AAA Ti torch

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the ti aaa floodlighs i got.
Mako, univex aaa ,tain p0, mbi hf, lenselight micro. + the dqg ti. but i dont consider the dqg a true floodlight.

Charles L.

Enlightened
Prometheus beta-QR? Two modes, Nichia 219 emitter. Looks pretty nice to me!

Edit: my bad, not a Ti light…. looks good in nickel and copper, however!

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't make contact with my unprotected 10440 cell. What are you using? Thank you.
The tiny magnets that mbi sendt out with the torpedo x works like a charm on all my unprotected 10440. i have also made a small solder droplet on some batteries. Works, but i disliked putting the hot soldering iron on the li ion battery. The tiny magnet wont fall off, so i think its a better way to make a nipple on the 10440.

zephyr11

Newly Enlightened
IMG_2435 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

only planning to get one, but ended up with 2, the Fenix was from eons ago, LoL...

love them both!

thank you for everyone's recommendations and suggestions.

one quick question; for some reason, the klarus turns on and then somehow "short circuits" and it doesn't turn on after for awhile. then it somehow works fine again.

and also the spongey thing that prevents it from rattling in the case is not very well stuck to the torch head, can i just use double sided tape to tape it down?

zephyr11

Newly Enlightened
any can help with this? now it doesn't even turn on after awhile.

one quick question; for some reason, the klarus turns on and then somehow "short circuits" and it doesn't turn on after for awhile. then it somehow works fine again.

and also the spongey thing that prevents it from rattling in the case is not very well stuck to the torch head, can i just use double sided tape to tape it down?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of cell are you using? Did you try cleaning the contacts? Is the pill in tight? You can try double sided tape to secure the foam. I've read that some people replace this with a trimmed and cutout corn bandage (Dr. Scholls). Did you contract the retailer or Klarus?

zephyr11

Newly Enlightened
i'm using regular AAA batts on this, and i've taped down the spongy side, and also cleaned the contact points.

i did just email both klarus and the retailer. but the thing is i chucked the packaging already. hope that is not an issue.

i do have receipt of the item though.

zephyr11

Newly Enlightened
i pushed abit and it lit up for a split half second. then it's dead again.

:fail:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using either an Eneloop or an Energizer lithium primary and have never had this issue. But my li-ion 10440 doesn't make contact. Is the pill (light engine) screwed in all the way? What do you mean by "pushed a bit?" I wonder if the foam is blocking contact?

zephyr11

Newly Enlightened
^^^^^^^^

i'm thinking the same thing, is there a "replacement" for the foam? i don't exactly know how to get hold of spare parts.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read on CPF of some people using a Dr Scholl's corn pad - punch a hole in the center. I've never done it, but it sounds reasonable.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just use a drop of glue to get the foam to stick.
Sounds like you got contact issues. Check the soldering under the foam. The outer edge of the driver needs contact with the brass pill for the battery - path to reach the driver/led. If a twisty is clean, and only flashes now and then. The contact between the driver and head is the first thing i check.

BarryG

Enlightened
I had a problem like this with my IlluminaTi. I cleaned the contacts about 3 times with a pencil eraser and alcohol and it started working again. Great Ti AAA light if you need another recommendation!

Can you jump it with a paper clip to help isolate the problem?

Barry

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read on CPF of some people using a Dr Scholl's corn pad - punch a hole in the center. I've never done it, but it sounds reasonable.

What about the medicine inside the corn pad,surely that may damage the light in some way.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a problem like this with my IlluminaTi. I cleaned the contacts about 3 times with a pencil eraser and alcohol and it started working again. Great Ti AAA light if you need another recommendation!

Can you jump it with a paper clip to help isolate the problem?

Barry

As part of my job i sell work shop tools and on offer for April i am selling diamond coated terminal cleaners which would be ideal for lights as these are designed to clean inside automotive terminals.

We are trade only sellers and the above comment is for reference only to give you an idea what professionals use.

FACE1

Newly Enlightened
Hi zephyr11

You might want to check out 4Sevens' Atom A0 Ti.

THis one!!!! that pretty much describes your whole checklist that you have, save for maybe not being as waterproof as you would like but the 2 light levels are more than sufficient, especially it being a keychain light.

Cheers,
FACE

Jdubs

Newly Enlightened
zephyr: I've never had the problems you described while using alkaline cells. I had to trim the plastic wrap on 10440's to make those batteries work. On one of my MiX lights, there was an extra spring inside the tube. I was initially disappointed with the light, seeing how few threads were engaged, but I can't remember if that affected the operation of the light. It doesn't sound like that is your issue, but perhaps your light could be missing the spring? Do you feel resistance as you tighten the head before you bottom out on the threads?

zephyr11

Newly Enlightened
took it apart and and cleaned it up, with alcohol swabs.

20140430_101003 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

and put a new layer of double sided tape, and then wiped it down again.

adjusted the "spring" on the inside end of the tube, with another black rubber O ring on the outside.

fingers crossed put in the battery, and twisted it in.

AND IT WORKS!

i suspect could be the O ring on the inside it was not seated properly, and could also be that the contact points were dirty.

now the retailer replied, telling me to send it back as it is. and they will refund me, because they do not have stocks for this anymore.

i think i'll hold on to it for another week and test it everyday, to make sure it works, before deciding what to do.

thanks very much for all your inputs! very happy that this community is so helpful!

:D