Aeon vs. Wee vs. LD01 vs. D10: Battle Royale of Small EDC Lights!!

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
just got my Aeon...lovely, tiny light, but even with the stippled reflector, it has a major cree ring.
The low is perfect; the high amazing.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
just got my Aeon...lovely, tiny light, but even with the stippled reflector, it has a major cree ring.

Nice and congratulations. How is the color of your beam? Does it run towards the greenish side?

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Just regular heatshrink, but I've been thinking of trying the waterproof type too! The main thing I don't care for is that these lights look so good naked, it seems a shame to put clothes on them! :huh:

Pete -- Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I agree -- dressing any decent-looking, naked light is most definitely a shame! :D :twothumbs :D

The more I think about it, using meltable center heatshrink just might look blurry/translucent afterwards. Why? The meltable adhesive contained within the heatshrink's inner circumference may not dry perfectly clear. I've never used the clear version to date - just the black, red, white and the blue varieties. I have observed a small, residual amount of the liquid adhesive seeping out from the end(s) of the heatshrink tubing upon occasion, during and after the application of heat from my heat gun. It does appear to dry clear (from what I can discern, albeit on everything but a clear cable). Before "dressing-up" one's torch, I'd first test a piece of the clear meltable center stuff on a glass, Plexiglass, or plastic (providing it doesn't melt) cylinder of some sort. Even if you did go through with it without testing it first, it's no big deal removing the heatshink, along with the dried adhesive - afterwards. Ask me how I know...:stupid:

-Clive

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Yikes! Tooth cracking = no good! I was looking at that 3M catalog of heatshrink stuff--very neat. This is a nice mod for many of these EDCs except perhaps for the Wee which is so tiny that there wouldn't be much room to wrap it!

That 3M stuff is GREAT I tell ya' !!! It's arguably the heatshrink tubing-of-choice throughout the electrical, electronics and automotive industries. Canusa is another outstanding brand that I've used for weatherproofing outdoor antennas and related hardware.

You can purchase heatshrink to fit (cover) literally every known diameter of wire, from 50 AWG through 4/0 (and above!). It can be a real bear to apply the 'shrink tubing under very cramped wiring conditions, such as a densely-packed loom of coiled 40-AWG wires.:mecry: But hey, it's all in good fun, right?:crackup:

Our EDCs are just a wee bit better with the implementation of heatshrink! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

-Clive

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Yikes! Tooth cracking = no good!

Applevision -- You couldn't be more right-on target: tooth cracking is most definitely NO D*MNED GOOD!!! :eeksign: Torch-modding is by far the more productive and less painful occupation. :thumbsup:

-Clive

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, it is not so much green as incandescent-yellow-ish....very nice color rendering, especially of foliage
Lovely!

Mine is a teeny bit on the green side, but is still very pleasant and does a great job outdoors as well. I think that beam tint/color is one of the next "big things"--McGizmo is focusing on it a lot (very cool thread on the Sun Drop) and I think it is refreshing to think of something other than (well, in addition to) raw lumen power and efficiency... Hee hee!

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wait, are you serious? I was thinking of getting a Ti Aeon, but for that price (even for the price of the Alu), it still have a Cree ring??

MKLight

Enlightened
Mine has a major Cree Ring, too. It's annoying when white wall hunting, but not noticeable when using it outside.

I see you have the Ion, as well. They are very similar in size. The head is a bit different. From the side, it looks identical. From the front end and inside the head (when looking at it - I haven't taken either the Ion or Aeon apart ever), the Ion has thicker walls (at least by double - I don't have either in front of me right now) and a very unique (to me) looking window with the stippled reflector. The Aeon has a more traditional look to it with its R2 Emitter. The reflector has a LOP texture to it and is very clear...the Ion almost looks frosted. In real world use, as you know, the Ion is all flood and works well for close-up use. The Aeon is more traditional and competes well against my Fenix P2D Q5 Premium with a textured reflector...low on the Aeon is similar to low on the P2D; high on the Aeon is somewhere between high and turbo on the P2D...closer to Turbo.

Hope this helps!
Mike

EDIT: Look at this link, also. MSax, DM51, and Endeavour (Muyshondt creator), among others, have interesting Aeon information: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195649

Wait, are you serious? I was thinking of getting a Ti Aeon, but for that price (even for the price of the Alu), it still have a Cree ring??

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Applevision, I have a question for you -- if you let the Wee run for the entirety of its battery capacity (15 minutes?) while holding it, does it still get so hot as to be painful to hold?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I recall, when you first purchased a CR2 Ion years ago you complained to me that the light did, in fact, have a hotspot, when everyone posting on the CPF was stating that it was 100% flood with no discernible spot (something which I had never once stated). People's opinions are unique and their own, and vary from person to person.

MKLight says that the Aeon has a "major Cree ring", and he's the first and only one I'm aware of to have complained about the beam pattern of the Aeon or Nautilus. :shrug: That's not to say his opinion is wrong - clearly he sees something worth mentioning - but the only person who can be an adequate judge of what will satisfy your needs is you. I'm fairly sure there are some review threads posted with beamshots at different fstop settings here where you could get a better mental image of what the beam is like.

For what it's worth, I think the Aeon's beam is just fine, otherwise I wouldn't have made it, much less put my name on it. But, of course, I'm biased. :nana:

-Enrique

MKLight

Enlightened
Enrique,

Hi! I do not have have an issue or complaint about my/your Aeon. In fact, I am considering ordering another since I just noticed the "Christmas Special" on your website. When sitting at my desk and aiming the Aeon at the wall, I do see rings, but when using it in the real world, I don't see anything but clean light.

I've owned the Aeon for about 3-weeks. Its in the Natural Color of HAIII. I'm considerning the Titanium version. Also, I've had an Ion for years and a Mako on the way. I am definitely a supporter of the quality and craftsmanship you put into your work.

So, bottomline, I apologize if I sounded like I made a complaint...no complaints here! :) Great work!!!:twothumbs

Thanks,
Mike

EDIT: Enrique - I just saw your post at https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217116; PP Sent for the Titanium...didn't realize it expired tonight. Thanks for the special! :)

As I recall, when you first purchased a CR2 Ion years ago you complained to me that the light did, in fact, have a hotspot, when everyone posting on the CPF was stating that it was 100% flood with no discernible spot (something which I had never once stated). People's opinions are unique and their own, and vary from person to person.

MKLight says that the Aeon has a "major Cree ring", and he's the first and only one I'm aware of to have complained about the beam pattern of the Aeon or Nautilus. :shrug: That's not to say his opinion is wrong - clearly he sees something worth mentioning - but the only person who can be an adequate judge of what will satisfy your needs is you. I'm fairly sure there are some review threads posted with beamshots at different fstop settings here where you could get a better mental image of what the beam is like.

For what it's worth, I think the Aeon's beam is just fine, otherwise I wouldn't have made it, much less put my name on it. But, of course, I'm biased. :nana:

-Enrique

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look at it sort of like this; it is not CREE Ring free, but it's hidden so well as to not be noticeable when in use. This is a small light, and the way it works is it seems to create a relatively large hotspot. So when I'm using it, everything I need is in the hotspot; which is relatively smooth. There is a very dramatic change in the light level for the flood. between the hotspot and the flood is not a perfectly smooth transition, and depending on the distance you might see a faint hint of a CREE ring.

I have to say that for a small light like the Aeon, it producing a wonderful beam from it's CREE emitter. The contrast between the Hotspot and flood is quite dramatic, but I find it works very well as an EDC beam.

It's got it's own profile; it's not as smooth as the BitZ or NovaTac, but it's a great bean that works well near field and at moderate distances.

As was mentioned, you have to see it yourself as these things are very subjective. I'm sure there may be some variation between units, but based on reports it looks like quality control is very tight.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Applevision, I have a question for you -- if you let the Wee run for the entirety of its battery capacity (15 minutes?) while holding it, does it still get so hot as to be painful to hold?

Hey carrot, I would say that after just 2-3 min it is so hot that I always turn it off to rest it. I would be scared to go much longer than that in general, and would not want to try the 15 minutes without some knowledgeable folks around.:poof:

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
just my 2 cents here.

Firstly, you picked some awesome lights to compare for EDC lights. I have all but the D10, and love them all!

The Aeon is a sweet light, pricey, and has a nice warm beam in mine. I think I like it's bigger bro the Nautilus though as it runs the more common CR123 AND has a longer run time and is just a fraction larger IMHO. I just bought it because I didn't have it in my collection.

The WEE is a REALLY sweet light for it's size. I just got it as well direct from the company and plan to wear it on a chain, but so far it has ridden nicely in my coin pocket in my jeans. I run the 50 lumen bulb for a runtime of 30 min unregulated, but also have the 25 lumen that runs for 90 mins.

One of the first lights I owned was the LD01 and is still one of my favorite "Go To" lights for it's size, brightness and multimodes. It's also pretty cheap which makes me less likely to make it a "safe queen" and actually use it. It came to the resuce at Church one day when I assisted the pastor lighting his bible and notes alllowing him to finish his sermon after the power went out.

Overall, all the lights above have become my secondary backup lights and are carried in conjunction with my Fenix P3D or other similar sized light. I don't think one can go wrong with any of the above lights!:thumbsup:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
just my 2 cents here.

Firstly, you picked some awesome lights to compare for EDC lights. I have all but the D10, and love them all!

The Aeon is a sweet light, pricey, and has a nice warm beam in mine. I think I like it's bigger bro the Nautilus though as it runs the more common CR123 AND has a longer run time and is just a fraction larger IMHO. I just bought it because I didn't have it in my collection.

The WEE is a REALLY sweet light for it's size. I just got it as well direct from the company and plan to wear it on a chain, but so far it has ridden nicely in my coin pocket in my jeans. I run the 50 lumen bulb for a runtime of 30 min unregulated, but also have the 25 lumen that runs for 90 mins.

One of the first lights I owned was the LD01 and is still one of my favorite "Go To" lights for it's size, brightness and multimodes. It's also pretty cheap which makes me less likely to make it a "safe queen" and actually use it. It came to the resuce at Church one day when I assisted the pastor lighting his bible and notes alllowing him to finish his sermon after the power went out.

Overall, all the lights above have become my secondary backup lights and are carried in conjunction with my Fenix P3D or other similar sized light. I don't think one can go wrong with any of the above lights!:thumbsup:

Good points all round!

I have to say, the more folks I talk to, the more stories I hear about the LD01 coming to the rescue! Mine has already saved the day on several occasions--there is something magical about that light! :party: