Introducing: The AEON!!! A New Light from Endeavour!!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Introducing......The AEON!!!

DSC02413.jpg

A few weeks ago I was asked to evaluate a prototype light currently under construction by Endeavour. For those of you that know his work, he is the creator of the CR2 Ion and more recently the Nautilus.

DSC02417.jpg

This most recent creation is to be named the Aeon. It is a CR2 based light about the same size as the CR2 Ion. However, this light is based more on the functionality of the Nautilus than the CR2 Ion. The light is equipped with a parabolic reflector and the unit that I was provided contains a R2 bin XR-E. The light is trimmed out similar to the Nautilus in the fact that it contains a key ring that can fold into the tail to provide tail-standing ability. It sports dual output, gold plated circut boards, water resistance, etc.

One new feature on this light as compared to his other offerings is a new sapphire window to provide the ultimate in durability and scratch resistance. I would describe it as a mini-Nautilus.

DSC02421.jpg

The prototype was produced in raw aluminum, but I have been informed of a possibility of a titanium offering. The center piece will also be made from brass as in the Nautilus, as well as the split ring. However, the rest of the light will pretty much look like the final production item shown here.

DSC02432.jpg

DSC02428.jpg

DSC02425.jpg

DSC02429.jpg

This light made its debute at Photon Fest 10 at Milkyspit's house earlier this month. As you can imagine the light was immediately compared to the CR2 Ion due to it size. However, the light should really be compared to the Nautilus and not the Ion due to the characteristics of the beam pattern. The CR2 Ion was designed to produce and even flood beam, whereas the Nautilus was intended to be used in situations where more long-distance illumination was needed. The Aeon, while similar in size and aesthetics to the CR2 Ion, is similar in concept and is a derivative design of the Nautilus, NOT of the Ion. The overwhelming conclusion at PF10 was that if you had the choice, the Aeon would be the winner, as it produces a more well rounded and functional beam pattern.

I have to say that I have really enjoyed my time with the light and it has since been sent off to another individual for their review. Hopefully, that person could add their $0.02 to this review. I would have taken some beamshots, but as I am still in the training wheel stage of producing those, I opted not to post them. All I can say about the beam shape is that again it is more Nautilus-like than anything.

A timeframe for release has not been set as of yet, although I would assume it would be later this year. The first pieces to arrive will likely be a limited run in titanium. :thumbsup:

Hats off to Endeavour, and thank you for allowing me to review this very special prototype.

MSax

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
most definitely in for one in titanium. nice! probably the only light that will make me break out of my CR123A, AA and AAA limitation and get into CR2s. cant wait.

nautilus is my non-work EDC right now.

mspeterson

Enlightened
Been waiting for this light, sounds like a winner!!!:party:

I"ll take it!!! One in TI, one HANAT for starters....:devil:

Thanks for the review, now how about some beamshots.......:nana::whistle:

Walt175

Enlightened
I was able to examine this light at PF10. It is everything I always wished the ION would be. Output was almost the same as my Nautilus, but it is quite a bit smaller. With the drivers Enrique usually uses, runtime should be decent even on a CR2. Hopefully I'll have enough $$ available when they become availalbe.:broke:

Dave, I blame you for this!!!!:ohgeez:

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
If Enrique is looking please start a sign up list and sign me up for a light in Aluminum.

Thanks, lyrrag

Burgess

Flashaholic
to MSax --

Great review of this flashlight. :thumbsup:

And your absolutely Beautiful Photographs, also !

:twothumbs ___ :kewlpics: ___ :goodjob:

_

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

To those who have PMed me and those of you here reading, the light MSaxatilus kindly hosted for me at PF10 is a prototype of a light to come; It is not yet ready for sale, but there is a titanium run planned for release sometime in the near future once everything is completed to my satisfaction. :)

alfreddajero: I will provide a full set of details including runtimes once the parts from the production run are in; I have not taken runtime measurements on the prototype.

lyrrag: No sign ups or any "lists" this time around, and certainly not in this thread. :nana:

greenstuffs: The exterior aesthetics are indeed very similar to that of the old CR2 Ion as MSaxatilus mentioned and you noticed. The only major change visible on the exterior of the prototype would be the bezel aperture being wider, but the entire internal system of the light from the bezel down is completely new and different in concept and design than what you might infer from similar exterior styling. The light is, effectively, a miniaturized Nautilus and was designed as such.

MSaxatilus: Thanks for having hosted the light at PF10 and taking the time to evaluate and share your impressions of it, I hope you and the folks at PF10 enjoyed it.

Take care folks.

-Enrique

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSaxatilus: Thanks for having hosted the light at PF10 and taking the time to evaluate and share your impressions of it, I hope you and the folks at PF10 enjoyed it.

No problem. It was my pleasure. Truely great light.

MSax

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the light and, as MS reported, it is a very nice step in the progression of Endeavor lights! Nice Enrique and nice review MSax!

Karl

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Very very nice light.:ironic:

I am looking for an Nautilus some time ago, but this little beauty is more
interessting for me.

Where will we get to know, when you start to sell this run?

DM51

Flashaholic
I have to say that I have really enjoyed my time with the light and it has since been sent off to another individual for their review. Hopefully, that person could add their $0.02 to this review.
... and yes folks, I am "that person"!

Light just received, only 10 minutes ago - thanks for forwarding it on, MSax - I will do a few comparisons and post some findings here in due course, to supplement your very useful review.

Externally the Aeon looks almost identical to the CR2 Ion, except it has a much larger window and a better reflector. Internally, the head/switching mechanism is like the Nautilus's - another big improvement. The beam is brighter and has a much better shape and pattern than the Cree version of the CR2 Ion.

Dang it, the thing has only been here 15 minutes, and already I can see a Ti version replacing my ever-faithful CR2 Ion XT, which has been on my keychain for 15 months now...

More in due course.

DM51

Flashaholic
@DM51

how about some comparison beamshots with cr2-ion and the AEON?!:)
Yes, I will be doing comparisons of the Aeon with both the original and XR-E version of the Ion, and the Nautilus too. LOL, I've only just received it - at least let me wait until it's dark here!