a what point do you stop collecting ?

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you eating out for only $20 a night per person?
That is downright cheap nowadays.
Most of the local mexican and burger/bar places have plates that were $10-12 now going for $13-16. I never order a soda or appetizer or anything else, so it's just that plus 7.5% NC tax and 15% tip.
So anything under $16 is under $20. The nachos at one burger/bar just jumped from $11 to $14, crossing the $15 bottom line, and that's where I quit buying them. Nachos on the way home from work aren't a "going out to eat experience", it's "getting something to eat", and worth less $ accordingly.
Didn't help that the waiter said "no the price didn't go up" when it went up 25% within the last month or two. Probably, they weren't working there two months ago... but, whatever. Better for my health, anyway.

As a nod to the topic, the quickest way I've found to stop collecting is to get laid off or have some major car or medical expense cause you to take serious stock of your budget, which one may have been getting lax about sticking to. Less effective is finding that your "display" of things has become more of a double-layer clutter of things. The most pleasant way is finding yourself more interested in something else and thus not compelled to add more stuff to a particular interest's collection. I was very happy when I got back into video gaming, as, for as much of a "waste of time" that may be, the cost is modest and there is no extra shelf space required.

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
At what point do you stop collecting so you don`t become a horder ??? Smother Chrome posed a video a month ago of all teir flash lights and they hace 200 flashlights. I don`t buy any more light since I use what I have!, do you own 300 flashlights or does the 300 flashlights own ? its a qood question to ask your self.

To quote fight club " The things you own end up owning you "
When death pulls my Malkoff/Surefire/HDS from my cold dead hands! I really don't collect, when I find I don't use something g I give it away to my boys. I just gave away my Convoy T4 titanium to my bro Andrew last night. Him and Ruben will give it a good thrashing so I can see how titanium holds up. But due to the tail cap threads on the T4 and the fact it looks like it's compressing directly against the batteries when screwed down as much as you can, I don't think I will be DLC coating one of them.

HA! Not yet. I just purchased two new offerings from the fine folks at Foursevens -

Java Preon P1 & P2

Image 2.jpg

TPA

Enlightened
@Monocrom : I can't think of the last time I've bought anything other than gas from a 7-11. It's been at least 5 years or more.

Here's McDonald's, Orlando, FL. IIRC this was about $10. Yes, that's a real china plate and metal silverware. That's how they serve it down here.
20230908_220839.jpg

La Fiesta, Port Orange, FL. IIRC, we were out the door for $30 for the two of us including drinks.
20221226_151013.jpg

20230430_164853.jpg

Don Julio's, Orlando: This used to be around $12, now up to $15 as of yesterday.
20230805_211119.jpg

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite cheap food is the local Chinese restaurant lunch special. You get a meat dish, pork fried rice, soup, and appetizer for about $11. It's enough for two people and decent quality.

TPA

Enlightened
In a practical sense, I do think it's proper to thin out the collection over time.

I'm pruning out the garbage lights lately. You know, the generic ones which you find near the cash registers in any store. I've held onto them over the years as "emergency" lights, "just in case" something happened to my regular lights. Honestly, the only way I'd ever use these is if something happened to all of the other lights and these were the only ones left.... but even then, I'd probably still keep looking around to see if I could scrounge up anything better.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
@Monocrom : I can't think of the last time I've bought anything other than gas from a 7-11. It's been at least 5 years or more....
I'll admit, the food at the 7-11 over by my 3rd shift job is quite good. Surprisingly good. Not even remotely as good as what you've got access to though. Damn. :oops:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a single 7-11 in nyc, that I've been to sells gas, I never even seen 7-11 with a gas station. i used to eat 7-11 food when i was in my 20 and hung out all night, it was ok back then, never thought of its nutritional values, but then who does in their 20s, i used to smoke a pack a day back then too. cigs cost same as gallon of gas

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not a single 7-11 in nyc, that I've been to sells gas, I never even seen 7-11 with a gas station....
Head out to Long Island about 2 hours away. Farmingdale has one. Gas Station attached to a 7-11 (instead of your typical Mini-Mart).

TPA

Enlightened
Before the island got trashed we had 3x 7-11s. Only 1 sold gas. I miss being able to walk to a convenience store. It was a 3 minute walk on the island. It's 15-20 minutes each way where I'm at now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One day it just hit me. Don't know when or where, but I thought "what are you doing man, you're incoming flashlights are piling up and not being enjoyed". So I just stopped collecting and started enjoying. I still add one here or there but not very often.

mjac

Newly Enlightened
At what point do you stop collecting so you don`t become a horder ??? Smother Chrome posed a video a month ago of all teir flash lights and they hace 200 flashlights. I don`t buy any more light since I use what I have!, do you own 300 flashlights or does the 300 flashlights own ? its a qood question to ask your self.

To quote fight club " The things you own end up owning you "
How many Flashlights do you have?…Not enough.