regularly.

At some point his relationship with the French Battery Co soured. The factory burned in 1915, so he split and started Burgess Batteries. Later that merged with Mallory Batteries. We call it Duracell now.

Mr. Burgess worked with US military folks along the way and they supplied cells to the armed forces during WW I. By the 1930's he was pissed about taxes and moved his business from Wisconsin to Freeport Illinois and he moved to Florida. During the Great Depression his company fell into dire straits.

In 1910 he sold his first flashlights to the Madison Gas and Electric Co. They were called "Northern Lights". At flashlight museums page I saw Burgess lights up to the 1980's.

Thank you Charles F Burgess.

A book called "Madison: History of the formative years" tells the story of how CF Burgess was tapped to make better batteries. (A book about Madison Wisconsin- ISBN O-299-19980-0)

A book called "Romance in Research: Life of CF Burgess" tells his tale of life at Burgess Battery Co and other adventures in the life of an electrical/ chemical engineer.

IMG_20160515_112108_zpsprxio0og.jpg

IMG_20160515_110503_zpsbsc4a4rd.jpg

IMG_20160515_110423_zpsaqempo0v.jpg

IMG_20160515_110346_zpscknwl4ik.jpg

Maybe at some point member CF Burgess (the new owner of this company) will pop in a either correct my story as necessary or add to it.

Last edited:

Seahunter

Newly Enlightened
Can any Delta expert tell me the difference between a Delta Navy style lantern #5293-L and #5311-L?
They look identical.
s-l500.jpg

I have an opportunity to buy both but only want one if they're the same.
Thanks

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread here !

lovecpf

In 2006, when I first joined CPF,
I chose my username of Burgess as a
Tribute to the batteries and lights I had
known from my youth (born in 1953).

I've honestly been a Flashaholic
since at least the age of 4 years !
# Truth