AccuEvolution D Cells quality gone!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just dumped 16 of these in the recycle bin.high resistance.going below .9 volt at 1 amp load.a neighbor bought these last year for his deer feeders.big waste of money!
i did cycle them without any improvement.junk!!!!
btw these worked poorly for the first few cycles but then the feeder would reset when it tried to dispense.it worked fine on my old 8ah panasonics.from 1998!

357mag1

Enlightened
So after 3 months on the shelf...would not the Tenergy Premium non LSD be stronger than the Ternergy Centura?

I need some batteries next week and they need to be a longer term type that would be recharged every 3-4 months.
From the above test, I think that I should get the Tenergy Premium.

Is this a correct understnading of the above test?

I have not been on this site in quite some time. My response is probably too late to do you any good but yes the Premiums I've tested have more left after 3 months than the Centuras. Both are the best D cells I've tested.

Don't mourn the loss of the AccuEvolutions. Even the original cells which I have didn't reach 10,000mah capacity. Those original cells were great cells but had no more capacity than the Centuras from my extensive testing. They did hold a higher resting/static voltage than the Centuras but under a heavy load they didn't maintain the higher voltage. The Centuras will do anything the original cells would do.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Hey all, I am reviving this thread to give some results of my LSD testing on a few different D Nimhs. I missed my six month and one year mark to test the batteries, but they sat patiently on a shelf waiting for 18 months.

All batteries listed below were fully charged on my Maha C808M during November of 2011.

During May of 2013, I discharged them on my Accucell 8150 with 10 gauge leads and magnets at 1A rate to .9VDC. When I finished testing the cells, I charged them on my Maha C808M on the default settings and then did another discharge test to check their capacity after charging. I also put the percentage of charge left compared to fully charged cell.

I am LSD testing eight batteries. Two samples of each listed below.

TP = Tenergy Premium 10000mAh non-LSD purchased 08/2011
TC = Tenergy Centura LSD 8000mAh purchased 11/2011
OS = Old style AccuEvolutions 10000mAh purchased 01/2010
NS = New style AccuEvolutions 10000mAh purchased 07/2010

Battery18 mo LSDFully Charged
TP-231501003031%
TP-34905981950%
TC-27668863488%
TC-37625871487%
OS-27158909678%
OS-37066892279%
NS-24263969743%
NS-35799957660%

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
Thanks for your data mate, it certainly has made my choice in D cells easier, especially since I need to get them shipped from the US to Australia, which makes mistakes even more expensive.

I have a hyperion EOS606i ac/dc hobby charger here that I'm going to mod to match your Turnigy....your thread is just overflowing with great info!

You're welcome.

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
I've never let them set on the shelf that long but your test just confirm what I have been saying about the AccuEvolution cells. Even the original cells are no better than the Tenergy Centura cells. The Centura's even handle the high (in excess of 14amps) current draws better than my original AccuEvolution cells.

Feel free to buy the AccuEvolution cells but you we be paying more money for lesser cells. In fact my testing leads me to believe they are the worst rechargeable NIMH D cells on the market.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I agree 357mag1, the new style Accuevolutions are crap. I have ten of them.

Once I finished my tests, I wanted to keep the NSs where I could keep an eye on them in a group. I put nine of them in three Rayovac Sportsman LED lanterns. Ironically, these are by far the most used D powered devices I own. I use the lanterns in a couple of dark closets and a kitchen pantry. They get used all the time.

From the info in this thread, I wish all my 38 D cells were the Tenergy Centuras. I pick the Centuras over the Premiums for the same reason most people pick Eneeloops over non-LSD AAs.

Thanks for starting this thread 357mag1. I hope it has caused Accuevolution some grief and kept people from buying inferior batteries.

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
I started the thread in hopes to help others from wasting their money on the New AccuEvolution cells. Guys like you have helped confirm the cells are actually garbage and it isn't just one unhappy customer. Maybe together we saved some poor soul with limited resources from purchasing the poor quality AccuEvolution cells.

I would settle for a return of the original cells but now that I know the Tenergy Centura's are better than even those cells and cheaper it really doesn't matter. Those of us using D NIMH cells have a great quality low discharge cell at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the kind words.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the info in this thread, I wish all my 38 D cells were the Tenergy Centuras. I pick the Centuras over the Premiums for the same reason most people pick Eneeloops over non-LSD.

I have quite a few Centura C and D cells. And I have to admit that they have been REALLY good to me. However, I also would like to have some Premiums for certain occasions. According to the tests in this thread, from the standpoint of capacity, the Premiums are still ahead of the Centuras at the three month point. This means that the Premiums not only hold an advantage over Centuras for immediate use. But they hold at least SOME advantage all the way up to a little more than three months. So Premiums would DEFINITELY be better in situations where capacity is of utmost importance and I don't need to worry about whether the batteries are still ready to go after several months.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So Premiums would DEFINITELY be better in situations where capacity is of utmost importance and I don't need to worry about whether the batteries are still ready to go after several months.

Premiums would definitely be better if you start cranking up the amps over 3A too.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Premiums would definitely be better if you start cranking up the amps over 3A too.

I've not found the Centuras to be weaklings at high current draw. They seem to do quite well with my ROP light. In fact, they don't even get warm.

357mag1

Enlightened
The Premiums are definitely the way to go for Max capacity. In fact unless you plan to let your batteries set for over three months before use the Premiums are the way to go. I like to use Centuras in my camping lanterns which use 8 D cell batteries as they do tend to set a while between uses and I want them ready to go when I grab them.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've not found the Centuras to be weaklings at high current draw. They seem to do quite well with my ROP light. In fact, they don't even get warm.

More that the high currents reduces the runtime and the Premiums make up for that.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. Speaking of that, I'm actually wondering whether LSD batteries are really as desirable as people around here say. I mean, three months is a LONG time. And I'm willing to bet that most folks here will probably charge their batteries LONG before that time passes - especially in EDC or work lights. When it all comes down, the extra capacity of non-LSD lights would seem to win out over having a battery that is able to hold 85% of its charge after a year (or, as these tests indicate, 87-88% after 18 months). So why is LSD considered THE way to go (and non-LSD something to avoid like the plague)?

Power Me Up

Enlightened
LSD cells tend to be more robust - meaning that standard cells may start off with reasonable self discharge rates, but after a bit of use, they may end up with self discharge rates that are a significant problem.

357mag1

Enlightened
LSD cells tend to be more robust - meaning that standard cells may start off with reasonable self discharge rates, but after a bit of use, they may end up with self discharge rates that are a significant problem.

I thought I was answering the post by StorminMatt when I stated:

I have to agree, even at 10amp draws the Centura are only edged out by the Premiums. The Centuras out perform the original AccuEvolution cells at high current loads from my testing.

In extended testing at higher current draws the Premium cells usually hold a slight advantage over the Centuras through the entire discharge cycle though by the mid-point that advantage is almost non-existent.

Eneloop AA LSD cells tend to be more robust than most but are beat out by the Energizer 2300mah cells with the green top. These cells are also made by Sanyo (now Panasonic) and my testing has shown they outperform the Eneloop cells in all respects. If the quality of the cells are identical it appears the standard cell is actually more robust. Plenty of crappy AA cells out there even ones touting LSD qualities.

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
I think the whole LSD vs non-LSD argument should be decided by application. I remember when LSDs first came out, it was the camera crowd that had to make a decision. Are they a professional photographer and need max capacity and need to charge their cells frequently or are they an amateur shutterbug that just needs their camera to work when they pick it up?... even if it has been sitting for months.

I fall into the latter camp. I have many things that use D cells, but I don't use any of them much. I just want them to work when I use them. I have many batteries(both Nimh and Li-on) but I don't have many loose batteries. All my batteries are in something and most of them somethings are just glorified battery holders; storing batteries for backup or emergencies or sporatic use of item.

Plus, non-LSDs in AAs have left a bad taste in my mouth from previous experiences. All of the AA non-LSDs have failed me and have been tossed. I have yet to have a LSD AA battery fail or be thrown away. It is definitely security over capacity for me.

I own four of the Tenergy Premiums and will use them as needed when a big job might come along and capacity is king.

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
fnsooner,

For your situation I have to agree the Centuras make more sense. It is nice to know we have quality LSD and standard D cells that are reasonably priced. I'm finding some of my D cells sit more now than they use to and the LSD qualities are hard to ignore. When I pick a light up I want it to work even if it has been setting for more than a year.