Acebeam X60 & X60M brief review and beamshots

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic review! It bears out exactly what I see personally, with the modded versions of these lights. Both are impressive, but the X60 takes the lead.

Hey folks.

I just received my new Acebeam X60M. The only light I have to compare it to is my Jetbeam RRT 3 1950 lumens flashlight. I don't know a lot about lights but I would say that I expected to see a bigger difference going from 1950 lumen to 10000 lumen. It's noticeable but not a huge amount I wouldn't think. Just my completely novice opinion though. The light seems to be quality built but there is a significant oddly shaped yellow spot in the center of the beam when shining on a wall.

Inverse square law, the fact that the X60M is very floody, and that it's nowhere near 10000 lumens account for that.

The modded X60M, with tweaks to the driver, additional heatsinking, and carrier tweaks to reduce resistance only produces around 8000 lumens. It's safe to say the stock version is probably around 6000-7000 lumens at best. That's an impressive number to be sure, but it's far low of factory claims. Which also amply explains why the now well reviewed X60, that does produce 5000 lumens, appears basically just as bright. In part because it is almost as bright, and in part because of the added throw, and cooler tint.

The other reason the X60M fails to impress is as a rough rule, it takes four times as much output to produce twice the apparent brightness. To see about double the brightness from the rrt3, or the typical skyray king/tm11, you need 8000+ lumens, of the same temperature, in the same general beam shape.

light36

Newly Enlightened
Lauri thanks for the very nice review , really liked the photos of the distance shots you took it gives everyone a very good idea what these lights can do . Hope to see some more reviews from you in the future :twothumbs . Cheers Niel

Last edited:

Cullihall

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic review! It bears out exactly what I see personally, with the modded versions of these lights. Both are impressive, but the X60 takes the lead.

Inverse square law, the fact that the X60M is very floody, and that it's nowhere near 10000 lumens account for that.

The modded X60M, with tweaks to the driver, additional heatsinking, and carrier tweaks to reduce resistance only produces around 8000 lumens. It's safe to say the stock version is probably around 6000-7000 lumens at best. That's an impressive number to be sure, but it's far low of factory claims. Which also amply explains why the now well reviewed X60, that does produce 5000 lumens, appears basically just as bright. In part because it is almost as bright, and in part because of the added throw, and cooler tint.

The other reason the X60M fails to impress is as a rough rule, it takes four times as much output to produce twice the apparent brightness. To see about double the brightness from the rrt3, or the typical skyray king/tm11, you need 8000+ lumens, of the same temperature, in the same general beam shape.

Thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to purchase the Acebeam X60L (6500 Lumen, 5 LED) version but can't find an online retailer selling it anywhere. Not even ebay. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks...

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if these are the batteries Lauri referred to as being supplied by the retailer that sold her the X60M flashlight?
30A SONY VTC5 18650 2600mAh 3.7V high drain Rechargeable LiMn battery-Flat top. I'm a little confused as these are LiMn batteries and the Acebeam website and literature seem to recommend High Drain Li-Ion batteries and these are High Drain LiMn batteries. Does Sony make both High Drain LiMn and High Drain Li-Ion batteries? I'm looking to order an Acebeam X60L flashlight, but I already have an Acebeam X60M on order and also ordered the 30A SONY VTC5 18650 2600mAh 3.7V high drain Rechargeable LiMn battery-Flat top from a different source. I want to make sure the batteries I ordered will work in the Acebeam X60M.

Thanks.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Yes, those are the same cells Lauri referred to. Sony VTC5.

2. LiMn is shorthand for lithium manganese. Lithium-ion cells, as commonly referred to, are actually LiCo - lithium cobalt. BOTH types are lithium ion. There are many other types, too. And obviously they have a lot more than two ingredients, lithium-ion is just a way to express the general type of cell, without getting bogged down in chemical details.

3. Where did you order the Sony VTC5 cells? They have been discontinued by the manufacturer, and are out of stock virtually everywhere. There have been a lot of counterfeit VTC5 going around, which apparently are OK cells, but not high-drain. If you have a source for genuine VTC5, I'm sure many of us would be interested.

4. Pretty much any decent 18650 will work in the X60 (if size and shape constraints are met). The question is which type will give you max output. Again, if you are getting genuine VTC5, they are an excellent choice, and rest assured no other cells will give you significantly more output (if any).

Hope this helps!

Cullihall

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if these are the batteries Lauri referred to as being supplied by the retailer that sold her the X60M flashlight?
30A SONY VTC5 18650 2600mAh 3.7V high drain Rechargeable LiMn battery-Flat top. I'm a little confused as these are LiMn batteries and the Acebeam website and literature seem to recommend High Drain Li-Ion batteries and these are High Drain LiMn batteries. Does Sony make both High Drain LiMn and High Drain Li-Ion batteries? I'm looking to order an Acebeam X60L flashlight, but I already have an Acebeam X60M on order and also ordered the 30A SONY VTC5 18650 2600mAh 3.7V high drain Rechargeable LiMn battery-Flat top from a different source. I want to make sure the batteries I ordered will work in the Acebeam X60M.

Thanks.

Where did you find a place to order the X60L from? I have the X60M as well. Awesome light. I also want the 6500 lumen because it boasts much better throw. Just not sure if I can justify another $400 light.

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply thedoc007. Always nice to see a veteran poster helping out an obvious newbie. I ordered the Sony VTC5 batteries from Vapolocity.com - also known as Suncitycigs.com. They are $16.00 each. They haven't arrived yet but my order was confirmed and they didn't say they were out of stock. Now you have me worried about whether they might be counterfeit cells. I'll let you know how they work when I receive them.

If the Sony VTC5 cells that I ordered turn out to be counterfeit, and the authentic cells are not in stock anywhere, do you have a recommendation of the best cells I could use (high drain) for the X60M? Highest quality cells with highest capacity? Thanks again for your advice....
1. Yes, those are the same cells Lauri referred to. Sony VTC5.

2. LiMn is shorthand for lithium manganese. Lithium-ion cells, as commonly referred to, are actually LiCo - lithium cobalt. BOTH types are lithium ion. There are many other types, too. And obviously they have a lot more than two ingredients, lithium-ion is just a way to express the general type of cell, without getting bogged down in chemical details.

3. Where did you order the Sony VTC5 cells? They have been discontinued by the manufacturer, and are out of stock virtually everywhere. There have been a lot of counterfeit VTC5 going around, which apparently are OK cells, but not high-drain. If you have a source for genuine VTC5, I'm sure many of us would be interested.

4. Pretty much any decent 18650 will work in the X60 (if size and shape constraints are met). The question is which type will give you max output. Again, if you are getting genuine VTC5, they are an excellent choice, and rest assured no other cells will give you significantly more output (if any).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
I went to the Acebeam.com site and submited a purchase inquiry. After several attempts I got a response from "Chris" who walked me through the order process on their site. They accept Pay Pal, he (or maybe it's "she", they are in China and there is a little language difficulty) will walk you through the way they do it. The price for the Acebeam X60L (6500 lumen) is $304.00 with an additional $39.00 for Fed Ex shipping. Haven't received mine yet, but they are supposed to start the shipping process today.
Where did you find a place to order the X60L from? I have the X60M as well. Awesome light. I also want the 6500 lumen because it boasts much better throw. Just not sure if I can justify another $400 light.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your reply thedoc007. Always nice to see a veteran poster helping out an obvious newbie. I ordered the Sony VTC5 batteries from Vapolocity.com - also known as Suncitycigs.com. They are $16.00 each. They haven't arrived yet but my order was confirmed and they didn't say they were out of stock. Now you have me worried about whether they might be counterfeit cells. I'll let you know how they work when I receive them.

If the Sony VTC5 cells that I ordered turn out to be counterfeit, and the authentic cells are not in stock anywhere, do you have a recommendation of the best cells I could use (high drain) for the X60M? Highest quality cells with highest capacity? Thanks again for your advice....

You are certainly welcome! I've only been on CPF for a couple years, and have learned a lot. Just trying to return the favor.

I used Vapolocity's contact page to send them a couple questions about the VTC5 cells. We'll see what they say - I will be sure to update this thread with their response.

The best options I know are the Samsung 25R, and the Efest V2 IMR cells. Both types are 2500 mAh, and will deliver similar performance to the Sony VTC5.

Cullihall

Newly Enlightened
I went to the Acebeam.com site and submited a purchase inquiry. After several attempts I got a response from "Chris" who walked me through the order process on their site. They accept Pay Pal, he (or maybe it's "she", they are in China and there is a little language difficulty) will walk you through the way they do it. The price for the Acebeam X60L (6500 lumen) is $304.00 with an additional $39.00 for Fed Ex shipping. Haven't received mine yet, but they are supposed to start the shipping process today.

Awesome. Thanks. I've dealt with Chris at Acebeam before. He sent me an ac charger because the one I received with my X60M was the European one. I'm in Canada. Same electrical plugs as US.

I love the X60M. Awesome light. I got six extra 3400 mAh Keeppower cells. They seem good.

Last edited:

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
Received the (hopefully) 30A SONY VTC5 18650 2600mAh 3.7V high drain Rechargeable LiMn battery-Flat top batteries from Vapolocity today. They came almost fully charged, each individual battery was in an individual cardboard container that had a hand written "C" on it and 2 of these were in another cardboard container that also had a "C" on it, I'm assuming these were charged at the retailer before shipping them out. As far as I can see they look exactly like all the pictures I've seen of the Sony VTC5, plain green wrapper with just a small squarish logo of some sort. The wrapper looks perfectly applied, no wrinkles, everything centered the way I would expect it. I would be really surprised if these turned out to be counterfeit, but just because I know there's no way I could duplicate the Sony VTC5 so perfectly doesn't mean somebody else couldn't do it. After completing the charge (about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes) I put these in my new Niwalker MM15 and took out the AW 3400mAh that I was using in it. I'm assuming that the AW batteries were underpowered for the Niwalker MM15 since they are not a high drain battery like the Sony VTC5. It is really really hard to tell the difference in the light with the Sony batteries. Every bit as bright as the AW batteries, maybe a tiny bit brighter, but really hard to say for sure. Anyway I don't know if any of this gives you a hint as to whether these are authentic Sony VTC5 batteries or not, but until I hear otherwise I've got myself convinced they are the real thing. But I'm interested in your opinion if you are suspicious that they are probably counterfeit after getting your questions answered from Vapolocity. Thanks again for your input
You are certainly welcome! I've only been on CPF for a couple years, and have learned a lot. Just trying to return the favor.

I used Vapolocity's contact page to send them a couple questions about the VTC5 cells. We'll see what they say - I will be sure to update this thread with their response.

The best options I know are the Samsung 25R, and the Efest V2 IMR cells. Both types are 2500 mAh, and will deliver similar performance to the Sony VTC5.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I'm interested in your opinion if you are suspicious that they are probably counterfeit after getting your questions answered from Vapolocity. Thanks again for your input

So far I have received no response at all, not even a form letter to let me know the question was received. It has only been 24 hours or so, will update again if they do respond.

Having them arrive fully charged is a negative, in my book. The manufacturer selects the ideal storage voltage, and ships them out that way. It is of course possible the retailer charged them fully after doing some testing, but I wouldn't count on it. Anyone who knows enough to do proper load testing should also know to return them to a lower storage voltage after testing. Who knows how long they might sit on a shelf before they are shipped out?

http://www.sun-vapers.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-sony-vtc5-battery/ has more information, specifically about the counterfeit VTC5. I would encourage you to read the article, and make your own determination. Unfortunately, there is no way to be 100% sure, but it might give you an idea what to look for.

Last edited:

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
Wow, after carefully examining and comparing my batteries to those shown on the link you supplied, it's clear as muddddd. Some aspects of my batteries look like the fake example and some look like the real. My batteries have 2 seams, but they are very clean straight smooth seams opposite each other, no raised part like in the fake. The positive terminals look clean without any sticky residue like in the fake, and the negative terminal is completely flat without any raised portion like the fake. The little square logo looks like the real pic, but I wouldn't say it looks like it was burned in. It looks more like the real pic than the fake pic. But there are two things on my batteries that trouble me. One is the backwards RL letters(or whatever those two letters are). On my batteries the top of the two letters align with the top of the two rows of smaller lettering. In the link real battery the bottom of the two letters align with the bottom of the two rows of lettering. The size of the two letters seem about the size of the real ones in the pics. Also the very top part of the batteries I have seem to look more like the fake pic with the shape of that faint indent ring as compared to the shape and distance of the faint indent ring on the real battery. Mine look almost exactly like the fake pic. So given the incredible numbers of fake Sony VTC5 batteries being dumped on the electronic cigarette market, and given the fact that the production of the real batteries was so limited in 2014, I am leaning towards these batteries I have are probably fake, but like many others I am definitely not sure. I have some Samsung 25R on order, do those have the same counterfeiting issues? I guess I could still use the fake batteries I have since they do seem to work pretty well. Would just be interesting to compare them to actual authentic Sony VTC5's. Thanks again for your taking the time to give some excellent advice.
So far I have received no response at all, not even a form letter to let me know the question was received. It has only been 24 hours or so, will update again if they do respond.

Having them arrive fully charged is a negative, in my book. The manufacturer selects the ideal storage voltage, and ships them out that way. It is of course possible the retailer charged them fully after doing some testing, but I wouldn't count on it. Anyone who knows enough to do proper load testing should also know to return them to a lower storage voltage after testing. Who knows how long they might sit on a shelf before they are shipped out?

http://www.sun-vapers.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-sony-vtc5-battery/ has more information, specifically about the counterfeit VTC5. I would encourage you to read the article, and make your own determination. Unfortunately, there is no way to be 100% sure, but it might give you an idea what to look for.

Last edited:

Latest posts