Acebeam K60 (XHP70, 4x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

legendofzelda

Newly Enlightened
Just received my K60 from Amzn. Took 2 days. Now I need batteries for it. Which batteries will work that wont take 30 days to receive? Also, I see people are complaining about counterfeit / rewrapped LG 18655 batteries in the reviews on Amzn.l

harro

Enlightened
Just received my K60 from Amzn. Took 2 days. Now I need batteries for it. Which batteries will work that wont take 30 days to receive? Also, I see people are complaining about counterfeit / rewrapped LG 18655 batteries in the reviews on Amzn.l

Be careful with the cells you run in your K60. As ven and others have pointed out, go for high drain, at least 10Q, and you wont run into problems. I run the genuine Acebeam 3400 high drains in my K60, but any quality high drain 18650 cell should see you right. If you have any doubts about a specific cell, then just dont use it.

So, ven, a standard K70 now?? How does your vn version lack, if at all? ? Or do you use the excuse i use, ' whats the point of it sitting in a shop, when it could be sitting in my hands! ? '

Mike.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to what harro indicates in the post above,

Quote from the Acebeam website: "caution:
highly recommend using unprotected high drain battery (ARC18650H-250A) which at least 20A 2500mAh, ..."

Please order batteries from a respected supplier. I order batteries from Going Gear. Genuine stuff, fast, friendly service.

:welcome:

legendofzelda

Newly Enlightened
I had a chance to get get some video of my Acebeam K60 tonight. Here's a beamshot lighting up the Costco from my balcony. After using the K60, I'm putting my TN32 back in the box.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Be careful with the cells you run in your K60. As ven and others have pointed out, go for high drain, at least 10Q, and you wont run into problems. I run the genuine Acebeam 3400 high drains in my K60, but any quality high drain 18650 cell should see you right. If you have any doubts about a specific cell, then just dont use it.

So, ven, a standard K70 now?? How does your vn version lack, if at all? ? Or do you use the excuse i use, ' whats the point of it sitting in a shop, when it could be sitting in my hands! ? '

Mike.

I like the k70vn a lot Mike, certainly my fav thrower (pips the tn32UTvn) . My k60vn is de-domed so around 200kcd ish, more than adequate for my uses tbh! Would say the 60 is better for a more general throw/flood type use, due to the brighter spill and larger hot spot. Plus it has one of the nicest beams IMO (de-domed xhp70)

The 70 does not get near as warm as the 60 due to around 2600 V 4500lm , not really much I can say negative about the light other than the size may be an issue for some(same size as the 60). But to get this type of performance /throw/heat dissipation, it's not going to be a small light anyway.

Both mine are fed Samsung 30Q cells 15a 3000mah but 10a on will be fine in either light. If run time is a priority then the 10a 3500mah cells make a good option too.

harro

Enlightened
I must admit, the K60 has somewhat whet my appetite for a K70. Looks like a bit more overtime coming up, ohh well...
With a few weeks of the K60 under my belt now, its proven to be a great piece, for my needs. It pretty much leaves other big led
torches in the shade. If the '70 delivers, in its own way, as much as the '60 does likewise, its going to be a hard to beat
thrower.

:whistle:

ven

Flashaholic
Not sure what throwers you have but it should certainly deliver. It still has decent usable spill as well. Although similar cosmetically , the beams are quite different with spill brightness and large hot spot of the 60, tight more concentrated hot spot of the 70.

If your after a very good thrower and like the form factor of the 60, you can't go wrong IMHO . Would be tempted for the vn version for a little current bump and heat sinking -570kcd.

BethAtTheHug

Newly Enlightened
Bought a stock K60 the other day, and today made a handlebar mount for my bike (I go through the woods and beach near home, it's not my on-road light). What can I say but absolutely fantastic!!

Thanks go to Selfbuilt for an excellent review that swung me to this torch.

BethAtTheHug

Newly Enlightened
Funnily enough I was thinking of taking a photie of it tomorrow. I did take some handheld 'beamshots' for my own amusement, you'll have to excuse the poor quality.

Acebeam K60 level 2, 50 lumens
by Elizabeth Oldham, on Flickr

Acebeam K60, level 6, 5000 lumens

Not exactly unexpected but good all the same - the heatsink kept the torch head and body cool whilst pottering about the beach, on level 6. Been using levels 3 and 4 mostly. Overall seriously impressed with it.

ven

Flashaholic
Funnily enough I was thinking of taking a photie of it tomorrow. I did take some handheld 'beamshots' for my own amusement, you'll have to excuse the poor quality.

Not exactly unexpected but good all the same - the heatsink kept the torch head and body cool whilst pottering about the beach, on level 6. Been using levels 3 and 4 mostly. Overall seriously impressed with it.

Completely missed this!! awesome:D Certainly light up the beach for you:cool:

harro

Enlightened

Gosh, that 5000 lumens is only just adequate........:eek:

Last edited:

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
I second that question.
Current draw ist max 4.5A on level 6.

I made runtime measurements with Samsung 30Q, 35E, LG MJ1 and Soshine protected 3400mAh (NCR 18650 BF) on levels 5 and 6.
Best runtime on level 6 until battery warning was with LG MJ1, followed by SDI 35E, 30Q, protected NCR BL.
On level 5 it was MJ1/35E (identical), protected NCR BL, 30Q.
So there's no need for trading in capacity for high-current capability.
I think among currently available cells the NCR18650GA would achieve max runtime in all modes, but I don't have 4 of them to verify this.

I just found a deal on the K60 on ebay that I couldn't pass up. However, I only have Nitecore NL189 and Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh protected cells. I've seen several references that these cells have a 6.8A max discharge rate. If the K60 draws a max of 4.5A as stated above then these cells I have should work fine, right? What is the benefit of running something like the Samsung INR18650-30Q. It has a much higher max current discharge but it doesn't seem like it is really necessary for the K60. Am I missing something? TIA.

harro

Enlightened
FWIW, NCR18650GA's work fine in my K60 ( as well as the Acebeam 3400 high drains ), levels 5 and 6 are no worries. The cells are a pretty snug fit in the carrier, but not to the point of distortion or damage to the carrier.

Last edited:

BethAtTheHug

Newly Enlightened
I just found a deal on the K60 on ebay that I couldn't pass up. However, I only have Nitecore NL189 and Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh protected cells. I've seen several references that these cells have a 6.8A max discharge rate. If the K60 draws a max of 4.5A as stated above then these cells I have should work fine, right? What is the benefit of running something like the Samsung INR18650-30Q. It has a much higher max current discharge but it doesn't seem like it is really necessary for the K60. Am I missing something? TIA.

You're missing the voltage drop that happens with current draw. The NCR1865B cell voltage will drop more as current rises. The 30Q holds up better, for little loss in usable capacity. Put the two batteries into the comparator here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php untick the low current discharge boxes and tick the 5 amp one.
Acebeam say you should use high drain cells with the K60.

I run mine with 30Q's.

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the replies as they are very helpful. I tried out the comparator. It is very interesting. I see what you mean about the voltage drop. Both the GAs and the 30Qs look like they would work very well with the K60. I may have to take it easy on the L5 and L6 settings until I can spring for some high drain cells. Thanks a lot for the clarification.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the great review!

After the light steps down[2min.], can you move it down to level 5 and back up to level 6 to restore TURBO?

Thanks,,,Capolini